Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

So, I'm attempting a wire tuck...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2009, 10:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, I'm attempting a wire tuck...

Well, at least part of it, for now. For now, I've done all of the injectors, crank, cam, water temp, all that good stuff. I've pulled back and tucked away the connectors for the MAF, front O2 sensors, along with some mystery plugs that I assume went to the emissions equipment. It's coming along. bit by bit.

Before:

During:

Currently:

It's a work in process. Currently I'm relocating the grounds, extending some wires for the tranny harness, and trying to find a suitable location for my battery breakout bar. After that, the only thing visible will be the accessory harness and the interconnect between it and the engine harness. That will take a while for me to get to though.

/sorry about the crappy pics, My digi cam is about shot, but I'll try and get some better ones with more detail, as I just bought my wife a new one today: AKA I got a new digital cam under the guise of a birthday present so my wife thinks is hers.

Last edited by whoflungpoo; Jun 24, 2009 at 10:41 PM.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 10:26 PM
Evolving Member

Darn thought i was the only one with my dump tube through my hood vent.. Looks good man.. GL
Old Jun 24, 2009, 10:30 PM
Evolved Member

Looks good and looks like too much of a pain in the *** for me to do.

Post the pic of all the wires everywhere on 502. I'm curious to the reaction you'll get.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 10:32 PM
Evolved Member

man...i never thought a wire tuck involves so much work..

props to you...
someone should make a "how-to-wire-tuck" thread....
Old Jun 24, 2009, 10:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Corey
Looks good and looks like too much of a pain in the *** for me to do.

Post the pic of all the wires everywhere on 502. I'm curious to the reaction you'll get.
lol, prolly about the same as my dirt idiocy video I'll make a copy of this thread on there.

It's really not that bad, once you get going on it there's no turning back, that's for sure.

I dunno, for some reason soldering and dealing with wiring kinda puts me in a zen state, I just enjoy it for some reason. honestly, the hardest part was dealing with the rats nest that mitsu calls a wiring harness. That **** ain't just wrapped around eachother, it's got connectors wrapped THROUGH the other harness wires... ie: lots of de-pinning. In hindsight, I should have just taken the whole engine harness out of the car.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 10:39 PM
Evolved Member

Yep....still sounds like too much trouble. My definition of a clean engine bay is just that, a engine bay that has no dirt in it. I'll stick to that.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 10:43 PM
Evolved Member

im gettin my boy to do it... he does honda engine bays... NASTY with it... he doin my engine bay... my boys 2j swap in a rx7... and my brothers k turbo swap...
Old Jun 25, 2009, 04:19 PM
Evolving Member

Looks good, cant wait to see it done
Old Jun 25, 2009, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

Slick.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 07:29 PM
Evolving Member

looks clean..good job
Old Jun 25, 2009, 07:31 PM
Account Disabled

my engine bay isn't even worth of such a task. It would have to be a weekend toy instead of a daily driver so I could atleast keep the engine bay clean to begin with.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

Good job man. its more of an adventure then anything else.. can you show what you did with all the wires ontop of the transmission/over the transmission.

Also where are your metal injector clips?
Old Jun 25, 2009, 08:52 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the props guys, It's definitely a labor of love.

Now I understand how the honda guys get with their bays. It starts to be an obsession. Right now, I see a wire and I want to figure out where to hide it. If I were to start over (which I may re-do it in the future) I'd definitely pull the harness out of the car to de-loom it at the very least.

oh, and this is my weekend/fun car. I have to haul around a bunch of telecom test equipment, so I have a company van for work. Trust me, the free gas is nice, but I find myself pining to drive the Evo.

Originally Posted by Gary 805
Good job man. its more of an adventure then anything else.. can you show what you did with all the wires ontop of the transmission/over the transmission.

Also where are your metal injector clips?

Unfortunately, I don't have the injector clips, nor my TPS sensor (it actually shook off yesterday) I need to fix that.

as far as the transmission harness, It's going to be impossible to hide the plug up front, aside from being buried by my intake pipe/UICP. as far as the rest of it, I've kinda re-routed it for now, and I'll most likely be running the portion that connects to the engine harness underneath my frame rail, which is also where I'm looking to run the rest of the engine harness that connects to accessory harness.

as far as the wires that go from the back of the motor across the tranny, that bundle consists of one plug, with IIRC are the oil pressure sensor, switched ground to the starter, alternator plug (think of it as a subharness). Also the engine block ground, and hot wires to the starter and alternator.

Right now I'm just getting started on that portion, but here's the rundown of my plans/activities so far.

(foreword: The basic shape of the harness right now is a "y", with one side going under the intake manifold, and the other going to the relay area)

stock, the plug in question from the engine harness goes up along with the "relay" side of the harness. You're going to have to pull that back (most of the wires go back to the ECU) and re-route it along to the engine side of the harness. to do that, you'll have to cut and extend 3 wires that go to the relay box. off the top of my head, they are the yellow, black/red and a red wire. I took pics, I'll post later.

I stripped the subharness back, pulled the slack back and connected it to the newly extended/relocated plug. There is still one wire that wraps around the side of the block and goes to the starter. I'm not sure what I can do with it short of depinning it, extending it and routing it around the oilpan to the back side of the motor. We'll see.

The block ground is easy if you've relocated the battery, since you don't have the terminal up there anymore. I just ran it under the water pipes and to the firewall.

The two hot wires are where it will get interesting. My battery distribution block is where the battery used to sit right now. most likely, I'll move it up closer to the front and let my intake hide it, or something along those lines. If I get rediculous with it, I may pull it back into the fender and mount it under there. Then, I'll run the hot wire on the starter along the radiator support to the distro block. Similar with the alternator, I'll run it under the frame rail, along the radiator support back to the distro block. I've got a bunch of 8 ga wire lying around, so I'll probably use it.

so, that's pretty much the state of it right now. Sorry for the novel, I hope it's not too confusing, but this should give you just a glimpse as to how involved this can become. I've got some pics I can post later, and if that doesn't help, I'll just upload a vid to youtube.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 11:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dude....that look so much better than lst time i saw ur car.. u might have to help me do that on my car sometime soon. C
Old Jun 26, 2009, 06:39 PM
Evolving Member

yeah man I'm down. I've got my soldering mojo back, so we could do yours alot quicker I'm sure. I'd suggest that we pull the harness out of the car to do it, but it would be easier on yours I'm sure... I've got a bunch of crap spliced in the interior.

Quick Reply: So, I'm attempting a wire tuck...