Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

WARNING!! BFG KDW2 with the new tread design

Old Jun 21, 2005, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation WARNING!! BFG KDW2 with the new tread design

This is an important update from a thread i had posted in the past. A short recap, i had gotten a set of 18x8.5 +30 with a set of BFG G-force KDW2 with the new tread design in a 245/40/18 which i was told would be a perfect fit. Well i got em and mounted then and they seemed to be a bit wide but i gave it a test run anyway and it ended up rubbing on the inner fender. So now im moving from a 245/40/18 to a 235/40/18 because they were rubbing with my stock suspension. Some people had suggested that there was a possibility that there was a problem with my rear suspension that it was too soft but later i discovered something very interesting.

A friend of mine has the anaversary edition golf (looks like an R32 but has 1.8T motor) that come stock with 18" wheels and once he had to replace the tires he also opted for the BFG KDW2 on the stock wheel with the same size tire and he also had some rubbing. The sidewall on these tires bulge out a little thus causing the rubbing, that is also where i was getting the rubbing too was on the wall not the tread

Check the previous post i had uput up to see some pics
I need help please. 245/40/18 on 18x8.5+30 with stock suspension

WARNING!! BFG KDW2 with the new tread design
the sidewall bulges out and may cause some rubbing. These are AMAZING tires and are equal in performance to the stock advans but wityh better tread life.

Hope this helps anyone out there so they dont make the same mistake i did
Old Jun 21, 2005, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

Dont go with a skinnier tire, roll your fenders! I did it with a couple of my friends a few weeks ago and they came out great. We rented the tool from www.rollyourfender.com, they were great to deal with and the tool was super easy to use.

Oh yea and if you think the new kdw2's offer the same performance of the stock advans you obviously havent pushed either tire far enough to tell.
Old Jun 21, 2005, 06:11 PM
Evolving Member

I'm glad to see this thread. I have the BFG KD's in 245/40/18 and they rub on my factory suspension. Their are no problems or anything, they just roll out on the edges and rub the sidewalls under hard cornering. I put them on the Enkei NTO3-RR editions in a 30 offset, and can't roll the fenders enough to even lower the car more than an inch. I will definitely go back to 235/40's next time.

Chris
Old Jun 22, 2005, 02:45 PM

I dunno nick but not everyone buys an evo to beat the **** out of it every day. Personally i dont want to take my car out and race i want to keep it runnin nice and smooth plus i dont want to be buying advans every 12k miles when i can get another tire that performs equally well for spirited daily driving and gives me almost 3x the tread life.

I just want to let everyone know so they dont run into the same issue and have the same headaches i had
Old Jun 22, 2005, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

Well if you are only talking about spirited daily driving then both tires offer about the same performance. However, when you are driving above 8/10ths the advans will own them.

Like I said earlier, you obviously havent pushed either tire far enough to tell a difference. No one says you HAVE to push a tire to this point, but you are being misleading when you say that they offer the same performance when you have only driven with them on the street.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 04:04 AM
Evolved Member

Adding some negative camber in the rears will bring in the top of the tire. This should eliminate your rubbing issue without rolling the fenders and shouldn't adversely affect tire wear.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 05:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kekek
Adding some negative camber in the rears will bring in the top of the tire. This should eliminate your rubbing issue without rolling the fenders and shouldn't adversely affect tire wear.
You have firsthand experience here or is this speculation?
Old Jun 23, 2005, 06:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kekek
I dont know about that one. its gonna rub regardless. Its rubbing on the SUSPENTION Neg camber will make it worse.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 07:17 AM
PPI
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have heard similiar storys about the kdw2's..when many people are fine with the same size tire and wheel but diff. brand. Leads me to believe the kdw2's are just a wider tire (in the same size) than other brands.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 07:34 AM
Evolving Member

THAT IS WHY I GOT THE 235/40's months ago and people on this site gave me **** about it.... But looks like I saved time and effort and even some cash....

Yes... I will pat myself on the back....
Old Jul 1, 2005, 03:06 PM

Yes this is fest hand experience it rubs only on the fender lip not on the suspension itself and when i have the wheel at full lock in either direction it rubs on the plastic shields inside the wheel well over by the oil filter area.