Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

EBC Red v. EBC Yellow Review

Old May 23, 2010, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
EBC Red v. EBC Yellow Review

I wanted to share my thoughts and finding so far comparing these two pads. Differences in the pads is where the meat of the heat ranges are. You will notice that the MOT of the Reds is 1400*F and the Yellows is 1750*F. Not a big difference right? Well wrong. The Reds work best below their MOT, where as, the Yellows work best in their upper temperature ranges. The sacrifice between the two would be cold bite. The Reds have more bite on cold stops, but the Yellows can take more and more hard stops (aka HPDE events).

Car: 2002 Ford Focus SVT
Weight: ~2950 lbs w/driver
Uses: DD, AX, HPDE
Tires: Street - Goodyear Eagle GT | Race: Nitto NT01
Fluid: Amsoil DOT4
Rotors: PowerSlot Slotted Cyro Rotors
Ducts: GT3 Air glides
EBC Red: DP31641C - Front, DP31218C - Rear
EBC Yellow: DP41641R - Front, DP41218R - Rear

Name:  P1030615.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  144.6 KB

EBC Red
EBC RedStuff: 200-1400F, .50 drag coefficient

Impressions:
These have been fantastic on my car. I installed these fresh when I bought the car last summer. The car saw a half dozen autocross events on the Eagle GT tires and about 30k miles this year.

These pads where on the the full year. In the last winter, the car saw many cold days. Pads had near instant cold bite. Never did I have to wonder "hey, going to bite today?".

Noise - none. No squeal, no whine.

Cleaning of wheels - almost none existent.

Before a wash (good 4-6 weeks between proper washes):
Name:  Before.jpg
Size:  178.7 KB

After:
Name:  After2.jpg
Size:  206.6 KB

Racing:
I was able to get some autocross runs on May 8th at Winged Warrior on my r-comps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5lNXhm9NVY

I could go deep into the turns before braking, lot has to do with the tire, but also the brakes. Their bite is very positive and linear (read controllable with good modulation). No dust on rims, they are still clean.

EBC Yellow
EBC YellowStuff: 300-1750F, intermediate to high torque

Impressions:
So far with ~200 street miles on this pads, I have noticed some decrease in cold bite. However, once warm, these have lots of bite. The sort of bite that will pull your face off...and this is on street tires.

Noise - none. Yes, none. These are racing pads. On my Evo, I ran Hawk HT10 pads, and could you hear me coming. Sounded like a train stopping. Absolutely fantastic track pad. But not to be driven on the street.

Cleaning - some dust on my wheels now, but its mostly from the break-in material that EBC coats the pads with. I will update this after I re-clean my rims and drive for a while. Notice, my race rims are white, should be easy to see the dust, if there is any.

Racing:
Will be updating after my COM event Monday, May 31st.

UPDATE:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ftwb7gU08O8

Temp: 88F outside, 70% humidity.
Track: NH Motor Speedway, 1.6 miles, no down time, short straights.

Braking was fantastic. I was able to go very deep into the turns before braking. Carrying lots of my speed. Zero fade all day. No squeal either. And almost no dust. Rotors look good. Not groved or checkered.

Last edited by Smike; Jun 1, 2010 at 06:52 AM.
Old May 23, 2010, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have read alot of your posts in the past, where you recommend a street pad for the street and a race pad for the track. I noticed in your review of the yellow pads you said they are "not to be driven on the street." In your opinion, would this hold true for the reds also?
Old May 23, 2010, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I drove EBC Red Stuff and Yellow Stuff on my 8 a while ago. Daily drove both of them... Red stuff you can use on a daily EASY while the Yellows you need to be slightly more careful with when they're cold. Both are still capable of daily driving though.
Old May 23, 2010, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by in the red
I have read alot of your posts in the past, where you recommend a street pad for the street and a race pad for the track. I noticed in your review of the yellow pads you said they are "not to be driven on the street." In your opinion, would this hold true for the reds also?
Right, still do. Most racing pads do not work in the cold. These have a noticeable lag on cold stops. The Reds do not present with that at all. Those have instant bite.

Reds are their high performance street pads. Great for autocross.

Ill be swapping back to the front Reds after this event.

Last edited by Smike; May 23, 2010 at 03:24 PM.
Old May 23, 2010, 08:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
It's funny that you say the Yellows have no noise, because mine sound like someone scraping their nails across a chalkboard EVERYTIME I stop (mostly when cold).
Old May 24, 2010, 04:22 AM
Evolved Member

Really? I am not fibbing, there is no noise.
Old May 24, 2010, 05:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RJones
It's funny that you say the Yellows have no noise, because mine sound like someone scraping their nails across a chalkboard EVERYTIME I stop (mostly when cold).
My yellow's are also silent... copper/aluminum high temp 'anti-sieze' betweenad & shim, shim & piston, & on the side for sliders... daily driver, autoX & track time.. 30*-90* daily temps, and still quiet from first stop to the last...
Old May 24, 2010, 06:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RJones
Errr... I had the same issues when I first put on my Yellows. But the reason that happened was I forgot to put the shims (that were included with the brakes) in...
Old May 24, 2010, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

After the bedding in process, my Yellow's have very minimal squeal. I'm running these on a primary street driven EVO and they have plenty of bite imo. As Smike said, some dust, but not nearly as much as expected from a high performance pad.
Old May 24, 2010, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Toxin
Errr... I had the same issues when I first put on my Yellows. But the reason that happened was I forgot to put the shims (that were included with the brakes) in...
I put the shims in and everything. Maybe it's because I didn't do the 200 miles of street driving before the hard bed in, like was recommended. I installed them, bedded them on the way to autox, then raced them. All in a 12 hour period.

I used high temp silicone brake grease, which I've always used with great results. Now that I think of it though, I didn't grease the pins or the holes that the pins slide through... I can't imagine that resulting in this much noise though...

Last edited by RJones; May 24, 2010 at 12:39 PM.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 05:57 AM
Evolved Member

Updated
Old Jun 1, 2010, 06:46 AM
Evolved Member

Which pad did you run at the last event? I ran my yellows on Sat for 4 - 20min sessions with 0 fade.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

I was running the EBC Reds for AX. This is the first event with the SVTF.

How did you like the pad modulation? I though they had nice driver feedback.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
I was running the EBC Reds for AX. This is the first event with the SVTF.

How did you like the pad modulation? I though they had nice driver feedback.
I was very impressed. Great feedback and with zero fade. There was no worry in going from 120+mph down to 35-40mph in prep for hard turns.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by metalsaber
I was very impressed. Great feedback and with zero fade. There was no worry in going from 120+mph down to 35-40mph in prep for hard turns.
I agree, I am impressed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: EBC Red v. EBC Yellow Review