Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Tire / Wheel Fitment Questions

Old Jul 14, 2007, 07:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jbrown
Right now I run a 17x9 +35 with 255/40/17 Toyo RA-1's and the tires (not the wheels) rub on my Ohlins coilovers unless I use a 5-6mm spacer. Only the front rubs, not the rear.
I'm running the same RA1 tires and rim specs (5zigen FNO1RC) with the Vishnu/Ohlins coilovers and no spacers at the front. To get clearance between the tires and the lower spring perches, I had to set the stock lower camber adjustment bolts to minimize camber (which moves the top of the tire away from the strut), and adjust camber using the plates. This works fine, except I can't get more than about -2.7 degrees. Maybe that would work for you also.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tsi90awd
I'm running the same RA1 tires and rim specs (5zigen FNO1RC) with the Vishnu/Ohlins coilovers and no spacers at the front. To get clearance between the tires and the lower spring perches, I had to set the stock lower camber adjustment bolts to minimize camber (which moves the top of the tire away from the strut), and adjust camber using the plates. This works fine, except I can't get more than about -2.7 degrees. Maybe that would work for you also.
Thanks!

Next time I have the wheels off, I'll have to see if Robi did that for me or not. He set up the suspension AFTER I added the spacers and I never re-checked it.

Last edited by jbrown; Jul 16, 2007 at 08:23 AM.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 08:17 PM

wht's the best offset for 17' x 9' for my evo 9? can anybody help me?
Old Jul 17, 2007, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ralliart9
wht's the best offset for 17' x 9' for my evo 9? can anybody help me?
Anything between +29 and +35mm should be ok purely in terms of offset with a 235/45/17 or 255/40/17 tire.

BUT every wheel is different in terms of whether it will clear the calipers or not.
Old Aug 2, 2007, 05:26 PM
Evolving Member

Question hit brakes

Liquid Metal F5
Finish: Silver Machined
Silver powder coat with a glossy finish and a machined lip.
18X8 5-114.3 30SM

they hit my brakes what do i do. they have spacers and studs? how do you take the old studs out and will it rub. It looks like i nees a 1/4 to clear them
Old Aug 3, 2007, 06:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by spooln2004
Liquid Metal F5
Finish: Silver Machined
Silver powder coat with a glossy finish and a machined lip.
18X8 5-114.3 30SM

they hit my brakes what do i do. they have spacers and studs? how do you take the old studs out and will it rub. It looks like i nees a 1/4 to clear them
A 5mm spacer MIGHT work on the stock studs depending on the design of the wheel. You should be able to find them at any local wheel shop.

Installing new studs isn't the hardest thing I have ever done, but unless you are mechanically inclined and have access to a press to set them in nice and solid (and straight) then I would suggest you either buy spacers with built-in studs or hire a good local shop to install them.

The thinnest spacers I have seen with built-in studs are 15mm (about 5/8") so you'd be almost an inch wider than stock in terms of offset, but without the benefits of a wider wheel. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but hey, it's your car. You also need to make sure those wheels have enough room for your stock studs to stick into the back side of the wheel unless you plan to cut the stock studs short and never go back to stock wheels.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 08:30 AM

Hello good morning.

Please one the question.

My car is a Mitsubishi Evolution IX.

Is interesed of 4 wheels Advan RS 19 x 9..... ( OFF-SET ??? ) colour Gold.

Thanks and advance.

Fred
Old Aug 27, 2007, 05:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hi. would an enkei rpf1 18x9 +35 offset have a concave look ?
can anyone recommend me some tires that will fit ?
what modifications will i expect to do ? (rolling,spacers)
i have never seen pictures of these ? does anyone have picturs on any car of this specific fitment ?
Old Aug 27, 2007, 07:23 AM

I've got a set of Advan RS rims. 17x9in, offset 29. I'm planning on running Toyos 255/40/17 tires for track use. I've tried the rims on without tyres & they seem to be pretty close to the inside wheel well.

My ride is a Evo 9GT JDM spec. I'm running KW V3 coilovers. I've rolled the rear fenders in anticipation of some rubbing. Anyone tried this combination & managed to get by without rubbing with hard cornering?

