Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Resurfacing rotors question?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2006, 10:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Resurfacing rotors question?

Here is the story b4 I ask the question:

I took my car in for one of its services and I was told I needed new break pads and my rotors needed to be resurfaced. Ok well the pads thing I was expecting because I can feel that it wasn’t the same as it used to be, but the rotors caught me by surprise. They wanted to charge x amount to do it…let’s just say dealer price. I told a friend of mine and he is going to help me get the pads and such cheaper…but he had notices when he was looking that it is recommended that the rotors be turned on a “on the car” break lathe.

So here is the question, to turn or resurface the evos stock rotors do you need to use an “on the car” break lathe or a normal break lathe?
Old Apr 29, 2006, 10:56 AM
Evolving Member

either one
as long as the brake lathe is in good shape
Old Apr 29, 2006, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

you can use whatever brake lathe you want. The only time you really need to resurface rotors is when there is a shimmy/warped rotor. Some cases you will need new rotors when they get warped due to it being crappy metal. Most shops resurface rotors on a lathe for every brake job. Some only do a pad slap. Me personally for my car, if the rotors are within spec then i'll resurface them. If there is a shimmy/warped i'll get new rotors. If they are pitted then i'll get new rotors.
Old Apr 29, 2006, 11:03 AM
Evolving Member

you dont need to use on the car brake lathe that was just an invention for lazy people who dont want to take off the rotors.. lol

but seriously either type of brake lathe will work as long as they are correctly turned..

as for turning the rotors you really only need to turn the rotors when you feel excessive vibrating in the steering wheel from them being warped... other than that if they feel fine you should be able to just change pads without resurface.
Old Apr 29, 2006, 12:49 PM

i would also machine the rotors if they are glazed. im surprised that a lot of people ar unfimailiar with this.
a glazed rotor is kinda like when you peel off a sticker and the adhesive is still on the surface and you try to rub it off with your finger but you cant.
the glaze on the rotor acts as a barrier between your pads and rotor, reducing your braking performance. you wont feel a shimmy or vibration but your car wont stop as well as before.
also, you'll need to resurface/replace your rotors if they sre scored, in other words, have grooves in them. run your fingernail across the rotor surface and if you feel it catching, get them fixed. it should be smooth.
so remember, just because you dont feel a vibration in your steering wheel doesn't mean you dont need a resurfaced rotor.

just ask your mechanic/service writer to see why your car need the recomended work done.
ask them to show you the problem and explain how it effects you and your car.
Old Apr 29, 2006, 10:08 PM
Evolving Member

I pulled the tire so i could feel it myself, the rotor has a lip on the inside and outside edge, maybe one 8th of an inch around. I dont think its suppost to be there...also the rotors are "wavy" like I can feel its not flat. Other then those I dont see anything wrong, ill prolly have them turned on a regular lathe...unless anyone tells me otherwise.
Old Apr 29, 2006, 10:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Resurfacing rotors on the evo usually leads to them getting "warped" fairly quickly. So if your going to pay for labor i wouldn't resurface the rotors. Either buy new rotors or just have them put new pads on and bed corectly.
Old Apr 29, 2006, 10:47 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DO NOT resurface (ruin) your Evo rotors... See sticky at the top of this forum now that this thread is where it is supposed to be.

Last edited by Zeus; Apr 30, 2006 at 06:03 AM.
Old Apr 30, 2006, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
most people think their stuff is warped, just extra pad on the rotor, go re-bed them in, you're fine.