Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Question for Claudius

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2003, 06:27 AM
wtz
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question for Claudius

Hi Claudius,
You have mentioned that more rear brake bias can be achieved in the Evo VI by draining the proportioning valve. Is this true on our Evo VIII? How exactly is it done?
Cheers,
Old Jul 7, 2003, 07:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Me no likey sudden spinouts when brakes lockup in rain...

Just curious why you're wanting more rear bias? Do you feel the rears might actually have more stopping power to contribute? My Talon has a bit too much rear bias now and it's damn frightening for me to drive it in the rain.

Thomas Dorris
Old Jul 7, 2003, 07:51 AM
wtz
Evolving Member

The Evo is extremely front biased. Just trying to see if braking could be improved and some heat taken off the front rotors.
Cheers,
Old Jul 7, 2003, 08:10 AM
Evolving Member

Gotcha. That's the same type of thing I was trying with the Talon by swapping to a different bias valve. The '95 turbo AWD Talon came with two different types of rear rotors. The vented rear rotors were made for all of two months, I think, and the bias valve for that had slightly less rear bias than all the other '95 Talons that had non-vented rear rotors. I have the vented rotors on my car, but installed the non-vented bias valve to get a little more rear bias to see if I could keep the fronts a little cooler.

Just that little difference in bias, though, has made the car an unpredictable nightmare in anything but the clearest, driest of days at the track. My last trip to Summit Point resulted in a rather scary spin out at 80-90 mph that I'd rather not repeat anytime soon. Must... locate... proper... bias.... valve. FWIW, that particular bias valve is back ordered from Japan never to be produced again as far as I can tell. :-( Perhaps I need to switch to the non-vented rotors instead.

Anyway, I'm sure you're plenty aware of all this having raced for so long. Just throwing it out for others to consider... Changing the factory bias can be a tricky undertaking.

Bill, have you considered an adjustable bias valve? I guess you're just looking to do a quick test to see what helps and what doesn't.

Thomas Dorris
Old Jul 7, 2003, 09:04 AM
wtz
Evolving Member

I can't run a bias valve in T2, but what I thought Claudius was talking about was draining fluid from an existing part of the stock brake system for more rear bias. Just looking for an easy answer before trying to figure it out the hard way.
Cheers,
Old Jul 8, 2003, 05:52 PM
wtz
Evolving Member

Claudius, I need to know.
Cheers,
Old Jul 8, 2003, 07:06 PM

Evo 8's have an EBD (Electronic Brake Force Distribution system) The proportioning valve was replaced with a hydraulic solenoid valve.

Mark