Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Swirls (DEALER MORONS)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2003, 09:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swirls (DEALER MORONS)

i bought my car when i looked it at the dealer i noticed some swirls no biggie. I brought it home then went to work parked under a light ,came out of work saw swirls friggin everywhere. HOw DO I GET rid of them. They are very fine and u cant feel any indentation. I swear it was probably some teen age kid dry my car off with a non cotton material.
Old Sep 28, 2003, 09:53 PM
Evolving Member

black paint i presume? what you can you is get your car clay-barred. its like a special wax thats takes a lot of effort and time. you can probably take it to your local carwash detailer and have em do it for a couple hundred bucks. it'll make youre paint shine like a friggin mirror and it'll add years to its life.

-just my opinion(i know a lot about waxes because i actually work at a car wash selling the products)
Old Sep 29, 2003, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

Clay bar does not remove swirls! It is for removing contaminants atop the surface of the clearcoat, prepping your CC surface for a polish and wax.

Look into the 3M Hand Glaze polish to remove swirls. You could also try any of the various Meguiar's or Mother's products out there to see how well they'll work for you. Using a clay bar should only be attempted by someone who 1) knows what they're doing, or 2) has money to burn on a new paint job.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 07:41 AM
Evolving Member

How sad is it this......I picked my car up with 12 miles on it.

First thing I noticed and specifically asked was...
Dont you people detail the NEW cars??

The response I get from the sales manager, If you saw some of the work our detailers performed here, You would be wishing you detailed it yourself..
Old Sep 29, 2003, 08:03 AM
Evolving Member

Zaino Z5 does wonders for swirls also.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

meguairs wax works perfectly on those swirls... easy wax i think it's called
Old Sep 29, 2003, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3M Imperial hand glaze - apply by hand and remove by hand. Follow up with a good wax.

checkout www.carcareonline.com - good tech articles on such topics.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 08:37 AM
Evolving Member

the most that any glaze would do is HIDE swirls/imperfections due to the heavy oil content...while it may be a solution for some, once given a few car washes the swirls will appear once again...if it were me, i would use a polish like Meg's #9 for mild swirl removal by hand, then apply wax/sealant of choice...
Old Sep 29, 2003, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Zaino is really awesome stuff. Just be prepared for:

1) the price (the entire system is around $80 if you get everything you need)
2) the work involved in the first application (took me 7 hours on my old car)
3) the addiction you will develop for Z7 car wash (good sheit!!)

Everytime you apply the Z6 after your first application, the shine just gets deeper and better. It's really awesome stuff.

I plan on doing a claybar in selected areas (bumpers, hood), 3M IHG, then the full Zaino treatment.

Also, MAKE SURE you invest in some NICE, 100% terry cloth towels. Pick em up at a department store, do NOT cheap out here! Otherwise you will be spreading lint and such all over your car. Fold them up so the seams don't touch the paint when you use them, and flip them frequently. Never wash with bleach or use fabric softeners/dryer sheets. Always wash them before using them the first time around.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by EVOwhat
the most that any glaze would do is HIDE swirls/imperfections due to the heavy oil content...while it may be a solution for some, once given a few car washes the swirls will appear once again...if it were me, i would use a polish like Meg's #9 for mild swirl removal by hand, then apply wax/sealant of choice...
True it's not a real polish in the traditional sense, but it'll do less damage if applied incorrectly by the inexperienced.

Hence why I plan to go the Zaino route afterwards...
Old Sep 29, 2003, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts
formula113.com
I was at a car show and they all raved about this stuff... I have not tryed it yet but a lot of Custom Car owners who detail their car recomended their products. You cannot buy them in stores only online.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 09:01 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by webguy330i

Everytime you apply the Z6 after your first application, the shine just gets deeper and better. It's really awesome stuff.

I plan on doing a claybar in selected areas (bumpers, hood), 3M IHG, then the full Zaino treatment.

Also, MAKE SURE you invest in some NICE, 100% terry cloth towels. Pick em up at a department store, do NOT cheap out here! Otherwise you will be spreading lint and such all over your car. Fold them up so the seams don't touch the paint when you use them, and flip them frequently. Never wash with bleach or use fabric softeners/dryer sheets. Always wash them before using them the first time around.
Very good points and just to add:

Don't bother shopping around for it--their prices are fixed.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 09:07 AM
Evolving Member

those using zaino...just keep in mind that Zaino is not a TRUE polish...yes it has the name "POLISH" in their title, but does not contain ANY abrasives for swirl removal...Z5 will fill in only the SLIGHTEST of swirls...with zaino being so "optically perfect", just keep in mind that the swirls can be more magnified and prevelant on your paint finish...

PS...i'm not knocking zaino...i use it on my cars...
Old Sep 29, 2003, 09:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by webguy330i

after you use the 3M IHG on your vehicle, don't forget to do a dawn wash afterwards to have a proper bond of z to your paint surface...any oil residue will affect the bonding of z...just don't be suprised if your car is swirled again after the wash...
Old Sep 29, 2003, 09:18 AM

It is highly inlikely you will be able to rid your car of swirls. Most products sold, whether its a polish or a glaze, only hide the swirls by filling them in, however after a few car washes the swirls will be visible again. The only real way to rid the car of swirls is to have if professionally wet sanded with 1000 grit paper(at least), but in order to have this done your car must have a sufficently thick coat of clear coat. Any reputable body shop will have a device to check on how thick your paint and clear coat layers are.

3M Hand glaze works well on hiding the swirls, but if used incorrectly can cause damage to your paint. If your gonna use 3M hand glaze be sure the paint surface is totally cooled and clean. You can reapply this to further diminish the visiblilty of the swirls. You must apply a wax over the glaze because the glaze will not protect your paint. When removing the glaze be sure to continually turn to a clean portion of the towel, if not the grit from the dried glaze will put worse scratches in your clearcoat.

The best towels to use are Cannon/Fieldcrest white only terry towels, they are 100% cotton and do not contain any polyester like most others do. Don't be fooled by micro-fiber towels, they may be good at removing wax residue but they are also good at adding to your swirls.

Another way to reduce the visibilty of swirls is to be careful how you wax your car. On the vertical parts of the car you should apply and remove the wax in an up an down motion, and the horizontal parts of the car should be applied in back and forth (front to back) motion, not in a circular motion. Since swirls are fine scratches in your clear coat, if they are in a circular motion the light will reflect off of them from many angles as opposed to fine scratches that are visible only from a 90 degree angle.

I hope this helps, just PM me if you have more questions.

Quick Reply: Swirls (DEALER MORONS)