Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

The brake squeak that WON'T go away!!!!!!!!!!!!! Need help please!

Old Mar 19, 2013, 07:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The brake squeak that WON'T go away!!!!!!!!!!!!! Need help please!

Gents,

I have an evo 9 that has the loudest brake squeal i have ever heard.
I have tried to get rid of it numerous times with little to no luck.

I sold my old 05 evo which had rotorpro rotors on it. i then bought my evo 9.
the guy i sold the 8 to said he was selling it and asked if i wanted anything off of it. i grabbed the rotors and continued to use the stock pads that were on the car.

after autoxing with stock pads, i decided they didnt have enough bite. so after a lot of searching, i elected to go with the EBC blue pads, stainless lines and dot 4 fluid.
i installed the lines and pads. bled the system per evo joe's write up. and then things started going down hill.

i had 50 or so miles on the blues before they started squealing.
i emailed ebc. they said to drive it a bit more so the surface of the pad can mate to the rotor. so i did. and for the next 300 unbearable miles, it squealed SOOOO loudly.
so ebc then tells me that i have an old set of blues and that they have a new set they will send that eliminates the squeak.
before i install the new blues, i had the front rotors turned. (the rears looked fine)
ebc said to drive these for 250 miles before bedding them. installed them with high temp anti seize and the ebc backing plate.
it was yet again, mile after mile of unbearable squeaking. they dont do it when they are stone cold. but after a few miles of normal stop and go, they howl!

the squeak sounded like it was mainly coming from the rear right rotor. so i swapped the rear pads from left wheel to right wheel to see if the squeak stayed in the right rear, and it did.

so i said f the ebc's and bought a set of ferodo 2500's.

this time i resurfaced ALL rotors yet again. (still the rotorpro's)
installed them with girodisc backing plates and high temp stop squeak anti seize.

the right rear still squeaked.
so i figured the only things left are rotors and calipers. (car has 51k miles on it. wouldnt think the calipers need a rebuild yet)
so i order a set of the stoptech rotors and install those. cleaned the hell out of everything, reinstalled everything, new anti seize, etc.
by god, the squeak went away!!!!!!!!!!
for a few miles.
then it started again.
now the squeak is coming from the left rear and it is squealing just as bad as it did in the past.

i am going to order a set of caliper rebuild kits unless you guys can think of something else.
this is driving me insane! to the point that i want to sell the car because its so loud.
any other ideas you guys have would be very much appreciated.

thanks fellas.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Have you replaced the hardware (metal pins and brackets)? I've gone through 3 sets of rotors, 4 sets of pads, right rear has always squealed loud. I'm having new calipers put on (thanks TCC), new rotor rings on my Baer hats, new pads, and all new hardware with shims.

I work on cars and I've worked on a couple cars that I couldn't get to stop squealing...until I replaced the hardware kits...then viola, no squeal at all. The metal wears, gets warped. Replace it and see. It isn't cheap either just so you know. I think the front and back kits are $50 or so but by the time you add up your time and frustration it's worth it.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 08:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buy some slotted rotors and get some silent pads and your gonna be the happiest guy in the world
Old Mar 19, 2013, 08:27 AM
Evolving Member

the rotors are slotted sir.
both the rotorpro and the stoptechs have been.

ill check out the hardware stuff.
thank you sir!
Old Mar 19, 2013, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
put the stock brake pad shims back in.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
I am running a different set of pads and rotors than you however my brakes are silent and always have been. When I put on my new pads I made sure to reuse my factory shims. First I cleaned the brake pins, brackets and shims really well.

Then I used permatex high temp anti brake squeal and applied it liberally to essentially anything that would end up being metal on metal. This included the pins the shims the back of the pads and even some side parts of the pads. Obviously I made sure to not smear it on the friction surface of the pads.

Sparknotes version- clean your hardware really well and apply anti brake squeal to any surface that will come in contact with another metal surface.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 06:02 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Not familiar w/ EBC Blues. Are they considered just an aggressive street pad or are they a dedicated track pad

Sounds to me like your catching an edge on the pad. Meaning the full pad may not be contacting the rotor. Just a guess.

If you find a ridge like this, file them down & re-install

Last edited by MinusPrevious; Mar 19, 2013 at 08:08 PM.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

good luck

Put a bevel on the pads like these, make sure you grease the metal edges of the pads where they contact the calipers and new hardware's a good idea.

Blue stuff are "high friction sport and race material" so again good luck.
Attached Thumbnails The brake squeak that WON'T go away!!!!!!!!!!!!! Need help please!-good-pads.jpg  
Old Mar 20, 2013, 08:47 AM
Evolving Member

i tried with the stock shims/backing plates too. still squeaked.

i have cleaned the pins and the clip each time i have done anything to them.

i ordered the rebuild kits, new pins and new clips for the rear.
i hope that fixes it.
i will check the pads for any odd wear patterns.

thanks for the suggestions guys!
Old Mar 20, 2013, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
You still havent mentioned anything about using grease or brake squeal. That is the key and I think your problem. Look at the picture that cfdfireman1 posted. You need to apply grease on the sides and back of the pads as well!
Old Mar 20, 2013, 01:12 PM
Evolving Member

high temp anti seize= grease or brake squeal stop.
i have used all of the above, and yes, have put it on the back and sides.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

Did you bevel the pads?
Old Mar 20, 2013, 09:49 PM
Evolving Member

i didnt bevel anything. honestly dont know if they are beveled already or not.
i will pull them out this weekend and look.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 10:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i replaced the brakes 3 times on my car, 2 times with autozone cheap pads, no resurfacing rotors, ( just pad slaps), and this last time, i replaced the pads with the map stage 2 package, ( rotorpro dimpled and slotted/ girodisc pads). i have had NO squeak issues and reused the factory shim each time, no brake goop or anything. i don't track the car, but i do daily drive. it's possible the caliper has a slight drag, causing the pads to glaze over after getting hot. other than that, i am not sure why some evos squeak and some don't. look at the pads and see if they are shiny on the affected wheel. and try all the other suggestions. but you may have a caliper issue. good luck.