Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

AlchEm1st's Evo IV Coupe conversion project

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2011, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That sucks! Time for a motor build!
Old Feb 4, 2011, 08:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, bad news guys. The shops overseas engine supplier has totally blown me off stating that there was no warranty on half cuts when it was stated before that there was.
The shop is giving me 3 choices out of their own pockets. 1. A set of acl race bearings, which does me no good since the block itself is destroyed. 2. a totally stock 2.4 bottom
end. Also not a good deal since I can pull one from a local yard for $150. 3. $400 cash which is nowhere near enough to build a new bottom end even with stock parts. I'm
gonna try to get him to give me a grand back, but it's not looking to good right now. Anyone got a 5-9 shortblock they wanna sell me cheap?
Old Feb 4, 2011, 09:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I have to say I'm not surprised. Try and milk them for some more cash, but keep your options open. Now is a great opportunity to build a 4G64 bottom end.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 09:44 AM
Evolving Member

^Assuming the head is good. I'm gonna start tearing everything down in the next few days. Gotta pull the head and make sure it's still straight and everything's good there.
Also, gonna start selling stuff I don't need like front suspension, AYC diff and bits like that. Yeah, I'm not really surprised either. I feel bad for Rem having to pay me out of his
own pocket, but his site said there was a warranty and I don't wanna be screwed either, so what can you do? I talked to him again a few minutes ago and he said the best
he could do was $500 cash +$500 store credit. I think I can make that work, we'll see
Old Feb 4, 2011, 10:11 AM
Evolving Member

Honestly that seems the best way to go. You have some funds now and then some store credit if anything else comes in. Rem is a good guy, shame the supplier was sketchy.

And what suspension do you have up front right now (I'm talking hubs, not struts and springs). I went all JDM Evo 4 and find it much easier to manage than with my Mirage one. Plus You get that beefy sway bar.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 10:22 AM
Evolving Member

Right now I'm using the stock LCA with no swaybar lol. I have 4G knuckles with DSM 5x114.3 hubs pressed in though. The plan is to use 1G dsm ball joints in the
Evo LCA's so I can keep my 4G knuckles and my VR4 calipers. I would just use the Evo knuckles with Brembos, but then I'd feel bad about having my Dad make
those brackets (which he is proud of) just to ditch them. Maybe in the future though so no plans to sell the Evo knuckles. I'm gonna see what kind of deals I can
get on a set of pistons and rods with the store credit and search for a new block with the cash. Maybe do a 2.3 build or something. Dunno yet.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 10:40 AM
Evolving Member

Hey alchem1st this thread was posted on evom's fb page =)
Old Feb 4, 2011, 10:52 AM
Evolving Member

NOWAI!!!
Old Feb 7, 2011, 07:55 PM
Evolving Member

Well, I had mentioned that I needed an Evo 8 rear diff to Rem-rock and if he found a good one I would take that as a full refund, but he went ahead and just ordered
one he found without telling me first! I'm like I need to know some info about this diff before I just take it and call us even! I mean it could have death whine or close
to it or something... Man I just feel like I'm getting more and more screwed out of this deal... I mean I have no idea where the diff came from or how it was treated by
it's previous owner. Does a diff for a bad IV bottom end seem like a good trade to you guys?
Old Feb 7, 2011, 08:46 PM
Evolving Member

If i was you man, id just try and suck as much money bak and say fk this guy.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 08:49 PM
Evolving Member

Actually, I found out I can delete pms I've sent that haven't been read. I deleted anything related to me saying I'd take the diff and just basically said I need cash.
I hate to do it cause I know it's out of his pocket and I try to support the local shops, but I got no choice. The engine won't even be started this year otherwise.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 10:29 PM
Evolving Member

An Evo 8 rear diff can go anywhere from $400 to $600. Not the worst deal in the world buy you have to remember it's just the diff. To run it you will need matching axles and diff mounts to run it.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 06:20 AM
Evolving Member

Hey, don't the IV rear axles work? I thought they were the same spline count. Also, I'm pretty sure the diff bolts right up to the IV subframe
and I should be able to use all the mounts from the IV AYC diff. I pm'd him back and told him I just want cash, I figure I'll pay off the loan I
took out so I don't have to worry about it anymore and then start looking for a bare or short block. Getting ready to go start stripping parts for a while now.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 07:17 AM
Evolving Member

I'll check back from my sources but it's the length of the axles that comes into play. The AYC diff is wider and has shorter axles than the Evo 8 diff.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 01:51 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, let me know what you find out! I guess I'm gonna take the diff and be done with this whole deal. I hate when crap like this
happens, makes me want to stop tuning cars. Anyway, got a good bit done today. I'll have a bunch of stuff up for sale soon!

Quick Reply: AlchEm1st's Evo IV Coupe conversion project