Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

CompuStar Remote Start Question

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2005, 12:08 PM
XYZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CompuStar Remote Start Question

Hello,

Has anyone here installed the CompuStar 2wssas alarm them-self before? I had it installed by a CompuStar authorized installer, however, the remote start does not work correctly. Supposely, you cannot start the car if it is not in reservation mode or if the door is open. But mine does. When i called my installer, he said he set the brain of the alarm to see my car as automatic by cutting a relay (or a wire, i forget what he said), and can only fix it by installing a brand new brain for the alarm. Is this true? It would seem like a reversible procedure to me rather than having to install a brand new alarm. I have not discuss the details with him because he said he was extremely busy, and told me to call back tomorrow (Wednesday). Now I just want to see if he's just being lazy and BSing me or is it really an irreversible procedure. Thanks in advance for any help or advice.
Old May 10, 2005, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Don't our cars require the clutch to be pushed in before starting?
Old May 10, 2005, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
you can disable the clutch safety feature...
supposedly it's illegal in most states... but who's going to bust someone for disabling that feature?

as for the issue... i have a similar alarm that compustar based their design off of... ultraXR series... depending on how your installer installed your alarm... their are a few wires that you could tap into diff locations from what's suggested by the manufacturer bypassing those features... the way i have mine... is that if the alarm is disabled... and the autostart is activated (push the button on the transmitter)... the alarm arms itself and starts the car... yes... it'll start with the door open if you left it open...

as far as installing a diff brand... that could vary depending on the brand... not all alarms are installed the same way... the actual ignition harness wiring stays the same... yet the accessory features change... i.e. autostart, trunk pop, windows down, etc.etc.
Old May 10, 2005, 12:27 PM
Evolving Member

I have the Compustar 2WFM-AS which is almost the same as the one you have except less range. My remote start is disabled when a number of things occur including opening a door after the remote start is set. It's actually a pain because once you leave the car, you can't go back in without disabling the alarm.

More importantly is that the car won't start when it is in gear and the parking brake isn't engaged. There's a sequence of events that must occur to activate the remote start setup. For me, it's easy to tell because my TT will stay on when I setup the remote start properly.

I'd rather have this portion working so that it doesn't remote start while I'm in gear....then just because the door opened prior.

But in any case, I'd take it in to get adjusted because it appears to be not working correctly....whether they have to pull it and redo it, make sure it's done to your satisfaction since you're paying so much for the setup.
Old May 10, 2005, 01:02 PM
XYZ

Thanks for the replies guys.

LilJapanBoy: Yea, that's what I thought, because I choose CompuStar for it's safety features in regards to manual transmission. Sigh, I guess I will have to go back and have him work on it. I just don't want to drive 50 minutes and wait for 6 hours on a Saturday morning again. Ugh!!

Anyone else know whether a new brain is required just for setting it from Automatic to Manual mode?