Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Custom Intercooler Screen

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2003, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Custom Intercooler Screen

I improvised this custom intercooler grill for my long roadtrip I had recently, but since love bug season is still in effect (at least in Houston), I'm gonna make more to use. They're easy to make, install, and dispose of, and best of all, they'll protect your intercooler from ALL bug/rock dents. Only about 5% of bug guts will seep through, but that's only noticeable if you take very long road trips in the night, when most bugs attack your car. I had no heating or mechanical issues with the screen on; a lot of air will still pass through.

SUPPLIES
I tried making this 'how to' as easy and practical as possible, but there's only one catch. You have to buy a $13 roll of 7ft window screen, since they come in no smaller sizes (I went with the highest quality kind at Home Depot). You should be able to make about 11-12 screens with a whole roll. The screen is made of polyester and is very pliable, so it will not scratch your bumper when installing it, nor will it rust. Note the strength of the screen in the pic below .

The only other thing you'll need is a pair of grocery ties, which you can get at any grocery store for free. This will hold the upper corners of the grill to your intercooler cage better. It's not necessary, but it's worth putting on for extra measures. I shaved the sides of the ties so they got skinnier.

DIRECTIONS ON HOW TO CUT THE SCREEN
1. cut a rectangular piece of screen the size of 30" X 7"

2. measure a 2" triangle (length of sides, not the hypotenuse) off the upper corners and cut it off

3. mark some dots from the measurements below and cut that rounded corner off from the bottom of the screen on both sides. It's not important that the measurements are that precise, since you're going to tuck the bottom of the screen behind your bumper.

4. the intercooler cage on your car is held on by two bolts at the bottom, so you'll have to cut 2 square pieces off to fit over it. measurements are below:

5. all you have to do now is fit the screen over the intercooler. tuck the slack of the screen behind the bumper on the bottom only. you won't be able to tuck it on top. it's easiest to start in the middle, where the bolts are. it should fit snugly and somewhat easily. if you get caught on the cage somewhere, just slide it back and forth and it should slide in.

6. if you want to hold down the screen even better, use the grocery ties and wrap/twist it on the cage first, and then wrap it through the threads of the screen.

There you have it. Total protection for your intercooler. No more having to meticulously bend out the fins or attempt to powerwash the intercooler without damaging it.
Old Apr 12, 2004, 11:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Discuss thread here