Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Tire / Wheel Fitment Questions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2006, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
will the 18-8 or 18-9 affect my car performance as far as power? or will it be the same as the stockers? 17-8?
Old Oct 8, 2006, 08:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by the chosen one
will the 18-8 or 18-9 affect my car performance as far as power? or will it be the same as the stockers? 17-8?
Here's and answer as vague as your question ...

maybe
Old Oct 9, 2006, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jbrown
Not gonna work.
I have the 17x9 FN01R-C as my track wheel with a 255/40/17 Toyo RA-1 and they clear the fender iners, but are a bit close. A 245/45 is taller than my setup and the increased width combined with decreased offset will push the wheel FARTHER into the liner whenever you turn. You would actually be making it worse for yourself.

You basically just have the wrong tire size. With a 6mm spacer in the front, my setup clears fine. I only needed the spacer because the tires were rubbing on my coilovers, I think if you have stock suspension, the rims would clear just fine, but your tire size isn't gonna work no matter what..
Even with a spacer up front? It is rubbing on my coilover. I would think the spacer would give me enough space.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 10:03 PM
Evolving Member

I like the new rota torque with 18x9.5 +28mm offset. Based on wheel offset calculator, with 3mm spacers (recommended by Subedude), the wheel is 32mm further out compared to stock rims. Will this set up work at all even with fender rolling???

Last edited by dreamevo; Oct 9, 2006 at 10:06 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lexat20
Even with a spacer up front? It is rubbing on my coilover. I would think the spacer would give me enough space.
You said it rubbed on the inside of the front wheel well, not your coilovers. Rubbing on the wheel well is an overall diameter issue, and spacing the wheel further out will effectively increase this when turning.

If it is only rubbing on your coilovers, and NOT the wheel well, then a spacer will do the trick just fine. I used a 6mm spacer. I'd recommend you spend a little extra time and money and order something hubcentric so you don't have to mess with getting it centered every time you take the wheel off.

The only drawback of a 5-6mm spacer is that no one makes one with integral studs, you have to go to at least 10mm for that, and it might look weird. I bought extended studs from RoadRace engineering and pressed them in so I could use just a spacer and keep the weight as low as possible. In my opinion the stock studs aren't long enough to use a spacer, though I'm sure several people have done it.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

I have a somewhat strange question...

Often times you will look at a wheel and notice that the center of the rim is pushed back more, and the wheel's spoke has a curve to it (like on this wheel) http://www.yokohamatire.jp/yrc/japan...argescale.html
Then on the same wheel w/ maybe a different size, the spokes will look flat. (this rim) http://www.gruppe-s.com/Advan/150_tc2.jpg

What offsets/rim widths give the rim these different appearences? (and I dont think its just the angle of which you are looking at the rim)
Old Oct 10, 2006, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by prj.evo
I have a somewhat strange question...

Often times you will look at a wheel and notice that the center of the rim is pushed back more, and the wheel's spoke has a curve to it (like on this wheel) http://www.yokohamatire.jp/yrc/japan...argescale.html
Then on the same wheel w/ maybe a different size, the spokes will look flat. (this rim) http://www.gruppe-s.com/Advan/150_tc2.jpg

What offsets/rim widths give the rim these different appearences? (and I dont think its just the angle of which you are looking at the rim)
Lower offsets will typically be more concave. Like the Volk TE-37, in 18x8.5 +30 it is almost flat, but in 18x8.5 +22 it is concave. Both will fit the Evo without a spacer, the +22 will require fender rolling and will tweak your handling and turning radius.

BUT some wheels have a high pad (or disk) and low pad (or disk) like the new ProDrive GC-06H. It comes in a 18x8.5 +32 with a wide (large) lip and low (small) disk that won't fit an Evo without a spacer, but it also comes in an 18x8.5 +34 with a narrow (small) lip and higher (medium) disk that will fit an Evo without a spacer.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 12:02 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dreamevo
I like the new rota torque with 18x9.5 +28mm offset. Based on wheel offset calculator, with 3mm spacers (recommended by Subedude), the wheel is 32mm further out compared to stock rims. Will this set up work at all even with fender rolling???
Any input on this?
Old Oct 11, 2006, 06:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dreamevo
Any input on this?
I have no personal experience with anything wider than 9" on a +30 front offset and +35 rear offset. But I can tell you that based on my experience it should just barely clear the springs in front. I have no clue about outer clearance, but plenty of people claim to be running 9.5" wheels with rolled fenders. Not positive, but I don't think you will need the spacers in the rear.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 08:17 PM

Do you happen to know if the Drifz 520 prodrift 18* 8.5 with an offset of 35mm fit on my evo? thanx
Old Oct 13, 2006, 07:43 AM

anybody??
Old Oct 13, 2006, 10:00 AM

??
Old Oct 13, 2006, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

When did this thread stop being the "Confirmed Wheel Fitment Guide" and start being the "Ask a bunch of questions thread"?
Old Oct 15, 2006, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

I have a question about the 5Zigen ProRacer GN+ wheels..

I was thinking about getting them in 18x9.5, but I want to make sure that they dont rub. The available offsets are +12, +22, +38, and +43. Which offset would I have to get to enable me to fit these rims with probably 255 tires w/o having to roll the fenders?
Old Oct 16, 2006, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by prj.evo
I have a question about the 5Zigen ProRacer GN+ wheels..

I was thinking about getting them in 18x9.5, but I want to make sure that they dont rub. The available offsets are +12, +22, +38, and +43. Which offset would I have to get to enable me to fit these rims with probably 255 tires w/o having to roll the fenders?
18x9.5 without rubbing or rolling = not bloody likely.

But if you're feeling lucky, start with the +38's and keep spacing them out until they just barely clear your springs and you MIGHT not be rubbing on the outside of the fender. The liner will probably rub no matter what you do.

The GN+ is a heavy slug by the way. I have no idea how they came up with the ProRacer name, but no pro racers I know of would put that heavy-*** wheel on their car.

Quick Reply: Tire / Wheel Fitment Questions