Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

how should i do my tails?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2009, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how should i do my tails?

So im gonna try and open up my tail lights, without using a dremel. I have one spare one so i can give that a try and see how well it goes.

The question i wanna ask is how do you guys think i should paint them? i painted my head lights about 2 weeks ago and everything went perfect, no leaks or moisture and the paint job looks great. I painted them a matte black but not too mattish, can said low gloss black. I want to make myself some DIY IX tails but im not sure if i should do them with a hi-gloss black like they are stock or use the same paint that i used on the headlights.

What do you think, would they look better with stock type paint or better if i matched them with the headlights?

Oh and if this goes well and i actually get them opened i will make a video of the process and pictures so we can actually have a real How-To on these finally. (IF this does work, but i have confidence)

some pics of them

Old Feb 22, 2009, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Im not sure how to take the tail lights apart but those headlights look amazing.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

thanks i do love how the headlights came out. the tail lights do have a write up on here, using a head gun and a razor blade... to cut the adhesive. so like i was saying, idk how successful it will turn out but i bought a light just to give this a try. and if it works, help out the evom community with a good how to.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

if im correct aren't the jdm tail/head lights a sort of matte black like i have done.

Also if anyone could post up a nice clean shot of their IX tail light, like i did with the headlight so i can get a clear idea of what it looks like stock. i cant really find a good photo, so if i do go glossy, that will help me match it exactly.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 01:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i would match them. i always like all my stuff to match.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

might as well match the heads and tails, especially if youre happy with how the headlights turned out.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 02:10 PM
Evolving Member

I would match them myself, i think the headlights look great. I want to do a set myself but am worried about them leaking and getting moisture in later on. What did you use to seal them up properly?
Old Feb 22, 2009, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

those headlights look awesome, i have JDM heads and to be honest the only difference i can see is that the amber on yours is clear on mine and the clear on yours is amber on mine

the black looks identical to the JDM, what kind of paint did you use??
Old Feb 22, 2009, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Its a 7
I would match them myself, i think the headlights look great. I want to do a set myself but am worried about them leaking and getting moisture in later on. What did you use to seal them up properly?
i really wouldnt be worried about moisture that much. i think unless you have a big leak where water gets in it should matter. its not like they are air tight, they have like 4 little rubber hoses coming out of the back that let the light 'breath'. but about the glue, there is pretty much enough on them that you can just reheat it and maybe be good enough. not saying i would do that but its not like you have to be supper crazy about putting more glue on. i used a clear silicon RTV sealer that i got at advance. I myself, was paranoid also so when i put them back i glued every crack there was on the outside lol. in retrospect prob not necessary.

and so far i think i might match the color of my heads and tails. but i have some time before i do them so i think ill just see how the feed back keeps coming
Old Feb 22, 2009, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Chabada15
those headlights look awesome, i have JDM heads and to be honest the only difference i can see is that the amber on yours is clear on mine and the clear on yours is amber on mine

the black looks identical to the JDM, what kind of paint did you use??
thanks, im glad to hear that. it was dupli-color engine enamel, 500F, low-gloss black, it has an engine on the label lol
Old Feb 22, 2009, 02:38 PM

Those headlights look great!
Old Feb 22, 2009, 02:44 PM
Evolving Member

Request: Picture of the whole front end of the car, I want to see your headlights. Since I also have an AS EVO
Old Feb 22, 2009, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

hope that gives you what you want. i just snapped these from the window cuz i didnt want to go outside

looks like there is a newspaper under my car lol. it took me a few days to get used to them but now i love em. plus once i get my summer wheels on it should look better,,, they're black

edit: front one for ya

Last edited by Oki Panoki; Feb 22, 2009 at 03:09 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

i had two spare tails. one of which i put in the oven and over melted it. one corner i did manage to get to separate but it was a pita. its basically two pieces of plastic melted together. like those pita packaging for memory cards, electronic devices, etc. if you do happen to have success then yes it would be awesome to have a full writeup with photos, and a video. i like a girl with matching bra and panties. paint em to match
Old Feb 22, 2009, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wasFWDnowAWD
i had two spare tails. one of which i put in the oven and over melted it. one corner i did manage to get to separate but it was a pita. its basically two pieces of plastic melted together. like those pita packaging for memory cards, electronic devices, etc. if you do happen to have success then yes it would be awesome to have a full writeup with photos, and a video. i like a girl with matching bra and panties. paint em to match
hahaha i like the analogy, me too. i think im pretty convinced to paint them to match. thanks for the heads up more info is good to know. I'll be using a heat gun, as i did with the headlights, so im hoping ill have an easier time with the help of spot heating and also less chance of melting the lense.

the part against the trunk seems like it will be the hardest. am i correct? it might be hard to cut the adhesive cuz the plastic kind of wraps around, no

Quick Reply: how should i do my tails?