Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Upgraded pads to Ferodo DS2500 - now looking for rotor upgrade...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2007, 10:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upgraded pads to Ferodo DS2500 - now looking for rotor upgrade...

I switched to the Ferodos when my stockers went out at about 45k. I've got about 10k miles on them now. One or two are noisy as hell, but I'm going to replace the shims on those wheels and re-lubricate to see if I can exercise that noise demon.

However - I've got pad transfer again. OEM rotors now have uneven deposits - steering wheel shudder on braking. Had the same problem 3x on the OEM setup. I even bedded the pads according to Ferodo's suggestions. :grr:

I guess my real first question is should I get the OEM rotors resurfaced - again? My feeling is I'll get transfer again so what's the point.

However - the rotors I've got my eye on are the girodisc floating rotors. Got the Ferodo's to make sure I had a pad that cleared the girodisc rotors appropriately, but I really don't want to spend $1500 on rotors.

So - looking for two things. 1) Should I resurface OEM rotors that have been twice or thrice resurfaced already and / or 2) please suggest a rotor or tell me the girodisc is as good as it is priced.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 10:23 AM
Evolving Member

Oh - on a similar note, girodisc is now selling stock replacement shims for $15 an axle. They still have the titanium ones for $80 an axle, but now they have stock replacement ones too.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

I replaced all my rotors with the stoptech slotted ones that I got from speedelement for $400 shipped (full set).

I've run everything from Hawk HPS to Hawk HT-10 on them and they've held up great.

so that's would I would do...
Old Sep 17, 2007, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ferrodo's made noise for about 1000 miles.. Now they are completely quiet. I like these pads.. nice street pads and they seem easier on the rotors than the stock pads.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

Also, if you have not read this article..

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...rakedisk.shtml
Old Sep 17, 2007, 11:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Evo IX
Also, if you have not read this article..

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...rakedisk.shtml
Just read it but I'm in total agreeance with it. Notice how I said pad transfer and not warped.

I'm convinced it has something to do with water and the OEM rotors personally. After a rain event, I get more shaking from braking, and the morning after my pads are almost fused to the rotors - I have to break them loose to move the car. Even happened with the OEM pads so I'm thinking it's not the pads.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 06:33 AM
Evolving Member

Can anyone with rotor experience weigh in here please?
Old Sep 18, 2007, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

if they are noisy, you didn't clean all the shims right or install with all the shims and padding, i have PF rotors and ferodo ds2500, plenty of roadracing and no noise period.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

I've been using the Stoptech slotted rotors for about a year with the DS2500's. I love this setup.. my only change on the next set will be a lighter rotor. I don't track the car other than drag racing so all I can say is I'm very happy and haven't had any problems.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

get some DBA's from EvoBrakes, competitive pricing, and none of that cheap, made in China crap from Stoptech (that's why they're economical to buy!)

PM for more details if you're interested. . .
Old Sep 18, 2007, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

+1 for dba. loving them so far (only a few 100 miles on them)
Old Sep 18, 2007, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Schuyler
Oh - on a similar note, girodisc is now selling stock replacement shims for $15 an axle. They still have the titanium ones for $80 an axle, but now they have stock replacement ones too.
I ordered an entire set of shims from the dealer cheaper than this. Give your dealer a call if you don't 'need' the Titanium ones yet.

I had pad transfer from my stock pads after one of my track events as well. I went out and re-bedded them in and it helped with the brake shudder a lot. If you have to, litterally stomp on the brakes from 20mph; then 30; etc. If nothing else, it's an easy and cheap option to try!

Last edited by boomn29; Sep 18, 2007 at 09:46 AM.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by shivaswrath
get some DBA's from EvoBrakes, competitive pricing, and none of that cheap, made in China crap from Stoptech (that's why they're economical to buy!)

PM for more details if you're interested. . .
NO.. the stoptech are not cheap Chinese crap. They are as good as you can buy quality wise (better then OEM), however if you're willing to spend 4x you can go with lighter options.

I've done 7 track days this year alone on mine.

Last edited by theblue; Sep 18, 2007 at 09:48 AM.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

I have no clue where they are made but they have been fine for me and i'm VERY hard on brakes. I have least 10,000 hard miles on them without any problem. (talking about the stoptechs).
Old Sep 18, 2007, 10:43 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by boomn29
I ordered an entire set of shims from the dealer cheaper than this. Give your dealer a call if you don't 'need' the Titanium ones yet.

I had pad transfer from my stock pads after one of my track events as well. I went out and re-bedded them in and it helped with the brake shudder a lot. If you have to, litterally stomp on the brakes from 20mph; then 30; etc. If nothing else, it's an easy and cheap option to try!
Finally someone replied to the thread starter's (me) question. Thanks! I was going to get the $15 per axle replacements and some good quality permatex copper grease and see if it stops my squeals.

Still trying to see if anyone uses the girodisc rotors and has comments on them compared to stock in terms of transfer, as well as general impressions... are they worth $1400?

Quick Reply: Upgraded pads to Ferodo DS2500 - now looking for rotor upgrade...