Would appreciate some advice before I commit to tyres only to find out that they don't fit. Thanks heaps!
Old Aug 27, 2007, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Sardinecan
I've got a set of Advan RS rims. 17x9in, offset 29. I'm planning on running Toyos 255/40/17 tires for track use. I've tried the rims on without tyres & they seem to be pretty close to the inside wheel well.

My ride is a Evo 9GT JDM spec. I'm running KW V3 coilovers. I've rolled the rear fenders in anticipation of some rubbing. Anyone tried this combination & managed to get by without rubbing with hard cornering?

Would appreciate some advice before I commit to tyres only to find out that they don't fit. Thanks heaps!
If the coil overs are set up properly, you should have absolutely no problems.

I am now rolling on 17x9 +35 FN01R wheels with a 6mm spacer so I have exactly the same setup as you, at least dimensionally. I also run the 255/40/17 Toyo RA-1 tires very hard on the street and occasionally on the track and I have had no issues whatsoever.

BTW, I hope you are running the RA-1 because it's the only good tire Toyo makes.
Old Aug 27, 2007, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mpevo8
hi. would an enkei rpf1 18x9 +35 offset have a concave look ?
can anyone recommend me some tires that will fit ?
what modifications will i expect to do ? (rolling,spacers)
i have never seen pictures of these ? does anyone have picturs on any car of this specific fitment ?
Only slightly concave and I think you still need a pretty substantial spacer.

Look here for info on the 17x9 +35 https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=288899
Old Aug 27, 2007, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by jbrown
If the coil overs are set up properly, you should have absolutely no problems.

I am now rolling on 17x9 +35 FN01R wheels with a 6mm spacer so I have exactly the same setup as you, at least dimensionally. I also run the 255/40/17 Toyo RA-1 tires very hard on the street and occasionally on the track and I have had no issues whatsoever.

BTW, I hope you are running the RA-1 because it's the only good tire Toyo makes.
Thanks for the reply! What ride height are you running? My ride have been corner-weighted & the front I can fit 2 fingers between top of tyre & wheel arch. The rear is just under the wheel arch so I can't fit my finger in at all. In your experience would that be too low. Thanks.
Old Aug 27, 2007, 07:09 PM

Oh BTW this is going to be my track rims, so I'm running the Toyos R888, semi slicks.
Old Aug 27, 2007, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Sardinecan
Thanks for the reply! What ride height are you running? My ride have been corner-weighted & the front I can fit 2 fingers between top of tyre & wheel arch. The rear is just under the wheel arch so I can't fit my finger in at all. In your experience would that be too low. Thanks.
To use your measuring system, I am running just a hair more than 1 finger from the top of the tire to the wheel arch and the rear has just a tiny bit more room than the front. It is a Robispec setup that is more street than track. I can still get the rear to rotate nicely though ;-) But I do have every urethane bushing known to man (a mix of Energy Suspension, WorksEvo, and Whiteline), H&R front and rear adjustable swaybars as well as a pretty sweet Ohlins Flag/L coilover setup.

R888s are supposed to be really nice. Haven't tried them yet, maybe next time.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 12:58 AM

Hmm...so your rear is higher than mine, so theorectically for the tyres to fit & not rub I need to raise the ride height of my car, at least for the rear. I've got some Whiteline bushings as well. Bump steer correction, roll centre etc to name a few. I've also got front & rear swaybars as well. Our setups are pretty similar, so no reason why I shouldn't give the 255s a try. Have you ever tried to run the rear height lower & not have the tyres rub?

The Ohlins Flags are very good coilovers. Sat in a car running the Ohlins before & they are great for track use as well. The R888s are very good on track. We have the GG rating tyres which are a good compromise between grip & durability. I'm using them on the Sepang F1 circuit where track temperatures get pretty hot & they are good for about 30-40 hot laps. 30-40 hot laps is equivalent to 3-4 track sessions. I'd say that's not too bad.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tire / Wheel Fitment Questions