Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Help - Grinding while braking/ABS issue

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2012, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help - Grinding while braking/ABS issue

Two weeks back I put the evo into a curb while avoiding an accident in front of me in the rain. I hit the curb really hard passenger side front and back.

The moment I drove off, there was a grinding noise when I brake that sounds like metal on metal and there is a pulsating feeling in the brake pedal. This made me think a rotor got warped. What is weird though is that after driving for about 2 to 3 minutes, my "Anti Lock" break light comes on. After the light comes on the grinding noise while braking goes away and there is no more pulsating in the brake pedal. At the same time, while decelerating from 25 mph to zero there is a revolving rubbing sound that slows at the same rate as my car (even if im not braking). If I turn the car off and then start it back up, this whole thing starts over from the beginning with the grinding noise and pulsating brake pedal and the ABS light coming on after a few minutes.

I noticed this immeadiately after the incident. I didnt drive the car for a week as I repaired some suspension stuff. I replaced the rear upper control arm and the rear hub. Got my rims repaired as well. After fixing all that I got it aligned and it checked out.

As for the brake issue, I thought it was a warped rotor so I swapped in a barely used OEM brembo rotor for the front right. After doing this, the brake issue still continued. I then swapped another rotor to the front driver side thinking maybe that one was warped, but the issue still persists. Pads are EBC redstuff with 5k miles on them and they look fine.

Any ideas??? The grinding sounds really loud and it sounds like its coming from the front of the vehicle so I didnt check the rear rotors, but I dont think they are the issue. Also, the pulsating is really drastic. The brake pedal moves up and down a fair and noticable amount prior to the ABS light coming on.

Any help is much appriciated. Thanks.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:36 PM

Wondering if you found out what the problem was same thing just happened to me?
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:22 AM

It was the ABS teeth on the axle. 5 or 6 of them sheared off when I hit the curb so the car was getting weird wheel speed readings. I pulled the ABS sensor for that wheel to automatically disable the ABS. It drove fine after that but you dont have ABS and the ACD is disabled (All three lights are on). The only way to fix it is to replace the entire axle. Theres a couple places on here where you can get used axles for like $100-$150. Otherwise, its like $500 from the dealership.