Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

TSX HID retrofit on Evo IX GSR

Old Aug 21, 2008, 06:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSX HID retrofit on Evo IX GSR

Before you read my poorly written/illustrated post you might want to read my friend's post with the same mod. TeKiZeRo Review

Basically when it came time to buy my Evo, I wanted an Evo IX GSR + HIDs. I assume that you are considering this setup as well if you found this post. I did considerable research trying to retrofit my car to have this ability. Please be aware that I didn't care about having in car control for leveling. The options I found are listed below:

1) Retrofit USDM lenses/housings with aftermarket HIDs
2) Retrofit USDM lenses/housings, bulbs, and wiring harness
3) Retrofit JDM lenses/housings with aftermarket HIDS
4) Slap in just aftermarket HIDs
4) Retrofit with TSX lenses with stock housing and aftermarket HIDS

Now the first two options seemed prohibitively expensive because of the housing and/or wiring harness. In addition to this, wiring that action up would be a lot of work for the average enthusiast. The third option was considered, but the cutoff would basically blind people at a distance and it isn't that much cheaper imho.

(Side Note: What the hell is the cutoff? Well there is a component inside the lens/housing that modifies the light beam. Imagine putting a cardboard box edge against the top of a flashlight beam. This prevents the light from shooting too high. Now in the US (USDM) the edge of the cardboard is slightly higher on the right side to allow light at a distance to rise up and reflect off signs and what not. In Japan (JDM), it is the opposite which causes it to rise up on the left. This would blind oncoming drivers or **** them off at the very least)
Below is an example of a USDM cutoff.

So for my third option I considered just putting in your average HID aftermarket kit. These retail anywhere from $100 - $300, but tend to scatter light all over the friggin place. Below is an Apexcone kit with 6K light bulbs in the stock Evo IX GSR lenses/housings.

For an idea of what 6K aftermarket HIDs look like versus the stock Evo IX GSR halogen please review the image below.

For the basis of comparison, I included the Apexcone 6K kit in the stock Evo IX GSR lenses/housings against an Evo VIII with OEM HIDs. Note how the aftermarket kit scatters light all over the ground, but in defense of the aftermarket kit, it seemed much brighter than the Evo VIII lights even at 6K versus the OEM 4500 HIDs. I nearly got pulled over for running it this way for a week.

Stock Evo VIII OEM 4500 HIDs - Higher
Stock Evo IX GSR w/ Apexcone HIDs with 6K bulbs - Lower

Stock Evo VIII OEM 4500 HIDs - Higher
Stock Evo IX GSR w/ Apexcone HIDs with 6K bulbs - Lower

Stock Evo IX GSR w/ Apexcone HIDs with 6K bulbs - Left
Stock Evo VIII OEM 4500 HIDs - Right

I am a picky person so I couldn't stand the aftermarket kit by itself so onto option 4, the TSX lenses in stock housing with aftermarket HID kit with brighter HIDs (4500). To do this work, I pulled my head lights and sent them to LightWerkz. The turn around time was about a week. The kit including everything you would need. I worked with Caesar who was very responsive and very detailed oriented.

Cost listed below from the website. Please consult Lightwerkz.net for actual prices.
(Prices as of 8/21/2008)
$500 - Acura TSX Conversion Includes Labor and Conversion
$75 - Plug and Play wiring harness
$220 - 55w Apexcone HID kit

Now onto the results. The pictures tell pretty much the entire story. I have to say that I've pulled up to every possible car and my lights are brighter and my cutoff better than any I've seen. This list includes an Acura RL 2008 and a Lexus IS 250 2008. I couldn’t' be happier with the results!

Onto the pictures of the retrofitted TSX lenses with Apexcone 55w 4500 HID kit on stock Evo IX GSR

Cutoff - My driveway is crooked

Same location as Evo VIII comparison

Let me know if you have any questions.

- Dirk

Last edited by dhonda; Aug 21, 2008 at 06:12 PM.
Old Aug 21, 2008, 06:10 PM
Evolved Member

<3 TSX projectors!
Old Aug 21, 2008, 07:53 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 194 Likes on 115 Posts
That's how it's done. None of this "kit" BS! Way to do things right man. I've retrofitted various HID projectors in multiple cars, and once it's done there is no turning back!

EDIT, looks like you are putting down more light with your new setup, compared to that picture with the two evo's combined...

Last edited by LV///R; Aug 21, 2008 at 07:57 PM.
Old Aug 21, 2008, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

Nice work! Glad to see someone who cares about the quality of what they put on their car and not just say "Well my $80 ebay HIDs haven't failed yet".
Old Aug 21, 2008, 08:59 PM
Evolving Member

you helped me make my mind up...when i get my evo im keeping the tsx projector from my lancer to put into the evo.....great comparison
Old Aug 21, 2008, 09:59 PM
Evolved Member

wow, this is a really good idea. i was sold when i saw OP's friend's review.
Old Aug 21, 2008, 10:24 PM
Evolved Member

neat!
How much everything shipped?
Old Aug 22, 2008, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Ill say the same thing i said in the last thread

If you knew anything about projectors you would know that the evo projectors are the best ones out next to TL's then TSX. The evo one's are the same ones used in alot of supercars even used in the FXX the first one made.
Old Aug 22, 2008, 11:39 AM

not too bad
Old Aug 22, 2008, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jmartinez1170
Ill say the same thing i said in the last thread

If you knew anything about projectors you would know that the evo projectors are the best ones out next to TL's then TSX. The evo one's are the same ones used in alot of supercars even used in the FXX the first one made.
how would you compare them to S2000? they are pretty impressive to me.
Old Aug 22, 2008, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One of the local guys did the same thing with TSX projectors.
Old Aug 22, 2008, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hytek369
how would you compare them to S2000? they are pretty impressive to me.
depending on what year s2000 before late 03 they are the reg. denso or valeos i beleave years after that there tl projectors honda & acura uses the same 2 projectors either the tl's or tsx.

Not every car company makes there own projectors they call one of the places that make them and buy them in mass amounts. After they give them specs.
Old Aug 22, 2008, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

I would think that much of the brighter light output can be attributed to using a 55watt ballast as opposed to the OEM 35 watt ballast.

Replacing the projector probably would not increase light output that significantly.

Just my 2 cents.
Old Aug 22, 2008, 03:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 6-speed
I would think that much of the brighter light output can be attributed to using a 55watt ballast as opposed to the OEM 35 watt ballast.

Replacing the projector probably would not increase light output that significantly.

Just my 2 cents.
The 55w definitely help, but the comparison between the HID kit at 6K with the Evo VIII was with the 35W I believe.
Old Aug 23, 2008, 09:27 AM
Evolving Member

nice write up and cut off line!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TSX HID retrofit on Evo IX GSR