Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Evolution X Paddle Shifter install on Evolution 7 GTA

Old Nov 21, 2014, 08:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evolution X Paddle Shifter install on Evolution 7 GTA

Evolution X Paddle Shifter install on Evolution 7 GTA by Mashack Biroo

To all the Evo 7 GTA owners it is possible to install the Evo X/Lancer Ralliart/ Lancer GT/ Outlander GT (part# 2401A004) paddle shifters to our steering columns. The entire process is very simple which makes me wonder why this mod isn't done by all GTA owners. The hardest part in my opinion is cutting the steering column cover to fit the assembly.

I believe this write up is detailed enough that anyone should be able to do it without any trouble.

I'm fine with sharing just give credit when posting on other forums and reference the to this post.

Parts & Tools needed

• Paddle Shifter Assembly (part# 2401A004)
• 3 lengths of wire (Blue, Green & Yellow) enough to reach gear lever
• Electrical tape or wire splices or solder & heatshrink
• Phillips screwdriver
• 10mm socket with extension
• 2 fairly long screws
• Flat end screwdriver or trim removal tool

Step 1

Remove Steering wheel

* Please note I will not show this process because I really didn't see any reason to remove my wheel just to take some pics. Please follow all guidelines for removing a steering wheel. I also recommend disconnecting the battery until needed.

Step 2

Remove lower dash which is held with (2) Phillips screws and lastly (1) 10mm bolt after you remove the fuse box cover.

Step 3

Remove the steering column cover but removing (3) Phillips screws beneath the bottom portion and pulling down the tilt adjust lever.

Step 4

Install Paddle Shifter assembly by screwing it directly into the white plastic of the indicator and wiper stalks using the (2) holes at the top of the assembly.

The top should be firmly secured but the bottom part will be loose, trust me when you place the steering column cover back on it there will be no more movement.

It should look something like this minus the Steering wheel

Step 5

Now we are ready to start the wiring, there are (3) wires namely green, blue and yellow which we now have to connect to the gear lever assembly to make the paddles work.

You can either cut off the connector like I did or spice into the (3) wires, basically we're just lengthening the wires. I really recommend you solder and apply heatshrink if you're going to cut off the connector like I did. Please don't follow my ghetto method -_-

Just leave your wires for now, we have more trim to remove

Step 6

Removing the center console

Start by removing the cigarette lighter and ashtray/coin tray to gain access to our first screw and light. To remove light just twist and push when it lines up with the notches.

Next step is to remove the blue trimming. It is held on by tabs all around, use either a trim removal tool or flat head screw driver wrapped in cloth (to prevent damage)

Place your gear lever in D and don't forget to disconnect the (2) wires for the cigarette lighter and twist out the 2nd light. It should look something like this.

Next step is to remove the plastic push clip near the driver foot well, just push in the center and pop it out using flat head screw driver/trim tool.

Our second part of the console is held on (3) 10mm bolts in the cubby under the armrest and (2) clips towards the front just after the gear lever.

Raise the back up at angle and with little coaxing with your other hand the front should pop off. Continue raising vertically to clear handbrake lever. After this has been removed you will see the last (2) Phillips screws hold the front portion.

Step 7

With everything out of the way you will finally have access to the connector for the gear lever on the passenger side. I recommend you free it from the metal frame to give you more working room. The connector has a total (6) wires, we will be splicing into only (3), the red, white and yellow on the right side. Route your extension wires from the paddle shifter through the dash and center console to reach this area.

Splice the Green with the Red, the Blue with the White and Yellow with the Yellow as shown in the picture.

To test switch on the vehicle, shift to manual mode and upshift & downshift with paddle. This configuration allows you to shift using the gear lever, steering controls and your newly installed paddle shifter!!

* Please note I only tested mine after the steering was back on and connected so I'm not entirely sure if the paddles will work without its controls connected.

Final step

Reassembly

I would start with the placing steering wheel back on as per normal procedure then reinstall the center console by just doing the removal steps in reverse. As I mentioned earlier you will have to cut and modify your bottom half of you steering column cover to clear the assembly.

Please measure as much as possible before cutting to prevent a massacre as in my case.:cry::frust:

The two screws in the bottom piece by the lever will secure the Paddle assembly and there will be virtually no movement when tightened.

After you have installed the modified cover, you can continue to install the lower dash that was removed.

Pics of finished install

Old Nov 22, 2014, 12:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is a pretty cool write up. does the GTA come with stock paddle shifters?
Old Nov 22, 2014, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by zenki-s13
This is a pretty cool write up. does the GTA come with stock paddle shifters?
No the GTA comes with just steering controls and the gear lever manual option. Which i why I installed the Paddles from the Evo X
Old Dec 2, 2014, 01:52 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
great write up
Old Dec 3, 2014, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Sikilla
great write up
Thanks man.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 12:09 AM

Help

Great write up... I'm trying to do this install but the pictures are not leading, do you still have them....

