24.5 inch slick, 15" wheel or 26 inch and 16 inch wheels??? - evolutionm.net
evolutionm.net - Home of the Lancer Evolution
Home Features Community Marketplace Registry Garage Store

Go Back   evolutionm.net > Lancer Evolution 1-9 Forums > Evo Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Evo Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.
Sponsored by: Tire Rack

Welcome to EvolutionM.net!
Welcome to EvolutionM.net.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old Aug 16, 2011, 06:38 AM   #1
Evolving Member
Personal Sales Rating: (4)
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: 2005 EVO

24.5 inch slick, 15" wheel or 26 inch and 16 inch wheels???

I keep going back and forth between these two options and looking for some people to point out pros, cons, or what difference each will make.

24.5 inch slick - requires a 15 inch wheel and small brake kit. i believe these will be easier to control down the track and will be about 20% less abuse on the drivetrain compared to the 26 inch according to Jon at tre. I will also have to buy a set of wheels for $560 on the cheap side and brake kit $1200. I also worry about the reduced braking power by going with a smaller brake kit. Not sure if I would need to change stock suspension or not..

26 inch slick - I can get a set of RX-7 wheels for free and dont need to change brakes. Need spacers for $120 and wheel studs for $80. According to Jon at tre these will be a little more to control down the track and more abuse on drivetrain. I wont have to buy wheels but would still upgrade the stock brakes with some girodisc rotors and pads..so still looking at around $950 for brakes.

Heres why I cant decide...I feel like the 24.5 is the better option for the track. Now that being said I am not a track *****. I go maybe 3 times a year and spend most time driving the car on the street. I have never driven on a slick before though and am worried about how it will handle with the 26 even though its just a striaght line. I believe I could get better times out of the 24.5 but dont know if it will make that big of a difference that i will mind, as i only going to the track a few times a year.

Input, suggestions, advice appreciated and wanted...
Headgames Motorworks head service
FIC 2150's
Fullblown double pumper
Kelford 272
Buschur racing Fabricated intake mani
Spoolin' Up
700+ awhp

Last edited by awd2gen; Aug 16, 2011 at 06:42 AM. Reason: opps

Old Aug 16, 2011, 07:05 AM   #2
Emerging Sponsor
Personal Sales Rating: (5)
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: WWevo9rs

Send a message via AIM to FathouseFab
I had John @ MH tire send me a set of "tall" 24.5" slicks. Call him and tell him your awd and he will match a set for you. I got the four tallest he had, they are almost 25" on a 15" wheel. I think they are perfect!

Be prepared to spin some rpm thur the traps.

Fathouse
Fathouse Fabrications is a full service automotive high performance center, based in Indianapolis, Indiana area "the racing capital of the world".Specializing in Dyno Tuning (AWD Dynojet), Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Catch Cans, Chassis work and Custom Fabrication.

2006 Evo9 RS:Best et 9.73, best mph 152.66

http://www.fathousefab.com

317-535-6000
Fathouse Fab
9685 Old St. Rd. 37 N.
Martinsville, IN 46151

Like us on Facebook!!

Old Aug 16, 2011, 07:39 AM   #3
Evolving Member
Garage is empty, add now

Right. I know M&H makes a good slick for the 15 inch wheel but that really doesnt help my dilema. Is the extra cost worth it for the limited time I spend at the track? does it make a huge difference in time vs the 26? is the weaker braking performance going to be more of a irritation on the street than its worth? Those are more the questions I need answered. If I went with a 15 inch wheel it would be a M&H slick and if i went with a 16 inch wheel it would be a QTP slick.
FIC 2150's
Fullblown double pumper
Kelford 272
Spoolin' Up
700+ awhp

Old Aug 16, 2011, 07:49 AM   #4
Silver Sponsor
Personal Sales Rating: (79)
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: 2005 evo

I don't really know your setup to much but you will need a 411 Final drive to use the 24 inch tire in most cases or it will run out of gear.

