Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Help! Evo 5 Roof Rust Problem!

Old Nov 22, 2010, 12:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Help! Evo 5 Roof Rust Problem!

Hi,
can anyone share or advise on how to permanently or at least can last up to 5 years to remove roof rust and what chemical and steps should i do for the sake of saving the roof?

Thanks
Old Nov 22, 2010, 12:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the same problem, Mitsubishi used a poor roof sealant (that goes between the roof supports) which held moisture, in turn creating nice rust spots.

Only solution is to find a complete roof off another Evo, or a Lancer/Mirage. Another solution is carbon fiber roofs, or you could have the spots cut/replaced with sheet metal. And if you want to ignore it, you can grind away the rust, put in some body filler, and paint over it all.

I will likely find a replacement roof (possibly with a sun-roof) to swap over. It's starting to get pretty bad, things are starting to rattle up there at high speeds
Old Nov 22, 2010, 02:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BCspeed34
I have the same problem, Mitsubishi used a poor roof sealant (that goes between the roof supports) which held moisture, in turn creating nice rust spots.

Only solution is to find a complete roof off another Evo, or a Lancer/Mirage. Another solution is carbon fiber roofs, or you could have the spots cut/replaced with sheet metal. And if you want to ignore it, you can grind away the rust, put in some body filler, and paint over it all.

I will likely find a replacement roof (possibly with a sun-roof) to swap over. It's starting to get pretty bad, things are starting to rattle up there at high speeds
Hi,thanks for sharing and where are you from? im frm Malaysia and have you change the roof?
Old Nov 22, 2010, 06:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You could get a good bodyman to mold a fiberglass roof from your current roof but I would advise that if you get a fiberglass or carbonfiber roof to put a roll cage inside for safety.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 02:10 AM
Evolved Member

Is there any chemical where i can eliminate the rust once and for all?
How abt power coat? can i take out the roof, remove the rust and send it to power coat?