Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Popping noise at low speeds

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2012, 06:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Popping noise at low speeds

Well, lately my car's been making a fairly loud popping noise when moving from a stop, or when rolling at low speeds (under 10 MPH). It seems to be from the front-center of the car. Took off the front passenger wheel last night and inspected the camber bolts because I originally thought the noise was coming from there; bolts were tight. Spring was also seated in place and the top strut mount was bolted down tight. My buddy rode with me to see if the noise persisted and noticed that it came from the center of the car. Any suggestions? It completely goes away after a stop, but it pops once or twice when going from a stop or going over a bump at very low speeds, or when turning at very low speeds.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 07:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I get the same thing....mine is the center/passenger side of car. I still gotta get it looked at.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 07:31 AM

I had this noise and it ended up being the front strut mounts. The popping you are hearing, would be the spings from the front suspension binding up, especially around turns. Tear them apart and see if the bearings are all gritty, or worn. Replace them if necessary. Fixed it for me.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 06:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by etown09
I had this noise and it ended up being the front strut mounts. The popping you are hearing, would be the spings from the front suspension binding up, especially around turns. Tear them apart and see if the bearings are all gritty, or worn. Replace them if necessary. Fixed it for me.
This description seems fairly accurate to me...did the popping noises happen only at low speeds for you as well? I only get 1-2 "pops" before it goes away...

If anything, it gives me an opportunity to try some Ralliart top mounts

Last edited by Jim3142; Sep 5, 2012 at 06:43 PM.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 02:29 PM

Yeah, it was usually one big pop/clunk around turns at low speeds, and sometime coming to a stop, or taking off from a stop, there would be a noise there as well. However, after I changed the mounts, I still to get a continuous clunk coming to a stop at every wheel revolution. I think there is a rock stuck in my brake pads causing that though.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 03:50 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the insight! On a side note, when I had my Star Specs mounted (a little more than 3 weeks ago), I mentioned to the tech that my car was making popping noises and he said he would check it out. After he was done with everything, he said my brake rotors were needed to be resurfaced/replaced. I guess I'll find out after I replace these mounts

BTW, did your mounts have any other negative effects when they were going out?
Old Sep 6, 2012, 04:41 PM

Not for me, just the symptoms already mentioned. let me know how everything works out
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:45 PM
Evolving Member

^Thanks, I'll report back when I get this problem fixed

On another note, a friend rode with me to lunch today and commented that it could be a motor mount going bad....which makes sense since it seems to be coming from the front-middle of the car, which pins it on the front roll stopper...I'll see if the engine budges later on today.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 02:11 PM

yes, it very well could be a motor mount, however my money is on the strut mount as your symptoms are identical to mine. Also, often times clunky noises like that resonate though the frame making them seem to be coming from places that they are not sometimes. Just guessing but you probably have a stabilizer bar in your car right? the knock would ring though that even making it seem like it was coming from the opposite side at times, but if you listen closely, you can usually tell where it is coming from.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 02:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by etown09
yes, it very well could be a motor mount, however my money is on the strut mount as your symptoms are identical to mine. Also, often times clunky noises like that resonate though the frame making them seem to be coming from places that they are not sometimes. Just guessing but you probably have a stabilizer bar in your car right? the knock would ring though that even making it seem like it was coming from the opposite side at times, but if you listen closely, you can usually tell where it is coming from.
I have a stock front sway bar...I should probably check to see if the bolts are still tight. Even then, the popping noise (and its a very definitive popping sound, doesn't sound like a clunk) only happens at low speeds when stopping, leaving a stop, or turning, and when it does happen, its only "pops" 2-3 times.

As for the motor mount theory, I had a friend take a look at the engine with the hood up while I revved it in gear. The motor didn't budge so I'm leaning away from the mounts for now...going to check the axles this weekend and possibly place my order for those Ralliart Group N mounts.

EDIT: I should mention that it sounds like a metal popping sound...almost like an unseated spring, but I checked the springs 2 weeks ago and they were perfectly seated...on the bottom of the strut. Is it possible that a spring would be seated at the bottom of the strut but be unseated at the top of the strut?

Last edited by Jim3142; Sep 13, 2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 06:40 AM

The way the front strut mount works is to let the spring pivot on a bearing so the wheels can turn without twisting/binding the spring. consequently, if the bearing starts to go, the spring will start to bind. The popping noise is the spring twisting and the bearing catching, then breaking free, causing the pop or clunk. And, by saying you get 2 to 3 pops in most scenarios, I would say that they are getting pretty bad, due to mine only would clunk once, maybe twice, and they bearings were very gritty. If you keep running it for much longer, you risk breaking your springs, and possible doing even more damage to the surrounding area.

Its not very hard to swap them out yourself, as long as you have a spring compressor. I just rented one. But I would take a look at it as soon as possible.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 06:53 AM
Evolved Member

I have the same thing happening with my evo x. So should I just replace the strut mount bearing? Do they sell just the bearing for them? And do you have the part number? Thanks!
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:11 PM

I believe you can just replace the bearing, but the whole mount is not a lot more, and probably easier to swap out. As for a part number, I got a used pair off someone, so I dont have a part number, sorry.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 06:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
is it like this?

i've had the strut popping before but it only made the noise during weight shifts

http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/...t=MVI_0366.mp4
Old Sep 15, 2012, 09:52 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kyoo
is it like this?

i've had the strut popping before but it only made the noise during weight shifts

http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/...t=MVI_0366.mp4
Nah, it doesn't do anything when you're already going faster than 10 MPH for some reason. It does only seem to happen when weight shifts though, as well as going over bumps at parking lot speeds (5-10 MPH). Just waiting on Rallispec to get back to me about the mounts and we'll see what happens

Quick Reply: Popping noise at low speeds