-Em

Quickest 4G63 Powered Evo in the USA!
Quickest and Fastest stock turbo Evo.

STM Ricer: 8.75@166
Project RS Street car: 9.36@152/ 8.75@167 race trim
Cessna's Stock Block RS: 9.76@150
Shawna's Street Evo: 9.97@143
Cory's Stock Motor TSI: 9.8@148
Ryan's stock turbo Evo8: 10.16@131
Producing the ONLY numbers that matter!

STM's Facebook | STM's You Tube Channel | STMTuned.com

Old Aug 16, 2011, 07:56 AM   #5
Evolving Member
Garage is empty, add now

Hmmm I did not know that the 4.11 was needed for the 24 inch. I had talked to Jon at tre a out doing the 4.11 but hadn't thought about NEEDING to do that to run the 24 inch. That may sway me towards the 26 inch for now. I plan to have tre do some trans work but would like to get to the track a few times before I'm spending that kind of money.

Old Aug 17, 2011, 01:37 AM   #6
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (19)
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: Like a baby back *****

Send a message via AIM to RevMoto
I would never downgrade my brakes for three track days especially if it was my DD but then again I wouldn't put a 6262 on my daily either. Stick with the rx7 wheels if it allows you to retain stock brakes. Your mods in your sig don't portray a dd car but if 99.9% of your driving is in the street then keep the parts on your car that are better suited for it.

06 EB EVO IX
BUSHCUR TBA : BUSCHUR INTAKE/AMSOIL : AMS UICP/LICP : EBAY INTERCOOLER : SYNAPSE DV : PORTED EM/HS : 02 HOUSING : ECU CONTROLLED BOOST GMBCS/OMNI4 : WALBRO 255 : FIC1050 : FORTUNE AUTO COILOVERS : WHITELINE RCA : JDM REAR : OS GIKEN STR : MODDED REAR DIFFERENTIAL : MILSPEC SEALS : POWERFLEX : BLOOD/SWEAT/TEARS
MRFRED TUNED : 93 OCTANE DLL 374WHP/342WTQ : E85 DLL 427WHP/381WTQ
SCCA AX SM #9
PCA AX #170

Last edited by RevMoto; Aug 17, 2011 at 03:56 AM.

Old Aug 17, 2011, 07:29 PM   #7
Evolving Member
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevMoto View Post
I would never downgrade my brakes for three track days especially if it was my DD but then again I wouldn't put a 6262 on my daily either. Stick with the rx7 wheels if it allows you to retain stock brakes. Your mods in your sig don't portray a dd car but if 99.9% of your driving is in the street then keep the parts on your car that are better suited for it.
I think your probably right. I think that's the way i was leaning but needed to hear someone else say it. I know my car doesn't exactly scream DD but working on some things at the moment to make it just that without sacrificing anything.
FIC 2150's
Fullblown double pumper
Kelford 272
Spoolin' Up
700+ awhp

Old Aug 18, 2011, 10:12 PM   #8
Evolving Member
Personal Sales Rating: (1)
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: 2005 evolution 8 gsr

Any idea what the top mph would be in a stock gearing 8 5spd with the 24" slicks vs the 26" slicks? Lets say around 8k through the traps for us stock bottom end folks...

Edit: found it myself with the help of google lol

It looks like this folks. All mph are calculated with stock 8 5psd gearing crossing the traps in 4th gear at 8k

------------------Stock (4.529) Final Drive-------4.11 Final Drive-------------3.73 Final Drive
24.5" slick------118 mph trap speed---------130 mph trap speed-------143 mph trap speed
26" slick--------125 mph trap speed---------138 mph trap speed--------152 mph trap speed

Last edited by evo8john; Aug 18, 2011 at 10:23 PM.

Old Aug 18, 2011, 10:12 PM
EvolutionM
Mitsubishi Lancer

Paid Advertisement

Tags
15, 16, 245, 26, dia, evo, inch, rim, rims, rudolf, rx7, setup, slick, slicks, wheel, wheels