Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.
View Poll Results: Coilover noise
Mine sound as quiet as stock and have zero noise.
23.03%
Mine make noise and i've learned to deal with it.
26.97%
Mine make noise and it drives me nuts!
46.71%
Mine made noise and I have found the cure!
3.29%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

The ultimate coilover noise thread...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2008, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The ultimate coilover noise thread...

Ok I know this topic has been beaten to death but it seems as if some coilovers are quiet while some make noise either in the front, rear, or both. Some of us deal with it and some of us start an endless quest to find an answer to the problem. It seems like rear coilover clunking is a common problem among many different brands of coilovers. Even within the same brand and model coilover some will make noise and some will not. I just wanted to make a thread to see who has coilovers that make noise and fixed the noise and who have coilovers that make noise and don't care. I think the more input regarding this subject the easier it will be to find a solution if there even is one....

Last edited by DSMEVOLUTION; Apr 14, 2008 at 06:38 PM.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 05:34 PM
Account Disabled

I'm in the same boat, posted on my thread about things you done to resolve this already, so I'm subscribed.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 08:51 PM
Evolving Member

My stance coil-overs always made noise in the rear on my g35, finally just go so frustrated, I got rid of them. I would have my wife drive around while I sat in the trunk and listen and I could never figure it out.... the next owner complained of the same problem. One main reason they probably made noise was they had steel bushings. But it made the worst noise on very subtle bumps, where there was very little suspension travel, so it baffled me.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 08:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can literally hear the tiretread contacting the road with mine, which I'm hoping will be cured by softer tires.

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

I've got no clunking of any kind, but that tire drone is driving me nuts.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 10:57 PM

Stance GR+ coilover for the evo sucks. always making noise. I finally got rid of them and got a lowering springs instead.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 02:15 PM
Evolving Member

Here are all the noise makers I know of, I'm sure there's more that can be added to this list.

1. spring perches. stock cars always have rubber between the perch and the springs, have a lot of gap between the spring and shock body, and always allow free rotation of the struts, usually with a thrust bearing on the top perch. Many coilovers don't have these, and will make noise over bumps and turning, period.

2. pillow *****. they make noise, period. that little sound of something a tiny little loose in the suspension. It's why race car suspensions are noisy and you use bushings instead of solid links on street cars. Even the best solid bushings/pillow ***** will make noise.

3. stiffness. stiffer spring, stiffer shock, more road noise and forces will pass through the suspension. You will hear the tires more. Your car will rattle more. etc. Twin tube shocks in particular do not react well to certain frequencies of input, and will make the rest of the care reverberate and make noise.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

Ok well this rear clunking noise is killing me right now, I think it's only the right rear for some reason but it might be both sides. I'm a perfectionist and when something is making a noise I want to find the answer to it. I tighted up my top bolts and greased up the pilow ball mounts the other day and it did not solve the problem. Today I called Tein (great customer service btw...) and they want me to take picture of the rear upper mounts and sent it to them. They said it could be the pillowball mounts but it is unlikely since the coilovers only have 1500 miles on them when I bought them. I also found out the Flex's come preassembled by Tein so there is not user error in assembly.

Earler this evening I loosened up the upper bolts and shook the rear end and I could hear a much louder clunking since they were loose. I tightened them back up again and shook the suspension with zero noise. I also decreased the dampening to the softest setting to see if that helped. I went and took a test drive and the noise has not changed. I find it very odd that I can bounce the rear of the car up and down without hearing a noise but as soon as I drive over a crack in the road I get a slight clunk. On rough road I hear a rapid low clunk like something's loose.

It's not a loud clunk like a sway bar hitting something or even an exhaust but rather a deep and low clunk/pop. It's a strange/unique sound. For those of you that think it's something else my car has 28,000 miles and had zero noises with the stock suspension. The first day I drove around with my coilovers I immediately noticed the noise. It may be just me but I could swear it's getting a tad bit louder but who knows. I could sent them to Tein in Cali and they do have a quick turn around but i'm in Chicago. I want to say it's the pillowball mount but I don't know. I've checked for play in anyway I could with the coilover on the car and it's rock solid.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 10:55 AM
ZK
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DSMEVOLUTION
Ok well this rear clunking noise is killing me right now, I think it's only the right rear for some reason but it might be both sides. I'm a perfectionist and when something is making a noise I want to find the answer to it. I tighted up my top bolts and greased up the pilow ball mounts the other day and it did not solve the problem. Today I called Tein (great customer service btw...) and they want me to take picture of the rear upper mounts and sent it to them. They said it could be the pillowball mounts but it is unlikely since the coilovers only have 1500 miles on them when I bought them. I also found out the Flex's come preassembled by Tein so there is not user error in assembly.

