Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Bilstein HD's

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2012, 08:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bilstein HD's

Anyone ever order these from eshocks.com? I ordered them 2 days ago and now they say they're on back order till 6/17.

Also, what is the difference between these and the MR bilsteins?
Old May 19, 2012, 05:34 AM

As I understand it the MR shocks are valved differently than the HD's.
Old May 19, 2012, 03:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 304MR

Also, what is the difference between these and the MR bilsteins?
Good thread, I've been wondering the same thing myself.
Old May 29, 2012, 09:35 PM
Evolved Member

I was looking at getting a set of Bilstein MR's and a set of swift spec r springs for a weekend non racer. I hear this a good setup? Thanks
Old May 29, 2012, 09:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by black_beauty
I was looking at getting a set of Bilstein MR's and a set of swift spec r springs for a weekend non racer. I hear this a good setup? Thanks
You won't regret that decision. My friend's 8 has the setup and the car rides wonderfully. Just purchased a set of Bilstein MR's for my own 8 and I can't wait to get them on
Old May 29, 2012, 09:56 PM
Evolved Member

is there much diff in the reg swift or spec r's?
Old May 30, 2012, 01:17 AM
Evolving Member

Not sure I've only driven the spec r's. They're fantastic though, maybe someone else can comment on the regular swifts, but I don't know why you wouldn't want to go with the spec r's.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 05:32 PM
Evolving Member

For anyone that cares, these are still on backorder. Bilstein was supposed to fill their orders by 6/17 and they are still behind.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 05:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
For anyone that cares, these are still on backorder. Bilstein was supposed to fill their orders by 6/17 and they are still behind.
All vendors are behind in getting their orders filled due to issues on Bilsteins end. It has been like this for 6 months.

In terms of ride quality the Swift SpecR are pretty stiff compared to the MR springs. It is not a s comfy as what some people are suggesting. The Bilstein HD's are valved slightly different than the standard MR shocks. A bit firmer.

If you have MR spec Bilsteins and they are going bad, you can send them to Bilstein in Cali IIRC and have them rebuilt. You can specify HD valving

According to GTWorx , the HD's valving are a perfect match to the Swift Specr's
Old Jun 20, 2012, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by WRC-LVR
All vendors are behind in getting their orders filled due to issues on Bilsteins end. It has been like this for 6 months.

In terms of ride quality the Swift SpecR are pretty stiff compared to the MR springs. It is not a s comfy as what some people are suggesting. The Bilstein HD's are valved slightly different than the standard MR shocks. A bit firmer.

If you have MR spec Bilsteins and they are going bad, you can send them to Bilstein in Cali IIRC and have them rebuilt. You can specify HD valving

According to GTWorx , the HD's valving are a perfect match to the Swift Specr's
i disagree, to me they are a little on the soft side.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 07:49 PM

Yep - I ordered my Bilstein HDs almost a month ago (eshocks.com) and were told they won't be ready to ship out until 7/8 at earliest.
I think Bilstien takes "build" orders only these days for em and no one can seem to stock them as a result. Seems like 1 - 2 month leads are the norm on these nowadays.
I have had my GTWorx springs for almost 2 years now and finally ordered my Bilstiens to get it all installed. Can't wait!

Old Jun 20, 2012, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Has anyone had occasion to run the GTWORX springs in combination with the OEM KYB's? I am thinking of getting the springs first and then the Bilstein HD's later on when I can afford it. So, can I run the GTWORX springs with my stock KYB's in the meantime? Or, would this be a total mismatch?
Old Jun 20, 2012, 09:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Curious about where the Bilstein HD fit in? Does the HD have a shortened stroke like the B8 below? I guess that would reduce likelihood of blowout with lowered springs ...

Below is a list of Bilstein set-ups available in the UK:

-The B6 "Sport" dampers are OE on the EVO 9 etc
-The B8 is like the B6 but with shortened stroke - ideal for use with Lowering springs
-The B14 is a coilover kit with fixed damping and adjustable ride height
-The B16 (PSS9) is a coilover kit with adjustable ride height and damping.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 10:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by sparky
Has anyone had occasion to run the GTWORX springs in combination with the OEM KYB's? I am thinking of getting the springs first and then the Bilstein HD's later on when I can afford it. So, can I run the GTWORX springs with my stock KYB's in the meantime? Or, would this be a total mismatch?
I ran GTWorx/RCE springs with my OEM KYB dampers for 8 months, before my used MR Bilsteins that were being revalved came in. They work well with the KYBs, ride was smoother than stock. I believe the springs are made to work with either damper.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 07:30 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Bilstein HDs are essentially identical physically to the MR Bilsteins. Minor differences but same travel/stroke. Valving isn't exactly the same but it's very close.

And yes they are backordered forever, for all sorts of cars.

- Andrew

Quick Reply: Bilstein HD's