Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

THUD heard during hard braking?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2004, 12:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
THUD heard during hard braking?

I've searched the forums and can't find anything related to this, so I here goes...

My Evo has 1200mi on it, and twice today I stopped from approx. 40-55mph under full 100% hard braking. Of course I pressed the clutch pedal all the way in to allow only the brakes to do the work and not overload the tranny/drive train.

What happened twice kinda shocked me, but I'm not sure what exactly it was. Right as I was coming to a complete stop (granted, an emergency stop under full braking) there was a loud THUD/CRACKING noise that sounded like it came from the drivetrain.

Was it axle hop from the ABS barely locking the wheels? Was it drive train backlash from the front & rear wheels spinning at different rates? Or was it just my imagination?

Has anyone experienced this during full emergency stops? The brakes are working great and the tranny seems fine, I just was shocked at how loud the crashing noise was. It happened only for a split second and was gone, but it has me wondering what it was!

EDIT: I know what ABS is and I can feel it working, and the noise I'm hearing is NOT the ABS activating. The pulses are quick but this noise is a single crashing sound.
Old Feb 6, 2004, 01:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe the same suspension noise (clunk) that other people (like myself) are experiencing when loading/unloading the suspension. I'm getting my driver's side upper pillow ball mount and front swaybar end links replaced on saturday to see if it will fix the problem. I talked to a kid w/ a silver EVO @ a car wash & he's having the same clunking.
Old Feb 6, 2004, 04:09 AM
DGS
Evolving Member

Dunno if this is what you're getting, but I always get a loud thump under hard braking.

I really need a cargo net for the trunk.
Old Feb 6, 2004, 07:10 AM

I just picked up an '03 Evo, and I'm also hearing the THUD. I've got less than 500 miles on the odometer.

I've heard the noise when decelerating from 40mph to 10mph, and while decelerating to a complete stop.

Both of these situations were what I'd label strong braking.

It seemed like the sound came from the rear passenger side, and I originally thought that the dealer had left something inside the trunk, but it doesn't appear to be so.

If anybody else has experienced anything like this and investigate this, I'd really like to know what this is...
Old Feb 6, 2004, 08:10 AM
Former Sponsor

Both my rear arm front piviots were cracked...and some times the sway bar is set so when the rear gets past a certain altitude'
/attitude it hits the rear diff mount...
Old Feb 6, 2004, 08:37 AM
Evolving Member

I had the same problem in my Eclipse and it was my CV Joints popping up front. I had a BAER 13'' Track big brake kit upfront and it really put the weight down on the front wheels really quickly causing the joints to pop. However an Eclipse and EVO are quite different so it may not be the same. Just a similar circumstance.
Old Feb 7, 2004, 09:42 AM

Anyone else notice this problem?

I KNOW there are tons of you guys who have slammed on your Evo's brakes---what happens when you come to a complete stop from 40mph when slamming on the brakes? Does your front/rear suspension sound like it's making a loud POP noise?
Old Feb 7, 2004, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

I did , i was rolling though to a stop sign. Sounded like i ran over a coffee can. Then other time sounded like a popping/ metal noise. I dont even care LOL. If something breaks ill just take it in to get fixed LOL. It only did it twice .
Old Feb 8, 2004, 05:41 AM

I have actually noticed this sometimes when I auto-x my evo. A knowledgable, long time mitsubishi driver tells me it is probably from the AWD drivetrain and that it is not serious. It is a very disturbing noise, kind of like someone taking a bat and hitting the side of your car. I find that it tends to happen if I jump abruptly on the brakes (which is not smooth anyway). If you get on the brakes more progressively and then proceed to full ABS braking, it doesn't seem to happen as much. Hope this helps.
Old Feb 8, 2004, 09:06 AM

Thanks, that does help b/c your decription is exactly right...it sounds like someone is taking a bat & smacking the underside of the car really quickly. LOL

Thanks for the reply
Old Feb 9, 2004, 02:10 AM
Former Sponsor

Prob. your "5th spring oil canning" (flexing the unibody till one panel pops)
Old Feb 10, 2004, 06:12 PM

I have an appt. in the morning at the local Mitsu dealership to check out the noise...the service tech said his best guess is a loose coil-over spring/strut or suspension mount/bushing. Keeping the fingers crossed it's something simple, I'll update once I know what's up.
Old Feb 10, 2004, 06:21 PM
Evolving Member

I've had this too...

The first time I really stopped hard (very hard) I had this happen and it scared the living **** out of me - I thought something major had broken - but, thankfully nothing is wrong with car....I just had it up on a lift for new spring install and everything looked fine and car is running great.

I'm glad to read this post and see that others have experienced this joy.
Old Feb 10, 2004, 10:04 PM
Evolved Member

when i slam the brakes depending on the weather. my ABS/EBC (the electronic brake control thing) come on. pulsing the brakes.
i might of heard a thud before, but i don't remember it. Doesn't happen to me much.

the evo makes soo many noises, i lose track of them all. nothing scary yet.
Old Feb 11, 2004, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

I heard some weird noises today when i was braking not too hard.. 4300miles here ????

Quick Reply: THUD heard during hard braking?