Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Front wheel bearing noise/bearing preload?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2007, 06:56 AM
AMX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front wheel bearing noise/bearing preload?

'03 evo, 51k all freeway, driven briskly. I searched, only found limited info. The right front wheel bearing started to howl. Mostly noticed as changes in noise/pitch when the steering wheel is ever so slightly moved off center. Happens most between 50-80, reduces in noise as speed decreases below 50; gone above 80. Jacked it up, the right front wheel exhibits some really small movement when rocked hard; the drivers side wheel is rock solid.

It seems clear the wheel bearing is making the noise. As I don't have a shop manual my quesitons are:
1. Does the axle nut torque affect wheel bearing preload? If so, what is the proper proceedure to torque it and what is the torque value?
2. Has anyone had this situation and eliminated wheel bearing noise when the nut was torqued correctly or should I just get ready to replace the wheel bearing?
Old Apr 21, 2007, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i am having the same problem. did you ever replace the wheel hub and solve the problem?