Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Which Ultra High Performance All-Season Tire Has the Stiffest Sidewall?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2011, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Which Ultra High Performance All-Season Tire Has the Stiffest Sidewall?

At this point in my life, I don't have the time nor spare cash to buy another pair of winter tires/wheels to replace my summer set. I felt the best thing to do would be to get a pair of ultra high performance all-season tires, so I did...

I ended up going with a set of Yokohama Advan S.4. tires. They grip decent, BUT whenever I turn hard into a corner, they feel like they are flexing and I'm driving through mud. I can't stand it. I'm looking to replace them now.

Which ultra high performance all-season tire has the stiffest sidewall available?

Last edited by _EVOlved_; Jun 29, 2011 at 03:04 PM.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

No idea anyone?
Old Jun 29, 2011, 09:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know from experience, but I believe that the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S plus is regarded as being the best dry performance All-Season tire out there. I'm don't know that that means they have above average sidewall stiffness, but it would seem awfully likely.

They are pricey though. Good luck
Old Jun 30, 2011, 09:10 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
There's a handful of tires with an XL load rating which will help stiffen it up. The B-Stone RE970 A/S, Hankook Ventus V4 ES, GY Eagle GT, and Conti DWS all have two plies of reinforcement in the sidewall instead of one like most others. Can't say how well any of those will mesh with the two Yoko's on the car now, however.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I wish I could give you the answer you are looking for. However, I do not believe a great handling all season tire exists. However, I have a suggestion - Winter Sport 3D.

Yes, I know, it is a snow tire. But, the 3Ds' will handle a good as any all season tire and you will rule in the winter. They are quite, ride smooth and will last 30k + miles (if you run them down to the cord - probably 45K). So, they will do what any all season tire will do plus they will serve you well in the winter.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 12:50 PM
Evolving Member

oops - mispost.....
Old Jun 30, 2011, 12:51 PM
Evolving Member

I've had BFGoodrich g-Force Super Sport A/S tires for nearly two years. I really like them because the don't feel squishy like the Michelin PS2's I had before. Feel and turn-in are a lot like the OEM A046 tires. But ultimate grip is less, and other high performance A/S tires have more grip too, dry and wet.

I decided on "no more expensive street tires" to save $$ for the track, and I have been completely satisfied with the BFGs from this standpoint.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by aeroweenie
I've had BFGoodrich g-Force Super Sport A/S tires for nearly two years. I really like them because the don't feel squishy like the Michelin PS2's I had before. Feel and turn-in are a lot like the OEM A046 tires. But ultimate grip is less, and other high performance A/S tires have more grip too, dry and wet.

I decided on "no more expensive street tires" to save $$ for the track, and I have been completely satisfied with the BFGs from this standpoint.
These two seem to be the most popular, along with the Bridgestone's. You feel that the BFGoodrich's have stiffer sidewalls though?
Old Jun 30, 2011, 08:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by _EVOlved_
These two seem to be the most popular, along with the Bridgestone's. You feel that the BFGoodrich's have stiffer sidewalls though?
i thought advan's, specifically anything in the a- line have the stiffist sidewall. the stock tires where 45 series and stiffer than any 40 series i have used yet
Old Jun 30, 2011, 10:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by aeroweenie

I have had these for the past two years as well and love them. I have also done some "spirited" mountain/canyon type drives and they did great. Yeah ultimate grip in some conditions (warm and dry pavement) will not be as good as for dedicated summer tires, but I don't have the luxury of roads like that here in the northwest. Instead I went with these which allow me to push it a little in the wet and a little more in the dry.
Old Jul 1, 2011, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by stpkenton
i thought advan's, specifically anything in the a- line have the stiffist sidewall. the stock tires where 45 series and stiffer than any 40 series i have used yet
Only the summer tires are the A-line though. The all-season performance tire is the S.4.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 12:43 AM

iv heard azenis have stiff sidewalls idk
Old Jul 4, 2011, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
i had the old re960as that worked well, but it was pretty bad in the snow - and didn't even perform all that well in the dry (compared to summer, as expected). honestly i don't think you can compromise on this one. conti dws is the best all season in the snow, and is not good in the dry. to be honest if you're not doing motorsports you don't need more than what any all season has to offer on the street
Old Jul 5, 2011, 09:23 PM

Not sure about having the stiffest sidewall, but the kumho ecsta asx would be a good choice as long as you don't plan on doing competitive driving. In my 23k miles with them I can tell you that I'm very satisfied with the dry/snow performance of these tires Rain performance seems only decent IMO. Remember, my experiences do also take into account that this is an all season tire; not a summer.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 09:07 AM

continental dws has a soft sidewall since they are made for comfort. not to mention, not a whole lot of traction. they are decent, especially for all season, but not a great performer compared to my summer only bfg geforce kdw2's.

Quick Reply: Which Ultra High Performance All-Season Tire Has the Stiffest Sidewall?