Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

sunroof

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2016, 08:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
sunroof

sunroof jammed up a couple of months ago but now i finally have a garage to do repairs in, aka bought a house, and the motor is not the problem its the cable which runs in the cable guides. the driver side sticks and it causes the sunroof to go cockeyed. i was wondering if removing the assembly and spraying brake clean on it n then blowing compressed air and then wd40 would work or not? if anyone else has run into this problem and done so please feel free to post up. if not i will be attempting and then posting results.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 09:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
You need to remove sunroof assembly track and all.

Replace cables and mechanism that glass bolts on to
Old Oct 28, 2016, 03:37 AM

the cables are replaceable, ok thank you.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 06:49 AM
Evolved Member

Ive never done a evo but the cars i have done have cables. I domt know what toncall the part that attaches the glass to the cables
Old Oct 28, 2016, 08:39 AM

its got cables inside some copper tubing and from what i see the only portion of cable exposed is where the motor engages. its not looking like it separates from the track. i will remove the entire assembly from the car tomorrow and figure it out and then ill take some pics and post them up if you would like.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hktrigguy
its got cables inside some copper tubing and from what i see the only portion of cable exposed is where the motor engages. its not looking like it separates from the track. i will remove the entire assembly from the car tomorrow and figure it out and then ill take some pics and post them up if you would like.

Yes those cables also have a bracket mechanism that attaches the cables to the sunroof glass, it isn't just cables bolted to the glass is it? I don't have a sunroof. Damn rs
Old Oct 28, 2016, 09:57 AM

idk ill have to check it out tomorrow when i get the chance to continue working on it. and what a great problem to have lol. ive always wanted a rs!
Old Oct 28, 2016, 10:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Any pictures you can take would be greatly appreciated. I have the same issue, and haven't had the time to pull out my sunroof assembly and order parts.

Also, interested in how you deal with the drain tubes.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 11:31 AM

ok ill document what i can and post it up for you tomorrow or sunday depending how easily things go with working on it tomorrow
The following users liked this post:
dr_latino999 (Oct 28, 2016)
Old Oct 28, 2016, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

idk ill have to check it out tomorrow when i get the chance to continue working on it. and what a great problem to have lol. ive always wanted a rs!
I wouldn't trade my rs.

Just hate having to roll down my winders with my hands.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 05:06 PM

man i wish i had manual everything lol rs by far best model!
Old Oct 30, 2016, 07:06 PM

well guys i got stuck doing stuff around the house this weekend so i never got the chance to mess with the evo. and since tomorrow is Halloween i wont be able to do anything since ill be manning the door for all the little monsters out there lol so tuesday i will have my chance since the woman works late as well. so ill have the time to tear into it!
Old Oct 31, 2016, 12:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
well guys i got stuck doing stuff around the house this weekend so i never got the chance to mess with the evo. and since tomorrow is Halloween i wont be able to do anything since ill be manning the door for all the little monsters out there lol so tuesday i will have my chance since the woman works late as well. so ill have the time to tear into it!
No drama here