evolutionm.net - Home of the Lancer Evolution
Home Features Community Marketplace Registry Garage Store

Go Back   evolutionm.net > Lancer Evolution 1-9 Forums > Evo Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Evo Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.
Sponsored by: Tire Rack

Welcome to EvolutionM.net!
Welcome to EvolutionM.net.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old Jul 26, 2006, 09:18 AM   #1
Personal Sales Rating: (1)
Garage is empty, add now

Brake fluid leak after pad change

After I changed all my brake pads I noticed that there was brake fluid on the ground underneath the car. When I looked at the brake fluid resevoir, it was backed up all the way to the top (usually there was a little space). I had kept the cap on per the instructions I used when changing the pads.

I wiped the brake fluid off that was dripping underneath the car and I didn't notice any leaks. I pushed the brake pedal in to return the brake caliper pistons to the regular position, but the brake fluid level was still all the way to the top of the resevoir.

I bled the brakes, then went to the track, but my brakes were not stopping me as well as before. I am wondering if there is still some air in the lines and also where did the brake fluid that was underneath my car come from?

Old Jul 26, 2006, 09:22 AM   #2
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (30)
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: 2003 evolution

its because all of the fluid in the calipers got pushed back out and pushed back into the reservoir. mine did the same.

Old Jul 26, 2006, 09:22 AM   #3
Former Vendor
Personal Sales Rating: (107)
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: www.

you had to much fluid in there.. you prob. put fluid in there before you changed your brakes.. if you didnt bleed them properly, then there will be air in the now.. or you didnt bed the brakes in good, or there not the best pads.

Old Jul 26, 2006, 09:23 AM   #4
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (7)
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: 06 GG Evo IX SE, 09 Mercedes ML 350

Send a message via AIM to PA-silver03evo
The fluid was just extra from the reservoir. This is normal when you push the pistons back even more so if anyone ever topped off the brake fluid. You wont have any air in the system unless you removed a hose or opened the system somehow. New pads dont brake as well until they are bedded in so thats probably all you are feeling.

Old Jul 26, 2006, 09:26 AM   #5
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (30)
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: 2003 evolution

to bed them you should do about 7, 80 to 5mph braking (not to hard) and then let them cool and they should be good.

Old Jul 26, 2006, 09:27 AM   #6
Personal Sales Rating: (1)
Garage is empty, add now

Thanks. I was wondering how the fluid got underneath the car. Wouldn't pushing the pistons in just force the brake fluid out through the brake fluid resevoir? The brake fluid level was just to the max line before I changed the pads and I didn't add any before changing them.

Old Jul 26, 2006, 09:27 AM
EvolutionM
Mitsubishi Lancer

Paid Advertisement

Tags
brake, brakes, caliper, change, changed, changing, fluid, leak, leaking, leek, notmal, pad, pads, small, tires