Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

What do you think of these tires?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2006, 09:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What do you think of these tires?

My tires are getting pretty worn out in my EVO. I've been looking around for some reasonably comfortable and not too expensive tires to replace the Advans.
I was looking around in Tirerack and found this Dunlop Direzza DZ101 tires. The price is definitely right and the user surveys are pretty encouraging.
I know that these are not in the same level of performance as the OEM ADVANS, but lately I've noticed that my most spirited driving does not appear to really use the ADVAN's ultimate grip anyway... The beauty of the EVO is that it handles great. It even does a great job with the Conti Extreme Contact all weather tires I have for the colder weather...
Has anybody tried these with their EVO? I've had the old style Falken Azenis Sports on my Miata and they were great, but they've been discontinued. The Toyo TR1 Proxes that I have now on that car are a big disappointment... Don't like them very much.. Maybe these Dunlops are a better option....
Old Jul 22, 2006, 10:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure about those tires but if it helps, there is a all tire thread floating around if you look. I believe the Falken RT-615 is the second best, but don't quote me.

Good luck. I have to replace the advans soon as well. 2 of them are pretty worn on the inside.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 10:05 PM
Evolved Member

BFgood KDW2
Old Jul 23, 2006, 07:33 AM
Evolving Member

you can't beat the price of the Dunlaps.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by bluebanana23
BFgood KDW2
pluuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuuuuus one. i love them. altho my next tire will be advan ao48
Old Jul 23, 2006, 07:35 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts
I'd run from those Manuel.
Look at Azenis RT615 (replaced old ones you liked) or Hankook RS2. You have to move to 245/45/17, but they are the most economical tires that still offer 90% of the grip from the OEM Advans.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 07:38 AM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by bluebanana23
BFgood KDW2
Quiet, don't wear too fast, great in rain, but dry grip SUCKS. I had those for awhile and would never run them on an Evo again.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 09:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Noize
Look at Azenis RT615 (replaced old ones you liked) or Hankook RS2. You have to move to 245/45/17, but they are the most economical tires that still offer 90% of the grip from the OEM Advans.
+1
Old Jul 23, 2006, 05:07 PM
Evolved Member

Hey Seth, thanks for the input. Why do you say to run from those? Are they bad tires?
Old Jul 23, 2006, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

1+ azensis
Old Jul 23, 2006, 05:18 PM

I just put on Kumho Ecsta MX on my car, so far I am very pleased with them. Great price too, $109 ea. from tire rack.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for all the input guys. I appreciate your enthusiasm and loyalty for the brands you like . However, I do have a peeve. Can we let up on the plus sign and number one? That's just "meee tooooo".

Anyway, I have not heard about any experience with these new Dunlop tires. I've had the cheaper Kumhos (not the MX though..) and the Kumho Victoracers before.
I've had the Falken Azenis too. I've also owned a variety of Dunlops, Yokos, Michelins, Toyos and other brands too.

I think I can live without the absolute best level of performance (famous last words?) in dry cornering in order to get less noise, more comfort and longer wear. Not to mention a price of less than half of the OEM Advans..
The cheap Kumhos I've had were not good, The race tires were fine... Some cheap, non performance Dunlop tires have been brilliant (like the discontinued A2). The Toyos are OK but not great. The Falken Azenis were very good in the Miata. I have some other Falkens in my wifes car and they are quite good too (for that car and type of driving). The Bridgestones I've had were pretty bad (I'm sure there are better models).

Basically, I don't race my EVO. My most spirited driving is just not that extreme and if I get in trouble it's probably not the tires fault (except the ADVANS in cold, wet weather ) The other tires that scared the crap out of me in wet pavement were the Yoko AVS Intermediate. The Falken Azenis were much better even when half or 3/4s worn out....

I want good wet traction, quiet, comfort, good wear characteristics and a good price.... Maybe that's too much to ask

Last edited by silverEVO8; Jul 23, 2006 at 06:49 PM.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 06:56 PM
EvoM Administrator

Based on that, I'd look at the Kumho MX in OEM size. They're the best of these three in the rain, and what I have on my car now. They're predictable, and a lot nicer than the Dunlops IMO. Also, do realize that a +10 in the width is barely perceptable in speedometer reading, even at 70mph.

My beef with the Dunlop Direzza DZ101 is that the grip is a little soft, and the sidewalls have way too much flex for an Evo. Think Yokohama ES100 but even a little bit softer and you get the picture. They also have a treadwear rating of 300, and they'll torture you while you're hoping they'll wear out. The Kumho MX are about 75% of the way from the Dizzeras to the Azenis. Here's a nice link to the Hankooks and the Azenis. Discounttiredirect has both as well, and might be cheaper with their free freight. If you lean toward the MX, go Tire Rack.

http://www.edgeracing.com/tire/1528/
http://www.edgeracing.com/tire/1535/

Of these two, I'm getting the Hankooks next, because they're almost identical to the Azenis in performance, but less greasy when hot, slightly cheaper, and slightly lighter. I think you'll be amazed how close they are to the Advans for so little money.

PS: The MX will have less noise than the Azenis and RS2s in the long run. All three are really good, and its a hard call! I have 25k on mine right now, and they're ready to be replaced pretty soon. I had to fight to death to get 15k from the Advans.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....Model=ECSTA+MX

PM me your number again if I can help you more. I lost my old cell phone and a ton of numbers with it.

Last edited by Noize; Jul 23, 2006 at 07:00 PM.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

Based on that, I'd look at the Kumho MX in OEM size. They're the best of these three in the rain, and what I have on my car now. They're predictable, and a lot nicer than the Dunlops IMO. Also, do realize that a +10 in the width is barely perceptable in speedometer reading, even at 70mph.

My beef with the Dunlop Direzza DZ101 is that the grip is a little soft, and the sidewalls have way too much flex for an Evo. Think Yokohama ES100 but even a little bit softer and you get the picture. They also have a treadwear rating of 300, and they'll torture you while you're hoping they'll wear out. The Kumho MX are about 75% of the way from the Dizzeras to the Azenis. Here's a nice link to the Hankooks and the Azenis. Discounttiredirect has both as well, and might be cheaper with their free freight. If you lean toward the MX, go Tire Rack.

http://www.edgeracing.com/tire/1528/
http://www.edgeracing.com/tire/1535/

Of these two, I'm getting the Hankooks next, because they're almost identical to the Azenis in performance, but less greasy when hot, slightly cheaper, and slightly lighter. I think you'll be amazed how close they are to the Advans for so little money.

PS: The MX will have less noise than the Azenis and RS2s in the long run. All three are really good, and its a hard call! I have 25k on mine right now, and they're ready to be replaced pretty soon. I had to fight to death to get 15k from the Advans.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....Model=ECSTA+MX

PM me your number again if I can help you more. I lost my old cell phone and a ton of numbers with it.
Thanks a bunch Seth, I think I'll go with the Kumhos based on your recomendation. I know exactly what you mean about bad tires that drive you crazy 'cause they last so long...
The Kumhos are cheap enough that if I hate them, I'll just suffer for a while and get me some other tires
Do the Kumhos only come in 245/45-17's?

Oh yeah, PM'd you too...
Old Jul 23, 2006, 08:56 PM

I got my MX's in 235/45-17. I ordered them from tire rack at about 3:30p and I got them the next day, regular UPS ground. Tire rack is great in my book.

Quick Reply: What do you think of these tires?