Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Clunking front end noise??

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2003, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seemingly front left on my EVO. Loud. Started at 2,000 miles and has gotten progressively worse (now at 5k). Sometimes it sounds a little more 'central' on the car like it's coming from below my feet. It mostly occurs at slow < 40mph speeds when hitting larger bumps, and it's quite a hollow sounding noise (like a strut). I can also sometimes reproduce it if I jerk the wheel from side to side such that I load and unload that corner. Dealer cannot find anything wrong (nothing loose). Nor could the alignment shop that the car went into today.

It drives me nuts, but is the only gripe I have with the car so I shouldn't complain.

So long as nothing falls off while I'm negotiating an 80mph sweeper..

-Pace
Old Jan 6, 2004, 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I turned into my driveway and heard a clunk from the rear of the car. I also had an eclipse previously that had a clunk in the front of the car doing the same manuever. I think Mitsubishis just clunk. Supposedly, according to various other posts in DSM forums, the eclipse clunked because of the front sway bar, so maybe that's what's going on with the EVO. I'm not terribly worried about it.
Old Jan 6, 2004, 08:12 PM
Evolving Member

Me too, Left front. Did it with the stock down pipe and with the 3 inch. Sounds like a strut or spring clunking. Happens every once in a while. Usually when turning- Only complain though- Everything looks good though.
Old Jan 6, 2004, 09:17 PM
Evolving Member

I have the noise. It sounds kinda like a motor mount.
Old Jan 7, 2004, 06:26 AM
Evolving Member

Left front always, mostly with left turns, slight clunk. Mine almost feels like a loose ball joint, and yes I was driving a car that had that bad of a ball joint. Steering ability is overrated in my opinoin hehe.
Old Jan 7, 2004, 01:58 PM
Evolving Member

i have it too when going over a speped bump, sounded like my lower bar, i have a 3" downpipe. i figured it was the bigger lower bar hitting the speed bump becuase it hangs substantially lower than the rest of the car.
Old Jan 7, 2004, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

Front left also. My EVO just started doing it at 3k miles. Mine is going into the dealer tomorrow. I will give an update when I get it back.
Old Jan 8, 2004, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by machron1
I turned into my driveway and heard a clunk from the rear of the car. I also had an eclipse previously that had a clunk in the front of the car doing the same manuever. I think Mitsubishis just clunk. Supposedly, according to various other posts in DSM forums, the eclipse clunked because of the front sway bar, so maybe that's what's going on with the EVO. I'm not terribly worried about it.
No, The clunk from the eclipses was due to a recall with the lower control arm ball joint. (It snapped on my eclipses while I was driving... not cool.) But anyway I also have the same sound with my evo with the stock downpipe. I just don't want the same **** to happen with the evo as it did with my eclipse.
Old Jan 8, 2004, 08:26 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I know this I don't have an Evo (yet), but I have a problem in my Camry like this. It's the upper strut mounts going bad in the front on my car. I have uprated springs/struts (TRD). Maybe the stiffer suspension puts more load on the stock rubber mounts, and causes problems? It would be interesting to hear if someone with the pillowball mounts installed on their evo has the same symptoms.
Old Jan 9, 2004, 02:00 AM
Evolving Member

Thats so wierd. My Evo didnt do this at all when I first bought it but now at 14k miles it JUST started doing it. I know its not normal but its been going on for a while and it doesnt sound like anything is unsafe. It is definatley coming from my drivers side front. To me it sounds like a loose strut bearing or something. It ONLY happens if you hit a speed bump or turn the front wheels VERY aggresivly. I am going to take it apart sometime soon and see if I can narrow it down. I would hate to have those Mitsubishi monkeys working on my car. Then taking it for a little joyride!
Old Jan 9, 2004, 09:09 PM

7,000 miles now. Mine is doing it with slightly less frequency, and nothing has fallen off yet.

Anybody got any updates after having theirs investigated at the dealership?

-Pace
Old Jan 10, 2004, 08:33 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Right front under bump... When I pulled the wheel off, I could see wear on the side of the strut as if the strut is flexing...
Old Jan 10, 2004, 09:25 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally posted by Zeus
Right front under bump... When I pulled the wheel off, I could see wear on the side of the strut as if the strut is flexing...
I had my left front strut replaced under warranty @ 1kmiles because of the light clunk. When the strut was off you could feel the play in the shaft from the bad internal strut bushings. BTW I posted this back when it happened in May, the dealer was great to deal with
Old Jan 11, 2004, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

I've had the clunk since day one of owning my car. I notice it mostly when hitting speed bumps or expansion joints in parking garages with both wheel sat the same time. I was thinking it might have something to do with the steering rack.

Is there anyone who had this clunk and then had it resolved it by swapping out to coilovers?
Old Jan 12, 2004, 11:38 AM

Cool

oh, yes, I have had this problem on my EVO7 before as well. I dont know if this is going to help, however mines just stoped as soon as I changed the front sway bar end-links.

I cant be sure, but have an eye on this may help.

Quick Reply: Clunking front end noise??