Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Clunking front end noise??

Old Dec 13, 2004, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok so now people are saying it is the spring. I think we need to figure out if this is really the spring or the stablizer link.
Old Dec 13, 2004, 09:26 AM
Evolving Member

Mines a 04 and it does it really bad too!

--Josh
Old Dec 13, 2004, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

mine has been making the thunking noise for about 3 months now.. it has been getting progressivly worse. I've brought it in twice for a diagnosis... the first time they told me it was my catback!?! the second time they said it was the plastic dirt shields under the car. Removing the catback, and tightening the plastic plates did nothing.

clunk still persists

BUDLoNG
Old Dec 13, 2004, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

I have been fighting this for a while now. 1 week ago I had my car on the lift and saw a lot of rocks in the the spring perches. I cleaned those out and I have not had a clunking noise since. My car would clunk all the time too. I do think the problem may be with the spring rubbing on itself since you could see a clean spot where it makes contact. I have just been too lazy to put some rubber in there. Of course, I have not had any noise yet since I blew all the rocks out.
Old Dec 13, 2004, 09:55 AM
Former Vendor

had the same prob. put tein struts in the clunking is gone. its got to be something with the struts
Old Dec 13, 2004, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

I would like to get a new suspension just not in the budget. I would like mitsu to fix this problem. More and more I hear springs that is why I'm not sure if it is the stablizer link.
Old Dec 13, 2004, 07:14 PM
Evolving Member

I put it on the bottom end of the spring. Didn't need to remove the strut, I just removed the wheels so get easier access and the car was on a lift so possibly the springs were decompressed fully.

Wait and see what I figure out with the TSB for those of you too lazy or those without the resources to do what I did. I'll be stopping by mitsubishi in a week or so. Or you guys can go to a dealer yourself and ask a tech to check if there is a TSB for front suspension noises.

I'll let you know as soon as I find out.
p.s. This is my second or third day of driving with the rubber hose addition and it's still smooth and quiet. Not as afraid of bumpy roads as I was before
Old Dec 13, 2004, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

I called my mitsu dealer last week and asked about the TSB on the front strut and what the clunking noise was. He told me to bring it in again and they can check it out again and see. Well there was no TSB on this issue to make a long story short.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 05:17 AM
Evolving Member

Roger Smith:

Sometimes just jacking up the front of the car & unloading the suspension makes the noise go away for awhile (like it did when I put on snow tires this year). Other times that makes the sound come back. So that, and not the rubber hose, may be what solved the problem on your car. Time will tell.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 06:27 AM
Evolving Member

hello,

I have an 05 MR and notice the clunk at 600 miles while autocrossing. It only happened when I had to brake hard before entering a turn. It sounded like something just broke in half. The sound was coming from the driverside almost felt like under the driver seat. The weekend after that same thing happened again while driving fast and hitting the brakes hard into a corner. I did not have that issue with the sti and it throws me off sometime but after consecutive autocross runs, I act as if it was normal since it does not do that during normal driving. I was at limerock on nov 8th and braking hard at high speed didn't seem to affect it.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 07:59 AM
Evolving Member

Ok i am a little confused, i do not have an evo yet but am getting one and from what i am reading here i should be looking forward to this damn clunking noise. Now from what i have read, it seems that people have done different things to eliminate this problem.(putting rubber in shock mounts, wrapping hose around bottom coil of spring, changing to pillow mounts, messing with the sway bar ends, and now recently the stabilizer link) Logically if the noise if coming from one specific spot, there should only be one way to fix it. Either there are several problems people are having and we are thinking it is one, or it is one problem but since we are messing with things its temporarily going away. Example: has someone just taken out the spring, then reinstalled without touching anything and see if the problem went away? Or another example, if there is a loose wire in a dashboard and a light is flickering, of course you bang the dash and it usually goes away or changes. I think this could be possibly what is happening here. I think we need people to perform certain procedures and see what the result is and post it. Ex: spray some WD-40 on a certain spot(small amount) and drive the car and see if the noise goes away by possible lubricating the spot that could be shifting or moving so it wont make the noise, if not try another spot and so on. Or maybe jack the car up, then lower the car back down and see if it goes away, this will let the people know that the shock they just replaced when the car was jacked up and said it went away might not of been the problem at all. Just some thoughts I figured I would throw out here. Let me know if anyone comes to any conclusions.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 08:05 AM

I have an 03 and it made the clunking after only 200 miles, when cold outside. After changing a flat. : ( I have not ever had the problem again.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 08:13 AM
Evolving Member

05evogsr don't let that deter you from purchasing the evo it is a great car with minor annoyances.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 08:35 AM
Evolving Member

What Maron talks about sounds like something in the swaybar area. One guy I work with said it's probably the swaybar bushings. If the sound is when you are turning, it's more likely swaybar.

The problem I had was driving over bumpy (like a washboard) surfaces, with the constant compression and decompression. I looked at the spring before I put the hose on. You can see it's very close to touching itself, so maybe under compression it does touch itself. My friend's 04 springs are plenty of room between coils.

Crusin_lancer, you probably have a better chance talking to a tech that works there. The service writers won't do s' for you. They're just trained to sell stuff to customers.

CincyEvo, I put my car up on a rack probably once or twice a month and I've always had the sound... until I corrected it.

If I get no results from my local dealer regarding a TSB I may offer to do this hose modification for any local evo owners. Or just live with it until you guys get coilovers... some day
Old Dec 14, 2004, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

05evoGSR. I wouldn't let this be the deciding factor when purchasing an evo. The car is great it just has its little fits.

roger smith: I have already taken my car to mitsu concerning this problem and I talked to the mechanic myself. At first he had said something is loose down there and they wanted me to bring it in so they could look at it more closely (this was at the end of the day). Brought in again and they said everything looks ok. Everything is torqued correctly and tight. No rubbing was seen on the coil.

From what I have found out from this experience is that I don't think it can be the stablizer link. If it was the passenger side would be making the same noise when driving over bumpy roads. If people are not having this problem when switching to coilovers then I don't think it could be the link or the sway bar. It has to do something with the strut and spring itself. Maybe everyone is right about the spring compressing on itself and the rubber hose will fix this. This clunking noise happens when turning right and left at slow speeds and high speeds. I still think mitsu needs to do something about this though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clunking front end noise??