Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Brakes squealing like hell

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2004, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Brakes squealing like hell

For some odd reason a couple months ago my front brakes have started squealing like all hell. It happens at all pedal pressures when I am heavy on the brakes (like during a fun drive), but if I am a little easier on them then it usually only squeals when I'm light on the pedal.

I've removed the pads several times and re-lubricated with Permatex anti-sieze. I've also tried sanding down the pads and rotors with 100grit. All brake shims are in place. I've even tried a friend's suggestion to spray down the rotors and calipers real good with the hose when I wash my car. I've started doing that every night, and still they squeal. There is at least 60% of brake pad left.

I've run out of things to try.

Do you brake gurus think it's time for some new brake pads? I want the noise to stop, but I don't want to waste $100 on pads if that won't fix it.
Old Nov 9, 2004, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Hmm, 52 views and no replies.

I guess I'll just put up with noisy brakes then.
Old Nov 10, 2004, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

Quit driving like an ***...
Old Nov 10, 2004, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you saying that it only squeals when you brake lightly, just before you come to a stop?
Old Nov 10, 2004, 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

Mine do that sometimes, espcially in reverse. But he's on nowhere near stock rotors or pads in the front.

Is it just the front ones that are squeaking?
Old Nov 10, 2004, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

My front brakes squeal like a champ when I come to a complete stop.
Old Nov 10, 2004, 12:40 PM
Evolving Member

The pads never got bedded in good when they were new. Go out where you have a LOT of room and use them untill you just start to get a little fade, then drive around slow untill they cool off.
Old Nov 10, 2004, 05:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Willie Dynamite
Are you saying that it only squeals when you brake lightly, just before you come to a stop?
If I am easy on the brakes (ie: driving like a grandma), then it only squeals when I brake lightly. If I am hard on the brakes like during a spirited drive in the hills then it will squeal everytime I press the pedal hard or soft.
Old Nov 10, 2004, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by oak2207
Mine do that sometimes, espcially in reverse. But he's on nowhere near stock rotors or pads in the front.

Is it just the front ones that are squeaking?
lol, I'm not driving like an ***...

Yes, it's just the fronts.
Old Nov 10, 2004, 05:05 PM
Evolving Member

stock pads I assume?
Old Nov 10, 2004, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Scottybob
The pads never got bedded in good when they were new. Go out where you have a LOT of room and use them untill you just start to get a little fade, then drive around slow untill they cool off.
The pads are Ferodo DS2500s, and they have roughly 14,000 miles on them. It's strange that they just suddenly started squealing. I had to brake REAL hard once a few months ago (ABS kicked in), and ever since then it's been squealing when I brake as I described above (2 posts up).

I'm reluctant to try what you suggest since when I brake hard the noise is louder and more frequent. But, since they're pretty noisy right now already I might as well try it.

Old Nov 10, 2004, 05:09 PM
Evolving Member

did you lube the side of the pads too? They do make contact with the caliper. And try removing the rotors completely and scuffing the hell out of them. You want to make a non directional finish on them, meaning scratch up like hell going in all directions front and back of the rotor. that should work.
Old Nov 10, 2004, 05:12 PM
Evolving Member

what happened here in my opinion is due to the composition of the pads .it has created a mirror like finish on the rotor
Old Nov 10, 2004, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kuniboy
stock pads I assume?
Sorry, I just added that they are Ferodo DS2500s. My bad!

did you lube the side of the pads too? They do make contact with the caliper. And try removing the rotors completely and scuffing the hell out of them. You want to make a non directional finish on them, meaning scratch up like hell going in all directions front and back of the rotor. that should work.
Yep, pads are lubed so much that I have to wipe off the excess after I put the pad in the caliper. The pad does not contact the caliper, but they touch the shims. I have already bought new shims for both the floating shim and the ones stuck to the brake pad.
Old Nov 10, 2004, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

what happened here in my opinion is due to the composition of the pads .it has created a mirror like finish on the rotor
Yeah, thats what I thought too. I've tried sanding down the rotors, and I've tried spraying it with the hose so that it rusts over. Same thing, lots of noise

Quick Reply: Brakes squealing like hell