Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Where can I get the special Mitsu strut removal tools?

Old Jan 28, 2006, 07:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where can I get the special Mitsu strut removal tools?

Where can I get the special tools specifies for removing the front strut top? There's a set, part # MB991680, which consists of a wrench (MB991681) and a socket (MB991682).

I know everyone just uses an impact wrench, but I don't want to risk damaging the struts. And I'd rather not order it through my dealer.
Old Jan 30, 2006, 05:00 AM
djh
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Slowride
I know everyone just uses an impact wrench, but I don't want to risk damaging the struts.
An impact wrench? That's for <*****>noodle-armed choir boys!</*****> Just crack the nut loose while the strut is on the car. A 1/2" drive breaker bar and socket is all you need. The nut's only torqued to about 75 ft-lbs.

Dave
Old Jan 30, 2006, 05:14 AM
Evolving Member

I'm not noodle-armed choir boy (I'll have to remember that one), so I could probably do it with a breaker bar. But I'm still worried about damaging the struts. I guess I shouldn't be too concerned since nobody seems to have used the tools and I haven't heard any horror stories about damaged struts.
Old Jan 30, 2006, 05:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not noodle-armed choir boy (I'll have to remember that one), so I could probably do it with a breaker bar. But I'm still worried about damaging the struts. I guess I shouldn't be too concerned since nobody seems to have used the tools and I haven't heard any horror stories about damaged struts.
You can go to your local auto parts store (if they rent out this) and get a gear wratchet wrench, or you can go to Sears and get one that has all differant sized sockets with it. It is open through the middle so you can slide an allen wrench down through the middle of it to hold the strut in place so it does not spin. This is exactly what the tool does.

This is a nice tool to have in your collection anyway and it wouldn't be specific to a certain job or company. PM me if you have any questions I would be glad to help you out if you don't understand what I mean.

Thanks,
Zach
Old Jan 30, 2006, 05:41 AM
djh
Evolving Member

But I'm still worried about damaging the struts. I guess I shouldn't be too concerned since nobody seems to have used the tools and I haven't heard any horror stories about damaged struts.
The piston rod has a "D" profile so the top hat locks it in place. I don't think you have to worry about damaging it, it's pretty beefy.

Dave
Old Jan 30, 2006, 03:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by phenem
You can go to your local auto parts store (if they rent out this) and get a gear wratchet wrench, or you can go to Sears and get one that has all differant sized sockets with it. It is open through the middle so you can slide an allen wrench down through the middle of it to hold the strut in place so it does not spin. This is exactly what the tool does.
OK, cool, I'm pretty sure I can find one, given your description. Thanks!
Old Jan 30, 2006, 03:23 PM
Evolving Member

Is this what you're talking about, phenem?

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00999466000

If so, do you have to take the strut off the car before you can loosen the top nut?
Old Jan 30, 2006, 03:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by djh
The piston rod has a "D" profile so the top hat locks it in place. I don't think you have to worry about damaging it, it's pretty beefy.
The Bilsteins are inverted, so the rod is at the bottom. Do they still have a D-shaped pin at the top?

Sounds like there's not too much cause for concern.

Thanks for responding.
Old Jan 30, 2006, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

Is this what you're talking about, phenem?

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00999466000

If so, do you have to take the strut off the car before you can loosen the top nut?
This is what I am refering to:

Click Here

Take the entire assembly out of the car and then use this tool along with an allen wrench that works to hold the strut assembly from spinning while you loosen your bolt than holds the assembly together. Be careful it pops from the pressure of the stock springs when the nut is off.

~Zach
Old Jan 30, 2006, 05:43 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks again, phenem. Ordered for pickup at the local Sears.
Old Jan 30, 2006, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks again, phenem. Ordered for pickup at the local Sears.
No problem! It is a good tool to have in general around the house. It work wonders on a lot of things where you never thought you could get to. Let me know how it works out.

~Zach
Old Jan 31, 2006, 04:22 AM
djh
Evolving Member

The Bilsteins are inverted, so the rod is at the bottom. Do they still have a D-shaped pin at the top?
As are the GSR struts, but I've never been up close and personal with an MR. I've had mine apart twice, they're a lot easier to deal with than the Mk. 1 MR2!

Dave
Old Feb 1, 2006, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

So you use this tool after the strut is out and once you have the spring compressor tool on?
Old Feb 1, 2006, 03:44 PM
Evolving Member

Yep.

BTW, picked up the Vortex set from Sears today...nice.

Anybody know what size Allen wrench I need?
Old Mar 29, 2010, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
phenem - Which allen wrench are you talking about that you use to hold the strut from spinning? Can't find that special tool anywhere. Tried MAC TOOLS and Snapon Tools. It's from Mitsubishi and they won't sell it to anyone other than their Mechanics

Edit:

Actually i think I may have found the tool guys! Check this out
Performance Tool Universal MacPherson Strut Nut Remover Set or click on the link below
http://www.carparts.com/Steering-Sus...2267_10618.car

Last edited by EvolNinja; Mar 29, 2010 at 08:52 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Where can I get the special Mitsu strut removal tools?