Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Front Ball Joint Replacement - Warning

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2011, 06:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, you can replace and refill stock boots with grease. FSM shows some special tool, but like someone said a large socket will work. If you use a pickle fork to remove the balljoint, it will most likely rip the boot. There is a special balljoint separator tool from NXT tools that works dang well on Evo's. Little scary when the balljoint pops, but works very well.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 11:56 PM
Evolved Member

Any updates on replacement balljoints?
Old Apr 2, 2013, 06:17 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by 05-EVO-GSR
Any updates on replacement balljoints?
get the whiteline rcck.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 03:47 PM
Evolved Member

What's labor like on installing the White Line kit?
Old Apr 21, 2013, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
unbolt the lower control arm from the frame (2 bolts) 1 bolt at the balljoint and it pops out.

Then you need to press out the old ball joint there is a c clip to be removed and but the new one in.

The tie rod has a jam nut which is loosened then put the whiteline piece on.

Alignment is needed.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 12:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts
A mechanic with proper tools and knowledge should be able to complete this job in two hours.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 03:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by deylag
A mechanic with proper tools and knowledge should be able to complete this job in two hours.
Assuming he has access to and is familiar with the use of a hydraulic press and the correct arbors. Also if the one bolt that terminates inside the subframe isnt rusted and then decides to spin inside the frame. YADA :-)
Old May 12, 2013, 12:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
KCA395 will fit to Evo4 lower control arm?
Old Aug 8, 2013, 07:09 PM
Evolving Member

I'll be attempting the ball joint replacement myself with the Whiteline kit. I've been reading about the several nightmares related to the subframe nut. Has anyone tried pressing the ball joint out with the control arm still attached to the 2 frame bolts? I think Autozone has the ball joint master kits for rent.

Any suggestions on doing the install without having to pull the 2 frame bolts would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Aug 9, 2013, 08:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a shop do this as I had them install the whiteline kit and upgraded LCA bushings as well. I've never had a problem removing the subframe bolts. But I've lived in the South and rust was never a problem.

I don't think you will be able to remove the ball joint from LCA while its still on the car. It will need to be pressed out. The Autozone tool is to separate the ball joint from the hub. Using a mechanical press is tricky as you really have to make sure the thing you are pressing out is secured and aligned properly. Best thing might be for you to remove the LCAs and take them to a shop and have them remove the ball joints and install the new ones.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 07:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mithrandir7533
I had a shop do this as I had them install the whiteline kit and upgraded LCA bushings as well. I've never had a problem removing the subframe bolts. But I've lived in the South and rust was never a problem.

I don't think you will be able to remove the ball joint from LCA while its still on the car. It will need to be pressed out. The Autozone tool is to separate the ball joint from the hub. Using a mechanical press is tricky as you really have to make sure the thing you are pressing out is secured and aligned properly. Best thing might be for you to remove the LCAs and take them to a shop and have them remove the ball joints and install the new ones.
/\/\ Correct. there was a thread with someone doing this with a huge C clamp...apparently got it done but a bit tricky. Pay a shop to press them in. Ball joint boot covers are easy...just be sure to fill w grease first.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 10:42 PM

http://www.rhdjapan.com/mitsubishi-o...tion-v-vi.html
Old Mar 6, 2014, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

That is for an EVO 5 or 6. Not sure they are the same joint as the 7,8,or 9 CT9A. Someone needs to order one to check or have Russell at Mitsubishiparts.net check the global parts locator.

Does anyone have experience trying to install this to a 7,8, or 9 front LCA?

Lastly, does anyone have any experience installing the Whiteline RCCK kit joints and then replacing the Whiteline dust boots with the OEM stock ones ( which are quite good )
Old Jun 17, 2014, 01:34 AM

Lower Ball Joint Replacement

you can buy a brand new lower ball joint and put it in because i did it to my evo 6.

People who are saying you can't are complete braindead idiots who havn't tried hard enough to find the part that they need. Yes some parts can't be bought individually but this can.

Enjoy the link
Old Jun 17, 2014, 05:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by customevo9
you can buy a brand new lower ball joint and put it in because i did it to my evo 6.

People who are saying you can't are complete braindead idiots who havn't tried hard enough to find the part that they need. Yes some parts can't be bought individually but this can.

Enjoy the link
Ummmm that part is for a earlier model Evo CP9A. Not saying it won't fit an Evo VIII or IX but certainly not advertised as such and since Mitsubishi does not list a pn for a CT9A ball joint my guess is that part is a no go

Quick Reply: Front Ball Joint Replacement - Warning