Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Front Ball Joint Replacement - Warning

Old Apr 29, 2008, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front Ball Joint Replacement - Warning

If you are replacing your front ball joint on the lower control arm, make sure you have the proper replacement part. Many parts suppliers have the part listed as Moog/Federal Mogul part number K80373, which is not correct. I called Federal Mogul and they did not show a separate ball joint for the base Lancer and the Lancer Evolution. They made a note of my feedback though, and said they would be correcting their electronic catalog. They showed no alternative Ball Joint replacement for the Evo.

I called the Dealership, and was told the Ball Joint was not meant to be replaced, and could not be purchased individually. I would have to purchase the whole control arm, which are $800 each.

The only alternatives I could find were the White Line Roll Center Correction kit, (thanks Robispec!) which comes with new, extended Ball Joints, and the Nagisa Adjustable Lower Control Arms, which are ~$1500 special order from Japan.

Just trying to save someone the headache I went through mangling my factory ball joint pressing it out, then realizing the replacement was not correct, resulting in parking the car while I waited for a used control arm replacement to arrive.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 05:46 AM
Evolved Member

As if folks needed another reason to go with the Whiteline Roll Center kit.

That is just a CRAZY good part and well worth every penny.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 10:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ball joints

White line roll center ball joints ftw. You should be able to get the ball joint from the dealership. They just don't know what part # to use to order it. Look in a service manual and you should be able to find the part # for the ball joint.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Had no problems with the Whiteline Roll Center Kit. If your using CO or Springs, this is a must and well worth every penny.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 10:27 AM
Account Disabled

you cant just replace the balljoint... it has to be the whole control arm
Old Apr 30, 2008, 10:33 AM
Evolving Member

Not true

Originally Posted by mitsuboost30
you cant just replace the balljoint... it has to be the whole control arm
You do not have to replace the entire control arm. The Ball joint can be removed from the control arm and replaced with a new one.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mithrandir7533
You do not have to replace the entire control arm. The Ball joint can be removed from the control arm and replaced with a new one.
put your money where your mouth is. Find the part number and prove us wrong

If they were servicable ball joints, then Mitsu corp would be having the dealers replace the ball joint instead of the whole lower control arm. It would be required to do so. FYI, I had to have mine replaced under warranty and it was the control arms replaced.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 11:34 AM
Evolving Member

the lower control are come with the ball joint.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 02:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ball Joint

I have the Whiteline Roll Center kit in... I had the OEM ones Pressed out... and these are in... i pitched the OEM ones... as well if the whitelines fail i will just get another set... but I ruined one of the rear upper control arms trying to put in the urethane bushings... new arm came with the Ball Joint... so I'm assuming they come pressed already with all the arms.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 04:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sabastian458

If they were servicable ball joints, then Mitsu corp would be having the dealers replace the ball joint instead of the whole lower control arm. It would be required to do so. FYI, I had to have mine replaced under warranty and it was the control arms replaced.

2 questions Mr. Genius.

1. How much labor is involved with removing and replacing the lower control arm?

2. How much labor is involved with removing and replacing the lower control arm and removing the ball joint and installing a new ball joint?

The ball joints are completely serviceable. If you really wanted too, you could rebuild the ball joint altogether by repacking it with grease and replacing the dust cover as stated on page 33A-16 vol. 2 of the service manual. The reason most people and shops don't do this is because it is labor intensive.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sabastian458
KCA395

Just because the dealership won't sell it, doesn't mean it can't be replaced. It's a scam to get you to buy more than you need.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 09:30 PM
Evolved Member

don't mean to hijack, what is the first indication the ball joint is going out???
Old Apr 30, 2008, 10:00 PM
Evolved Member

I've heard different things, but mostly I think it's a shutter in the steering that might come and go, or a clicking/popping noise while turning the steering wheel you can probably also feel with your feet and hands.

You can also check it by jacking the tire up off the ground, grabbing it from the top and bottom and trying to rock it up and down. If there is slop in the ball joint, you will be able to move the wheel/tire in and out near the bottom where the ball joint is.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 11:03 PM
Evolved Member

Why in the world would you even want to replace the stock when the whiteline kit is so much better?

Better geometry ftw!
Old May 1, 2008, 11:48 AM

we own a parts store.alot of cars are not meant to replace ball joints but after markets company make use of this opportunity to make ball joints so you can press out the old ones and replace them.why you think you dont see genuine ball joints?you can only purchase the control arm.probably there are companies out there make after market ball joints but really and truly they not suppose to exist

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front Ball Joint Replacement - Warning