Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Clinched Widebody Kit

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2016, 03:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
From what I've read and have been told, reshaping the OEM body panels isn't so easy; it takes a skilled hand. It's a lot easier to mold an aftermarket piece to the OEM panels. Just what I'm told by the people around here that do body work. I'm sure others will have different views on it, though. But Heck, even I can install a Voltex or other stick/bolt-on/rivet body kit.
All that said, I'd rather have the stock pieces adjusted, as I prefer the stock lines. And a 275 is all I'd ever need to run.

As for the APR kit:
1. Holy crap it's expensive
2. I can only find it with an VIII front bumper cover.

http://aprperformance.com/portfolio-...i-evolution-9/ <-- portfolio link
http://shop.aprperformance.com/index...product_id=178 <-- Shop link
(Both are for the IX)

I know on the X rolling fenders are notorious because the top of the rear fender will pop out if rolled improperly. Its expensive but quality is important and Im pretty sure if you talked to one of the retailers on here they can usually get it down in price for you.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 04:21 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Man, that looks really good and i really want it LOL
Old Dec 28, 2016, 04:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kaj
Man, that looks really good and i really want it LOL
Its real hard to refuse. I am trying to do research to see if they wind tunnel test their aero kits like voltex.

According to their shop site, the kit includes a rear door so that could be why the kit costs so much.

Last edited by jheff; Dec 28, 2016 at 06:35 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 06:28 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by jheff
Its real hard to refuse. I am trying to do research to see if they wind tunnel test their aero kits like voltex.

According to their shop site, the kit includes a rear door so that could be why the kit costs so much!
A rear door panel, that attaches to the door.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 07:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
might have a lead on someone selling the APR wide body kit with the evo 9 front. Only thing is missing is one of the extended rear door panels, but the kit itself looks like it was only test fitted and never actually installed.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 10:40 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by evo.matt
might have a lead on someone selling the APR wide body kit with the evo 9 front. Only thing is missing is one of the extended rear door panels, but the kit itself looks like it was only test fitted and never actually installed.
I saw that. I want the whole car LOL. But just the kit would be AWESOME.

Last edited by kaj; Dec 29, 2016 at 01:06 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 11:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts
What prices are you looking at? The APR kit is one of the most affordable wide-body kits available for the Evo. I have no clue on how well it fits on the evo. All the Evos I have seen running it dont seem to have any major issues with the fitment.

There is also a replica of the APR kit made by VIS racing. I am not sure what they call it now.

The clinched wide body kit is a great attempt at making an aggressive wide body kit for the Evo. I am glad they are supporting our platform. I can see fitment issues from the pictures the OP posted. Hopefully there can be some revisions made to make the fitment better.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 12:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by deylag
The clinched wide body kit is a great attempt at making an aggressive wide body kit for the Evo. I am glad they are supporting our platform. I can see fitment issues from the pictures the OP posted. Hopefully there can be some revisions made to make the fitment better.
Can you point them out? I can edit it OP to help point stuff out to hopefully hope other people looking at the kit.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 12:47 AM
Evolved Member

Here you go

At the rear door the flare doesn't line up with the bottom side skirt.

Clinched Widebody Kit-mxtw7i3.jpg
Clinched Widebody Kit-nd86nuc.jpg

The Front Fender Flare also has the same problem in this picture.

Clinched Widebody Kit-uhl0fdy.jpg

However, these are small issues that can be easily fixed. I will theorize that either the body shop that installed the flares did not get the confirmation from the owner to modify the flares to fit correctly or the owners just installed them as they got them from clinched.

Just need to cut the flare so that it doesn't stick out or redesign it so there are less gaps.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 07:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
I saw that. I want the whole car LOL. But just the kit works be AWESOME.
Haha yes we are talking about the same one. I don't see why he wouldn't be open to parting the kit separately from the shell
Old Dec 29, 2016, 12:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
the cars on this page are horrible. just horrible.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 01:07 PM
kaj

How in hell do you install a kit like the Clinched... and STILL have mexi poke???
Old Dec 29, 2016, 01:08 PM
kaj

Here you go

At the rear door the flare doesn't line up with the bottom side skirt.

The Front Fender Flare also has the same problem in this picture.

However, these are small issues that can be easily fixed. I will theorize that either the body shop that installed the flares did not get the confirmation from the owner to modify the flares to fit correctly or the owners just installed them as they got them from clinched.

Just need to cut the flare so that it doesn't stick out or redesign it so there are less gaps.
Those all look like someone was too lazy to do trimming.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 10:54 AM
Evolving Member

Do you think that there could be a lack of material to trim without causing a lot of harm to the look of the piece? I.e. cutting the bottom of the fender would cut straight through and leave a large enough gap so that the piece couldn't be reworked to fill the gap?
Old Jan 2, 2017, 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jheff
Do you think that there could be a lack of material to trim without causing a lot of harm to the look of the piece? I.e. cutting the bottom of the fender would cut straight through and leave a large enough gap so that the piece couldn't be reworked to fill the gap?
No, if you plan out the trim you can blend in the fender with the panel. It all comes down to experience.

There are some people that have posted on here with even more drastic changes to bumpers and kits before.

If in doubt then find a professional body shop. They do this day in and day out to repair and modify bumpers and side skirts.

Quick Reply: Clinched Widebody Kit