Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Front Drivers Side 1/2" Lower Than Passenger Side

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2010, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front Drivers Side 1/2" Lower Than Passenger Side

So I bought this car from a member on here about a month and a half ago. The previous owner tanked a curb with the car and numerous suspension components were replaced. Since I've had the car the drivers side tire rubs really bad on the inside of the fender/side skirt while the wheel is turned left (mainly pulling in/out of parking spaces and going around turn-a-rounds). Previous owner said it did it when he had the car as well but said it was only with the steering wheel cranked left. Passenger side doesn't rub. Put the car on my friends lift and there was less gap around the entire drivers side tire between the fender compared to the passenger side.

When the car is on the ground the driver side is 1/2" lower than the passenger side. I measured from the top of the fender to the ground from the bottom of the head light to the ground, pretty much every way you could measure drivers side was a half inch lower.

So the motor/trans is out of the car right now and its on jack stands, no wheels on it, jack stands are on the sub frame where the LCA's bolt in, drivers side is exactly a half inch higher than the passenger side (measured from the top of the fender and from bottom of the head light to the ground). I put a level between the LCA mounting points on the sub frame in the engine bay and its level, put a level on the core support and its level as well . The car doesn't look to be sitting level though looking at it from the front.

None of the mounting points on the frame are buckled/bent the whole under side of the car is fine as well. I pulled the shocks/springs and the drivers side assembly is a tad shorter (car has eibach springs). Neither of the front LCA's were replaced, they don't look bent at all. I'm pretty much baffled as to why the car has this problem, I'm mainly trying to solve the problem with the tire rubbing on the driver side, tires are 255/45/17 on 17x9 Enkie RPF-1's. Previous owner said the car was put on a frame rack and the frame wasn't bent. Any help is appreciated!
Old Oct 26, 2010, 07:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
time for a frame machine.. and laser measuring..
Old Oct 26, 2010, 07:48 PM

Ughh I was hoping no one replied with that. Could the frame really be tweaked a half inch and there not be any noticable damage on the frame rail? I haven't dropped the sub frame/steering rack, thats next on my list, I guess its possible that is bent some how.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last edited by 4xforce; Oct 27, 2010 at 08:13 AM.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

Last edited by 4xforce; Oct 27, 2010 at 08:14 AM.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
uh.. mines dead even.

yinz need to have your suspensions looked at lol

could be a lateral bolt wasnt tq'd while in the loaded position.. etc.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

Last edited by 4xforce; Oct 27, 2010 at 08:16 AM.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 08:22 PM

Well the big issue is that the car is still uneven when its on jack stands with the suspension out of the car. I'm going to try a set of shocks that didn't meet a curb and see if that solves the shock/spring assembly on the drivers side. Im also going to pull the sub frame and measure it in more detail. If I still find issues I guess I'll take it to a frame shop. I'm going to be irrate if the frame is bent..as the prior owner said it wasn't....all this on top of the motor sending the #2 rod through the block 2 weeks ago...this thing is becomming more of a headache than my DSM I've had for 7 years

Last edited by sublime44; Oct 26, 2010 at 08:38 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

I feel for ya. Basket case cars can really nickel and dime you to death. Report back once you figure it out. Subscribed.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 04:45 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't trust that the previous owner took it and had it inspected. Take it to a shop. Something is bent and/or out of alignment.

PS - mievo.net is the local group. They can help you find a good local shop.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 05:29 AM

I actually picked the car up from the shop that did the work when I bought it. I'll take some more things off and see what I can find, it'd be a pain to take the car to a shop right now as the motor and trans is out so I'd have to have it towed.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 08:13 PM

So I put the passenger side shock/spring on the drivers side and vice versa...car sits perfectly even now . Both frame rails and shock towers are exactly the same distance from the ground. The driver side tire is still about a 1/4" closer to the fender/side skirt on the driver side...which I'd assume is why the tire rubs the inside of the wheel well. As of right now I'm going to wait til I get the new 2.1l and trans back in the car and I'll probably end up taking it somewhere to have it gone over with a fine tooth comb.