Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Whiteline 22m adj. RSB

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2007, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whiteline 22m adj. RSB

I know there are plently of rear sway bar threads, because I just spent damn near 2 hours reading them. I must say, the search function on this forum is one of the best on any forum I've ever been on I usually never start threads until I search, but like now, I need a bit more info.

It seems like there are alot of mix opinions about RSB's. It seems like some of the tracks guys are using stock sways bars and just using a nice set or coil-overs, but others are using coil-overs and sway bars (front and back). Why is this? Why use stock sway bars? Why use aftermarket sway bars? As it seems most guys suggest 24mm or bigger RSB's and it seems like people think understeer = slow, oversteer = fast. Obviously, not true, nor is it vice versa.

I bought my EVO used with Tein Springs. I understand these are not the best springs for the EVO, as I plan on some Tanabe Pro SS-II's next year. I'm still pretty damn pleased with the EVO's handling as of now, but I'd like to do something about this wretched body roll without increasing the feeling of oversteer. I feel like my oversteering is slowing me down even with stock sways and Tein springs. I hear complaints of understeer with stock EVO's so much, but I just don't see it. What I'm thinking is people simplying trying to go to fast. Any time I understeer, it's usually misjudging my braking, turn in or simply just going in too fast. My EVO is generally neutral, but if I feel even the slightly bit of understeer mid corner, I can lose it with a small lift, or just brush the brakes on corner entry.

Anyway, the point of this thread isn't about driving technique, but I want to lose some body roll, while maintaining the oversteer/understeer tendancies it currently has. Answer to that would be coil-overs/stiffer springs, I'd assume. Even with coil-overs I think I'll always run a stock FSB, but I was thinking the 22mm adj. Whiteline RSB.

I know the stock size is 22, but is the 22mm adj. Whiteline bar on the stiffest setting good enough to minimize roll while not causing oversteer? As I said, I like the over/understeer tendancies the car currently has, But I wouldn't mind if the car was more sensative to trial braking or lift, I'd just need to slightly change my driving habits. I'm just trying to make the car as neutral as possible. Coil-overs are coming next year for sure, but I'd like something for now that will work well with coil-overs.

I figure Tanabe Pro SS-II's with the Whitline 22mm adj. RSB, along with a good wheel/tire combo and a custom alignment should make for a decent car, but we shall see. I have some plans for further chassis and suspension mods, but I'm just looking into near future for now.

I apologize for the long read, I just like to give enough information so people understand me clearly Any suggestions, PLEASE feel free to contribute.
Old Sep 23, 2007, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anti-roll ('sway') bars are just one component of the suspension system. Good setups are chosen by taking everything into account (geometry, ride height, springrates, tire compound, driving conditions, etc.). Some use the stock bars and some use bigger bars. I've even seen people remove the rear anti-roll bar altogether.

The main indicator to look for here is the springrate. You'll find that the setups with the stock rear bar have enough rear rate that they don't really need a bigger one. Of course you can always add one to add another knob for tuning the balance of the car. This is common for the stock setup because the rates are relatively soft for track driving.

d
Old Sep 24, 2007, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah I understand you can eliminate sway bar with stiffer springs rates, but the nice thing about sway bars is keeping the car flater, yet slightly softer at the same time, which at times can be nice for street driving.

I think the 22mm adj. bar is a good choice if you're going with a nice set of stiff coil-overs, which is my intention. If I were to take a guess, a 22mm adj. bar on the stiffest setting would be about equal to a 24mm bar on the sofest or middle setting... Seem about right? Of course material and hollow/soild come into play...

Like I said I'm not look for tail out drift action, I already have trouble keep the rear in with stock bars. THat is why I don't want to upgrade to a 25 or 26mm bar. I wouldn't mind but I'd want a FSB to go with it.
Old Sep 24, 2007, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

This was the beauty of the Vishnu Ohlins setup, not too harsh yet it retained stock sway bars (granted with new bushings and end links).

Unfortunately, that setup no longer exists...
Old Sep 24, 2007, 05:47 PM
Evolved Member

I'm looking at Tanabe Pro SS-II's or PIC Select TSO in conjuction with the Whiteline 22mm adj. RSB. I just want something for the time being to eliminate some roll, because I like the look of the S-techs, but they feel WAY too soft. Since S-tech lower 2"/1", I'll probably lower the coil-overs to aproximatly 1.5"/1" to try and get closer to the stock rake.

As of now I'm still working on my driving, which I don't think suspension makes for good lap times, it's the person driving. Of course a good driver with good suspension will make better lap times I just want to control some body roll without a 25mm RSB.