Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Yokohama S-Drive Initial Review

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2010, 04:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yokohama S-Drive Initial Review

Well after 3 sets of Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs, 2 sets of OEM size, and 1 set of 255/45/17's, It came time for tire time again. Problem was this time around, I had allot less cash to throw out for tires. Since my autox ambitions are on hold for at least a year due to pay cuts at work, I tried to find a tire that would fit the bill. I ended up at Discount Tire and chose a Yokahama S-Drive in the OEM size. I purchased them for $580 out the door installed. Which was within my budget range.

Then off to the alignment shop here in town and had the alignment set at a more "street" friendly setting. Front: -1 degree Camber, 0 Toe, OEM caster. Rear: -1 Camber, -.01 Toe.

After driving the new tires for a week now my first impressions are in. I have realized either how good the Direzza's are, or how bad these tires are? That is up for debate. Braking sucks, takes MUCH longer to stop, ABS kicks in more even, cornering? Its like a wet speghetti noodle in the twisties. Thats the bad. The good? They are 10x's quieter than the Direzzas, and about $200 cheaper, and should (in theory) last longer due to the 300 treadwear vs. the Direzzas 200 treadwear. The S-Drives are also better in the wet, where I have noticed a difference even vs new Direzzas vs these new S-Drives.

I will fallow up with a later post to see if things change, and as a daily driven street tire, (of which I was looking for) they are ok. I wouldn't even consider doing an autox with these. Cruising in the streets seems fine thus far. Will keep you posted.
Attached Thumbnails Yokohama S-Drive Initial Review-blackberry-pictures-004.jpg  
Old Oct 3, 2010, 05:48 AM
Evolved Member

Those S-Drives have a different purpose then the Direzzas. I have the S-Drives (235-40-18) on my 2010 Camry and they have an excellent level of grip for a passenger car tire. Rain grip is phenominal. That being said, they don't hold up as well in turns and are not nearly as grippy as the OEM Advan A13C tires on my Evo X.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 06:02 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Two differ classes of tires completely. There's not much, if anything really, that can perform to the level of the Z1's. If you're an aggressive driver coming off the Z1's the Yoko will feel uninspiring. Best to drive "spirited" rather than aggressive with the Yokos or you'll tear them up a tad.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 07:40 AM
Evolving Member

s drives are poo I use them simply if i want to slide or have roundabout fun...
Old Nov 2, 2010, 02:27 PM
Evolving Member

Update

Well, I am back to give a 1500 mile update on the new S-Drives I had put on. I must admit they are not a bad tire. They are growiing on me. They seem to actually have a stiffer sidewall than the Z1's I had, but then again I was running a 255 on an 8" rim so their was probably a little flex there. I did run Z1's in the OEM size like the S-Drives now, but I don't recall how they were. I can say that the S-Drives do have a stiff sidewall over bumps and what not, but in the turns they seem to roll a little which sounds ironic. haha. They are quiet, track good and handle pretty darn good. Braking is down, vs the Z1's but again, this is not a "track" tire. I am hoping to get 20K miles out of these tires vs. the 10K I usually got out of the Z1's. I will post back with more info as it comes. So far so good, and for a "street" tire, and the price I paid?? you really can't beat them. One thing that did surprise me is that these Yoko's are Made in the So hey your supporting a community somewhere by buying these suckers. haha.

S-Drive
235/45/17
"W" speed rating, AA traction, A Braking, 300 Treadwear.
Price Paid $560 Out the door, installed at Discount Tire.
Attached Thumbnails Yokohama S-Drive Initial Review-s-drive.jpg  
Old Nov 3, 2010, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

I think the most forgiving tire which is the least eye opener for "downgrading" from star specs is the Hankook Ventus V12.
I realised how much I got away with with the star specs but these do fall short very very very little when compared with the star specs and as long as I have alot of higway miles, these would be what I would be using
Old Nov 3, 2010, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I went from S. Drives to the Hankook's and I actually like them. Both the S. Drive and the Hankook's slide in the rain quite a bit but in dry they handle quite well. When I got the car I don't even remember what tires were on there but next time around I'm considering spending a little more for a better tire. My Hankook out the door price was $650 - $60 rebate through Discount Tire also.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 03:39 PM
Evolving Member

The Direzza Z1's are hard to beat, but when I get back into my Solo II swing, my plan is to have some Evo 8 RIms and put some Direzza 255's on them. Then for DD duties I would like these S-Drives to use daily on my BBS's.

The V12's are good tires too. I just recommended those to a friend who drives a X GSR since the S-Drives in his size had a 6 week back order.

