Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Kumho Ecsta V710 245/45R17 - We shall see...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2006, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Kumho Ecsta V710 245/45R17 - We shall see...

So, I was planning on getting 255/40R17 Toyo RA-1s, but then I found that it wasn't as easy to find them as I thought. I know they are used all over the place by tons of people, but I couldn't really find a good place to buy them. So, I got a set of these V710s, since I know they're awesome, since I'll be autocrossing more than road racing, and since I only 17X8 race rims. I know the 255s fit on the 8" rim, but I suppose 245s fit a little better, eh?

In the end, the price for these V710s was only a few dollars more per tire than shaved RA-1s, so I was pleased with the price. Plus, the shipping was only $50 for 2-day delivery, which is exactly how long it took. I needed to have these for SURE by at least tomorrow so that I could get them mounted and balanced by Friday for Saturday's first auto-x.

I don't see much discussion about the V710s, but I've seen them in action on another Evo and know they are pretty damn good. Any additional comments?

Old Feb 22, 2006, 08:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm still a little new to autocrossing but I thought the tires used had to be dot approved. Are they? This summer I plan on more autocrossing and getting into road racing also so I'll be looking for a good tire. My first choice would have been the RA-1s. Keep us posted on those tires.
Sorry I dont have any info/feedback for you.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

Can't compare the V710 to RA1, you can get 2 wheels up in the air with the 710. Have fun and you will get spoiled by them!
Old Feb 22, 2006, 08:18 PM

This is my second set of Kumho R's. I've found cooling them with water after repeated runs in warmer weather, help them stay consistent. The grip seems greasy when they get hot.

Still working on favorite pressures. You won't be disapointed with the purchase, and my tire wear has been better than expected. Even with an agressive alignment.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kevo
Can't compare the V710 to RA1, you can get 2 wheels up in the air with the 710. Have fun and you will get spoiled by them!
that means something coming from you, kevo. If I recall, we did meet at the SCCA NE Divisional last year, unless that was someone else. I get the usernames mixed up sometimes.

Anyway, from what you're saying here, the V710s are pretty good for autocrossing. I don't mind getting spoiled by these as long as they last a while.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by twistedtodd
This is my second set of Kumho R's. I've found cooling them with water after repeated runs in warmer weather, help them stay consistent. The grip seems greasy when they get hot.

Still working on favorite pressures. You won't be disapointed with the purchase, and my tire wear has been better than expected. Even with an agressive alignment.
Good advice. I will be sure to have a spray bottle with me during the warmer months (cold as hell up here right now). I know you haven't found your favorite PSI yet, but do you have any feedback on what you've tried so far. I figured I'd start at 40-42psi all around (cold) and monitor them from there...
Old Feb 22, 2006, 09:38 PM
Evolved Member

The V710 is pretty much the best autox tire out there at the moment. The only advantage the RA-1's have is extra life at the cost of much lesser grip.

That said kevo and I will both be running V710 285's this year

too bad WDCR isn't holding the NE Div's this year, at least there is the Pro though...

oh..and here's my stack
Attached Thumbnails Kumho Ecsta V710 245/45R17 - We shall see...-v710_01.jpg   Kumho Ecsta V710 245/45R17 - We shall see...-v710_02.jpg  

Last edited by kekek; Feb 22, 2006 at 09:41 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 09:39 PM
ZK
Evolved Member

The 710s have insane grip. Make sure they are the right temps though. If they get too cold or hot they don't perform very well. So make sure they are warmed up before driving them hard and don't over do it and get them really hot or else they get greasy.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 09:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kekek
The V710 is pretty much the best autox tire out there at the moment. The only advantage the RA-1's have is extra life at the cost of much lesser grip.

That said kevo and I will both be running V710 285's this year

too bad WDCR isn't holding the NE Div's this year, at least there is the Pro though...

oh..and here's my stack
Wow, 285s. That's some freakin rubber right there. Glad to hear that I made a good choice. Were you also at the NE Divisional with Kevo? Were you the one who won ESP? I'm a little confused by your avatar, because it looks like Kevin's car - I assumed that was Kevo, but again, I get all the usernames mixed up.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 10:11 PM
Evolving Member

i too was lookin into getting some v710's, but the place that i went to (les schwab) quoted me at 1100 for all 4, and they also told me they could get the enkie rpf1's in 17x9 +35 for 1200, i think i might end up doing it, as they will go on my account there, and just make make payments on them....what wheel's are you guys gonna run for those 285's....thanks
Old Feb 22, 2006, 10:15 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah we met at DC Divisional last year. The car in Kekek's avatar is one of my friends EVO, a copy cat haha. Yeah, Me and Jay will be at Fedex running Prosolo this year. Seriously you will love those 710, the stickiness is like full slicks and best of all, they last long for what it is, about 100 runs from my old set (still didn't cord but heat cycled out).

Only thing is the steering responds are not as fast as Hoosiers, they don't feel quite as crispy but they just stick...

Oh and one more thing, the first 15-20 runs are the fastest, then the performance will drop, after another 20 runs, it will drop again. They tent to heat cycle out really quick. And try not to co drive with anyone in summer cause they overheat, you need to spray them down with water between runs.
Old Feb 23, 2006, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Wow, 285s. That's some freakin rubber right there. Glad to hear that I made a good choice. Were you also at the NE Divisional with Kevo? Were you the one who won ESP? I'm a little confused by your avatar, because it looks like Kevin's car - I assumed that was Kevo, but again, I get all the usernames mixed up.
Yeah, that was me in the white car in ESP. I was gonna run SM with kevo and Travis for fun, but they convinced me to run ESP since I had a "chance".

The car is a friend's of ours, I just liked the picture with the sick clouds in the background.

I'm excited, I'm going from a 255 RA-1 to the 285 V710

SeanJhn9,
the wheels are FN01R-C's in 18x9.5 +35 offset. Fitment is real good, no spacers necessary (maybe front for shock clearance) and fender roll in the rear.
Old Feb 23, 2006, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

Kekek and Kevo what suspension do you have? Did you guys change your rear sway?

Last edited by chmodlf; Feb 23, 2006 at 07:26 AM.
Old Feb 23, 2006, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chmodlf
Kekek and Kevo what suspension do you have? Did you guys change your rear sway?
We are both running some decent Japanese stuff, neither of us has made the jump to Ohlins. Both of us used to run rear sways, but found with the stiffer spring rates in the rear the car became too unsettled in transitions. I actually only needed 2 runs with mine before I hated it. The OEM sway bars are pretty stiff as is and adding thicker ones seems to only accentuate the "pissing dog" even more.
Old Feb 23, 2006, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kekek
We are both running some decent Japanese stuff, neither of us has made the jump to Ohlins. Both of us used to run rear sways, but found with the stiffer spring rates in the rear the car became too unsettled in transitions. I actually only needed 2 runs with mine before I hated it. The OEM sway bars are pretty stiff as is and adding thicker ones seems to only accentuate the "pissing dog" even more.
I keep going back and forth on suspension. Ohlins are great but around $3K OUCH. I also do not want to run 900lb spring rates to make a pure autox car as I like to street the evo and do not want to loosen the fillings in my teeth. Thinking of going middle of the road (price and spring rates).

Quick Reply: Kumho Ecsta V710 245/45R17 - We shall see...