Originally Posted by Mcstikman
Evolution X Paddle Shifter install on Evolution 7 GTA by Mashack Biroo

To all the Evo 7 GTA owners it is possible to install the Evo X/Lancer Ralliart/ Lancer GT/ Outlander GT (part# 2401A004) paddle shifters to our steering columns. The entire process is very simple which makes me wonder why this mod isn't done by all GTA owners. The hardest part in my opinion is cutting the steering column cover to fit the assembly.

I believe this write up is detailed enough that anyone should be able to do it without any trouble.

I'm fine with sharing just give credit when posting on other forums and reference the to this post.

Parts & Tools needed

• Phillips screwdriver
• 2 fairly long screws

Step 1

Remove Steering wheel

* Please note I will not show this process because I really didn't see any reason to remove my wheel just to take some pics. Please follow all guidelines for removing a steering wheel. I also recommend disconnecting the battery until needed.

Step 2

Remove lower dash which is held with (2) Phillips screws and lastly (1) 10mm bolt after you remove the fuse box cover.

Step 3

Remove the steering column cover but removing (3) Phillips screws beneath the bottom portion and pulling down the tilt adjust lever.

Step 4

Install Paddle Shifter assembly by screwing it directly into the white plastic of the indicator and wiper stalks using the (2) holes at the top of the assembly.

The top should be firmly secured but the bottom part will be loose, trust me when you place the steering column cover back on it there will be no more movement.

Step 5

Now we are ready to start the wiring, there are (3) wires namely green, blue and yellow which we now have to connect to the gear lever assembly to make the paddles work.

You can either cut off the connector like I did or spice into the (3) wires, basically we're just lengthening the wires. I really recommend you solder and apply heatshrink if you're going to cut off the connector like I did. Please don't follow my ghetto method -_-

Step 6

Start by removing the cigarette lighter and ashtray/coin tray to gain access to our first screw and light. To remove light just twist and push when it lines up with the notches.

Next step is to remove the blue trimming. It is held on by tabs all around, use either a trim removal tool or flat head screw driver wrapped in cloth (to prevent damage)

Place your gear lever in D and don't forget to disconnect the (2) wires for the cigarette lighter and twist out the 2nd light. It should look something like this.

Next step is to remove the plastic push clip near the driver foot well, just push in the center and pop it out using flat head screw driver/trim tool.

Our second part of the console is held on (3) 10mm bolts in the cubby under the armrest and (2) clips towards the front just after the gear lever.

Raise the back up at angle and with little coaxing with your other hand the front should pop off. Continue raising vertically to clear handbrake lever. After this has been removed you will see the last (2) Phillips screws hold the front portion.

Step 7

With everything out of the way you will finally have access to the connector for the gear lever on the passenger side. I recommend you free it from the metal frame to give you more working room. The connector has a total (6) wires, we will be splicing into only (3), the red, white and yellow on the right side. Route your extension wires from the paddle shifter through the dash and center console to reach this area.

Splice the Green with the Red, the Blue with the White and Yellow with the Yellow as shown in the picture.

To test switch on the vehicle, shift to manual mode and upshift & downshift with paddle. This configuration allows you to shift using the gear lever, steering controls and your newly installed paddle shifter!!

* Please note I only tested mine after the steering was back on and connected so I'm not entirely sure if the paddles will work without its controls connected.

Final step

Reassembly

I would start with the placing steering wheel back on as per normal procedure then reinstall the center console by just doing the removal steps in reverse. As I mentioned earlier you will have to cut and modify your bottom half of you steering column cover to clear the assembly.

Please measure as much as possible before cutting to prevent a massacre as in my case.:cry::frust:

The two screws in the bottom piece by the lever will secure the Paddle assembly and there will be virtually no movement when tightened.

After you have installed the modified cover, you can continue to install the lower dash that was removed.

Pics of finished install

Old Mar 11, 2016, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Djcontrol
Great write up... I'm trying to do this install but the pictures are not leading, do you still have them....
I will have to check, there is also a copy of this writeup on MLR you can check there
The following users liked this post:
br3akrboi (Mar 17, 2024)
Old Mar 11, 2016, 06:13 AM

I will have to check, there is also a copy of this writeup on MLR you can check there

I did check there as well ... I'm just stuck on last part, I've removed wheel fitted the paddles , going to yes a standard evo7 steering wheel.. I've tun cables to gear stick but a little unsure which connector I'm connecting to ? Thanks
Old Mar 11, 2016, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
If you find the pictures re-upload them to Imgur or the forum itself

MLR doesn't have the pictures either
br3akrboi (Mar 17, 2024)
Old May 28, 2019, 08:32 PM

Great write up, but if photos could be posted that would be perfect !
br3akrboi (Mar 17, 2024)
Old May 13, 2020, 01:36 AM

Will this fit on a lancer asx?

="4"%Evolution X Paddle Shifter install on Evolution 7 GTA by Mashack Biroo

Parts & Tools needed

• Phillips screwdriver
• 2 fairly long screws

Step 1

Remove Steering wheel

Step 2

Step 3

Step 4

Step 5

Step 6

Step 7

Final step

Reassembly

Pics of finished install

​​​​​​Will this fit the lancer sport back or lancer asx?
Old Mar 17, 2024, 09:51 AM

Is this posted anywhere else with working pictures?