Earler this evening I loosened up the upper bolts and shook the rear end and I could hear a much louder clunking since they were loose. I tightened them back up again and shook the suspension with zero noise. I also decreased the dampening to the softest setting to see if that helped. I went and took a test drive and the noise has not changed. I find it very odd that I can bounce the rear of the car up and down without hearing a noise but as soon as I drive over a crack in the road I get a slight clunk. On rough road I hear a rapid low clunk like something's loose.

It's not a loud clunk like a sway bar hitting something or even an exhaust but rather a deep and low clunk/pop. It's a strange/unique sound. For those of you that think it's something else my car has 28,000 miles and had zero noises with the stock suspension. The first day I drove around with my coilovers I immediately noticed the noise. It may be just me but I could swear it's getting a tad bit louder but who knows. I could sent them to Tein in Cali and they do have a quick turn around but i'm in Chicago. I want to say it's the pillowball mount but I don't know. I've checked for play in anyway I could with the coilover on the car and it's rock solid.
I've had this noise with 3 different sets of coilovers and it is pretty common with coilovers. I've just learnt to deal with it. If you have rubber upper mounts like the stock suspension, it doesn't make noise.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

I have Zeal Function XS with 10K springs on all corners.

The only noise I have is on sharp hard turns, the front struts that are being compressed makes a clunking noise.

What may be the issue? It almost sounds like the springs are clunking not the mounts.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

The rears on mine just clunk and sound like they are jiggling around over hard surfaced roads with potholes. I have checked everything I can except taking them off the car dissaembling them entirely. They are rock solid from what I can feel and the springs don't have any preload on them but are tight enough to barely twist by hand. The springs wouldn't be an issue anyway because the weight of the car will keep them in place. I don't know how to check the psolid pillowball mounts unless I took them apart, it's hard to tell when they are on car. I'm almost positive there is a slight bit of play in the upper mounts and since the mounts are solid the noise is getting transmitted to be much louder than they really are.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Yep, my Megan Coilovers clunk in the rear because of the pillow ball mounts having play in them. My friend who has the same coilovers have much less if any at all compared to mine.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 11:42 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
metal to metal contact will cause noise. its common sense. if you don't want the noise, stay w/ KW v3 w/ factory top hats
Old Apr 18, 2008, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Speed Element
metal to metal contact will cause noise. its common sense. if you don't want the noise, stay w/ KW v3 w/ factory top hats
I'm fine with the noise as long as it's normal. However my next set of coilovers with use stock tophats in the rear. I can see a need for them in the front but there is really no need for them in the rear.
Old Aug 26, 2008, 05:17 AM

Unhappy

** EDIT

My suspension guy has confirmed my dampers and springs are showing wear and are making the clunking noise. Whilst it's not bad enough to require service yet, it is certainly annoying! It only happens when warm, he said when it starts happening as soon as you start driving the car then look at it again.

Further more, pedal vibrations/clunks have been isolated to my rotors/pads. I have new Hawk HP Plus pads going and will probably buy some DBA slotted rotors (Australian brand) too.

-------------

Bringing this thread back from the dead! I just put a set of used Ohlins PCVs into my car and I'm getting a clunk. Now don't get me wrong - I know some slight clunking from the pillow ball mounts is to be expected and I've got them but I'm cool with that. And I also know buying used is a risk.. but here's my description of my clunk anyway!!

1. I don't think it ever happens when the car is cold

2. After a drive, maybe 30mins, less if I'm pushing hard, the compress/rebound seems to be very audible, very slight clunking felt

3. After I've pushed it a little, it seems that they make even more noise when they've cooled down a little. Also add vibration to the noise - I can feel it through my pedals but I swear it's only coming from 1 strut (my driver's side, which in Australia is the right side, not left)

I have lubed the hell out of the top of the pillow ball mount, jacked the car up and rotated the spring and just given it a bit of a knock with my hand to see if I can replicate the sound but it all seems tight. Strut tops are also tight.

Anyway, it seems like everyone posts similar symptoms on forums here and in Australia but no one has an answer other than "it's aftermarket suspension, get used to it." Which is cool with me - but I don't think the vibration through my pedals is supposed to happen!!

If anyone has a clue, I've love to hear. Otherwise I'll continue to troubleshoot myself + with my suspension guy, hope to see him in the next few days.

Cheers,
Tim

Last edited by Timmy G; Aug 30, 2008 at 09:42 PM.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 02:40 PM

I recently started getting a clunking noise from the left rear of my car which has K-Sport coilovers and 12k springs in the rear. As far as I can tell it only happens while driving at low speeds or when the car is sitting and I move the back up and down.

I'm in the process of figuring out what exactly is making the noise. I'll get it on a lift and check out the shock, sway bar endlinks, bushings, and other misc. moving suspension parts and give an update if I find anything to be the cause.

Quick Reply: The ultimate coilover noise thread...