Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

warped rotors again. ?shaving again

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2006, 03:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
warped rotors again. ?shaving again

Well at 15000 miles my rotors started to warp. I got them resurfaced by the dealership. At the time they said that my pads looked good and I didn't need to replace them. Now at 20,000 miles it came back. Went to the dealer and they reccomended resufacing and changing pads. They assured me if I did this the rotors wouldn't warp again. I was going to have them put on the ferodo ds 2500 pads, since they said the pads aren't covered under warranty. They won't replace the rotors only resurface. Am I a fool for doing this, or can the resurfacing and new pads solve my problem. Thanks for the input.
Old Feb 9, 2006, 03:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by adamhw
Well at 15000 miles my rotors started to warp. I got them resurfaced by the dealership. At the time they said that my pads looked good and I didn't need to replace them. Now at 20,000 miles it came back. Went to the dealer and they reccomended resufacing and changing pads. They assured me if I did this the rotors wouldn't warp again. I was going to have them put on the ferodo ds 2500 pads, since they said the pads aren't covered under warranty. They won't replace the rotors only resurface. Am I a fool for doing this, or can the resurfacing and new pads solve my problem. Thanks for the input.
If you still have material on the pads try to get them to bed into the rotor. Sometimes uneven pad wear will make it seam like a shimmy. A rotors never actually "warp" the surface just becomes uneven from bad contact from the pads. Also make sure your wheels are torqued on quickly. If you have loose lug nuts if can cause a shimmy.

To bed in the pads take the car up to 60mph and do a few hard brakes. If 100% = antilock brakes kicking in take it down to 80%. Do that about 6-7 times without ever coming to a complete stop. After you have done it a few times drive around to get the brakes to cool down then see if the shimmy is still there. If you feel less vibration than before bed the brakes in some more.
Old Feb 9, 2006, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

before you do what joeymia, check the torque on the lugnuts. Improper torque can warp the rotors too.
Old Feb 10, 2006, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Resurface and the new pads (anything but stock pads) should do the trick.
Old Feb 10, 2006, 10:38 AM
Evolving Member

Every time you resurface the rotors, the removal of material makes them more prone to warping in the future.

I would, as other members suggested, look into uneven pad transfer as the culprit and, if addressing that doesn't work, replace (not resurface) your rotors.

Here is a quote from Chronohunter (professional driver who is a member on this board) regarding brake pad material transfer problems:
"You can clean them (or cook them clean) by heating them up to the point of light fade and then slow the car to a stop using no brakes if possible, you must coast the last foot with out ANY brake then kill the car in gear (no hand brake) and let it cool all the way down (1/2 hour or so). Now drive away and your "warped" rotors have magicly straightened . You can repeat this as many times a necessary over the life of the pads. Next time get some Ferodos/ Hawks/Pagids which don't have transfer issues."
Old Feb 11, 2006, 08:33 AM

I've just had my rotors treated for the 3rd time... (~20,000 miles). First time the rotors warped they decided to skim them. I expressed concern as that makes them more likely to warp. A few months later they were warped again. Took it back to the dealer who replaced the rotors. They wanted to charge me for new pads but after some arguments they replaced those too (car was <12 months old at that point).

Then a few months ago the rotors warped again.. took the car back and they wanted to discuss with Mitsubishi before replacing. After a few months they phoned me back and said they would replace them. Just got the new ones fitted again...

There seems to be some fundamental issue with the rotors... I know a lot of my Evo friends in the UK have had issues. They told me it was somethign to do with the way they were fitted and not a manufacturing defect...

Who knows - I just want to see if they warp again before the end of the warranty. If they do then I'll start to make some serious noise down at the dealer...
Old Feb 11, 2006, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

search "pad transfer"
Old Feb 11, 2006, 10:38 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dpardo
Every time you resurface the rotors, the removal of material makes them more prone to warping in the future.

I would, as other members suggested, look into uneven pad transfer as the culprit and, if addressing that doesn't work, replace (not resurface) your rotors.

Here is a quote from Chronohunter (professional driver who is a member on this board) regarding brake pad material transfer problems:
Cutting rotors are one of the worst things you can do to them... it's a conventional red-neck, shade tree, grease monkey misnomer that rotors have to be "resurfaced" to be "serviced". It utterly ruins them in most cases. Of course your local brake company is going to tell you it needs to be done $$$.
Old Feb 11, 2006, 10:53 AM
JTB
Evolved Member

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...rakedisk.shtml

Last edited by JTB; Feb 24, 2006 at 06:39 AM.
Old Feb 11, 2006, 07:49 PM
Evolving Member

I have the same issue and first time dealer resurfaced then the problem came back. The next time they replaced the rotor and pad under warranty. It warped again now.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 06:59 PM

The only reasonable advice here is what dpardo said.
First look into the brake pad transfer issue (or chatter). If thats not the prob. then...

If they've been resurfaced already - get brand new pads and brake new rotors.

Like dpardo said: resurfacing again will only make them thinner and will "warp" even faster.
Old Feb 13, 2006, 04:51 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks. I tries rebedding with braking technique, and it was no help. I will try to talk to my dealer about getting to rotors, but they wouldn't when asked the first time. I guess if they refuse to get me new ones, I'll try to resurface them again with the new ferodo pads I got. I'll ask for a garantee in writing for the life of the pads. Anyone know another way to get the dealer to replace the rotors vs. resurfacing again.
Old Feb 13, 2006, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I sent an e-mail to Endless USA and they told me to resurface the rotor when installing new pads.
Old Feb 13, 2006, 05:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cutting into the rotor is a temporary fix for warped rotors. I would not recommend it for a high performance car like the Evo. The rotors will thin out quite a bit and warp again within 3 to 5k miles. I have a dreading personal expereince with this problem and the only way to get rid of warp rotors is to replace them.

Thanks,
Tom