Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Buddy Club Racing Spec coilover problem...need some help

Old Mar 27, 2007, 05:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Buddy Club Racing Spec coilover problem...need some help

well i've got buddy club racing spec coilovers on my EVO IX MR, and up until about a month ago, i'd never had any problems with them. now for some reason i'm getting a horrible creaking noise coming from the top of the front driver's side suspension. there's also an ungodly popping noise coming from the front. i can't tell which side the popping is on. it usually sounds like the driver, but sometimes both sides.

originally i thought my spring perches were loose, so i tightened those. the noise stopped after that. then about a day later the noises started again. i tightened the perches again, but this time that remedy didn't work.

a buddy of mine told me that maybe the spring was too loose, so i tightened the perch on the spring so it wouldn't move anymore. that stopped the noise for a few hours, but then it started up again. i checked the spring, and it was still tight.

the only other theory i have about the creaking is that the pillow ball mount on top of the shock is bad. it's got a bunch of surface rust on it (i guess from the car being parked outside) and i think it may be rusted out, and seizing up. that would explain the creaking noise, but i still have no idea what could be causing the popping noise.

i've been under the car and checked every bolt, perch, line, everything. nothing is loose, and nothing is touching, hitting, bumping, or rubbing. does anybody else have any ideas about what could be causing the two noises, and does a bad pillow ball mount sound like it could be the cause of the creaking?

somebody with experience with these things please help!!!
Old Mar 27, 2007, 06:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure what you mean by creaking, but creaking is typical for cars that upgrade to coilovers. Coilovers don't come with shims like the factory shock assembly. You can remove the shim from the old shock setup and place it between the pillow ball mount and chassis.

Did you pre-load your coilovers?
Popping noises might be due to the springs not seated correctly.
remove the coilovers and check.

Also, check the top bolt of the coilover. That sometimes comes lose. All you need to do is get the impact wrench and tighten it by hitting the bold for a split second. repeat as necessary.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Often times the pop/squeak in front is a result of the spring twisting against the upper mount, especially if you have a rubber gasket as a spring locater up top as part of your setup. As a macpherson setup, the entire assembly will turn when you turn the steering wheel, and if the spring "catches" on the upper mount or the rubber gasket, you'll get popping/squeaking as it tries to rotate against the mount.

You can try adding a ring of some sort of slippery, durable material between the spring and the upper mount if you have nothing there. We supply a plastic ring for this case, but even still, sometimes the spring will still squeak, it's just the nature of the beast.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 02:28 PM
Evolved Member

thanks for the replies guys. yeah, me and a buddy of mine preloaded the springs, and i put an impact on that top bolt. as far as the creaking being normal....no. i drove on this suspension fine for almost a year before this noise started. i'll jack the car up and make sure the springs are loaded again, but i'm pretty sure they are still tight.

any other theories if it's not the top bolt, or the spring?
Old Mar 27, 2007, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

as far as the creaking, it's coming from the top of the shock. it sounds like it's coming from the mount itself. the popping sounds like it's coming from somewhere lower. that sounds like it could be the spring. i can feel that one in the pedals.
Old Apr 5, 2007, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

anybody else with any suggestions? so far i'm thinking it's the pillow mount rusted and gone bad. i tightened and greased EVERYTHING on the coilover. put an impact on the top nut, the works. it worked for a few days, then the noise started again. i think it's just that pillow ball mount siezing and when it goes to turn, it makes the noise.