For the type of driving I am doing now these S-Drives are fine. I will say this, going from my Z1's in 255 trim to the S-Drive 235's and switching my oil from RP XPR 10/40 to M1 10/30 EP has netted me a constant 3-4 MPG Difference!!! May not mean much to some people, but to me for practicality and DD use that does mean something

Again, its what you need. I mean if you are at the track every weekend, then having the Z1's on the car all the time make sense. But for me, my car is mainly a DD, so these tires work well for me.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You cant even compare the two tires just like Neal said.

That's like comparing an R-comp to the Z1's.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 10:30 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 05blue8
I went from S. Drives to the Hankook's and I actually like them. Both the S. Drive and the Hankook's slide in the rain quite a bit but in dry they handle quite well. When I got the car I don't even remember what tires were on there but next time around I'm considering spending a little more for a better tire. My Hankook out the door price was $650 - $60 rebate through Discount Tire also.

Are you talking about the V12 Evos? They're arguably the best (cornering) rain tire I've driven. In the dry, I dare anyone to reach their limits on the street. There are better tires for the track, but as a high-performance street tire the V12 is outstanding.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 04:48 PM
Evolving Member

Folks, Im not trying to "compare" the Direzza Z1's that were on my car prior. I am just using them as a "reference" since many people run them on their car.

The Hancook V12 Evo's and the Yoko S-Drive's are equals in my book. Which ever you can get the best deal on.

I agree for "street" use, either one of these tires will be all you would ever need.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeffs2006EVOIX
The Hancook V12 Evo's and the Yoko S-Drive's are equals in my book. Which ever you can get the best deal on.
Are you sure about that statement? Because people are actually praising the V12 Evo to being "the next best thing" to the direzzas while the S.Drive are (in the dry) an obvious disaster compared to the Z1*.

So which one is it? Have you drive the Hankooks?
Old Nov 6, 2010, 04:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Toxin
Are you sure about that statement? Because people are actually praising the V12 Evo to being "the next best thing" to the direzzas while the S.Drive are (in the dry) an obvious disaster compared to the Z1*.

So which one is it? Have you drive the Hankooks?
Yes I am sure. Here is one test on the S-Drives to review:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=131

and here is Tire Racks overall rating through 1000's of customers using BOTH tires:

Hankook's
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....artnum=245YR7S

S-Drive
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....artnum=245YR7S

So based on these surveys plus reviews I have read in car magazines and from other drivers using both tires, YES they are equal in my book.

Hankooks almost as good as the Z1's?? That I will disagree on. Here Is why I believe that. I am a member of a Solo 2 club and have been since 2001. Though I am not racing this year due to financial issues, I am participating still by setting up and cleaning the tracks and helping pit for people. NO ONE on the course's I have seen regardless of type of car use the Hankook Evo V12's on their car. None. What you do see are Z1's, and Falken 615's fill 90% of the cars out on the feild. As weekend warriors, we look for a tire that can hold up and be used daily, the Hankooks run about $50-60 cheaper per tire than the Z1's, and if we could save $200 using the Hankooks because they were "almost as good" as the Z1's we would be using them and with the savings buy brake pads, oil, etc.

The reason why they are not used, is because they ARE NOT "nearly" as good. Maybe in a "street" sense they may SEEM like it, but you really don't know a tire till its on a tight road course like a Solo 2 course. I cannot vouch for High Speed Stability on either tire, but steering response, braking, and grip I can.

What I am saying is this. The S-Drive is a decent "Steet" tire. Is why I am writing the post. So people can review if they were considering the tire. You do not want to run a Evo V12 Hankook or the S-Drive on a road course. why? You will tear them up. Bottom line.

The S-Drives for me will fill the bill till I get my finances in order. They are a good tire and at a fair price. $560 out the door installed and everything is pretty good in my book, and the tire you get for that money isnt too bad either.

Mind you, the Hankook too is a good tire. But again, for the "street" so with that in mind, I again say, they are equals.

Last edited by Jeffs2006EVOIX; Nov 6, 2010 at 05:01 PM.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 07:46 PM
Evolving Member

My Post is not to debate over the ability for the S-Drives to match the Z1's, if you think that your reading too deeply into the post. The Z1 is like a "bench" mark only. To use as a comparison to the benchmark since so many run the Z1's.

I purchased the S-Drives for street use, and to save a little bit of cash since money is tight for me right now.

I must admit, the more I drive the S-Drives, the more I dislike them. Its a love hate relationship. Some days are good with them, some days are not. Where these tires really suck is in braking. I had to do an emergency stop the other day and the car just felt like a wet noodle. That is with about 1000 miles on the tires, so I will give it that they are not broke in yet.

I will keep the updates up.