Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

OEM Evo 9 MR aluminum shift knob sticker

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2016, 07:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OEM Evo 9 MR aluminum shift knob sticker

Hey guys,

Has anyone ever disassembled their OEM knob. Here's the story. I am looking to replace my OEM knob, but Mitsu doesnt make them anymore. I found the aluminum part and bought it and its new. Problem is it doesnt have the sticker. The sticker on my current knob is fine, but I cant for the life of me get it to come off. there is also some sort of bolt piece under it. You can see the bottom end if you unscrew the knob and look below. I know its a random question, but if anyone has any insight or ideas I would appreciate it. Thanks.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 09:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I was able to get the sticker off because the bolt piece on mine is slightly loose, i was able to back it through the top by hand tightening and then loosening it a quarter turn (the knob takes some muscle to break lose) and repeating, I have never taken the bolt piece all the way out but i was able to back it out enough to get the sticker off (The bolt piece was making it so the knob was crooked).

be warned that I have not fully disassembled my shift knob though.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 08:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
To remove the shift pattern disc, you have to remove the clear plastic "dome" piece that sits on top of it. It's basically a clear plastic sticker. I used a safety pin, I would say be careful not to damage the knob, but you probably don't care about damaging the old one. Basically, you just have to pry off the dome with something. They're cheap and not worth trying to salvage (this is the type of dome I'm referring to, but I can't remember the diameter, so you'll have to measure yours). The shift pattern disc is a separate piece from the dome. The shift pattern disc has some sort of black adhesive to attach it to the knob. You might have to pry the disc out of the hole in the knob if doesn't come off when you remove the dome. Be careful not to damage the disc. It's a thin piece of carbon fiber that I was able to pry out pretty easily but not before I scratched the surface with whatever tool I used. The bolt piece you're seeing is the set screw that holds the knob to the shift lever. The proper way to remove the knob is to remove the dome, remove the shift pattern disc, remove the set screw using a hex key/allen wrench, and then unscrew the knob from the lever. For reinstallation, screw the knob down onto the lever, install and tighten the set screw to the knob, clean the shift pattern disc mounting surface with rubbing alcohol, align the disc and install with adhesive (I'm not sure what the factory used, but it should be something that doesn't make the disc impossible to remove), then install the dome.

Last edited by nirvancol; Jan 23, 2017 at 08:20 AM.