Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Bump Steer on stock suspension.

Old Jun 30, 2013, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bump Steer on stock suspension.

Hello, I have been having some problems with some pretty bad bump steer for a while now. My car was also pulling to the side so I thought a alignment would fix it but when my friend did my alignment everything was green except the cross-camber, which I was skeptical about but he said he couldn't change that. Of course it still pulled to the right and the bump steer was still just as bad.

So I know that the cross-camber being off must be whats making the car pull to the right but what is causing this bump steer? I read on the internet that bump steer has to do with if the tie rod and control arm are different lengths, or sit at different angles, or a combination of the two.

So is the tire rod thing the reason for the bump steer or the cross-camber or a bit of both? I have never heard of someone with bump steer on a evo unless they lower the car. Please help evom community, driving like this is unsafe :[ !!
Old Jul 1, 2013, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
how do you know you have bump steer?
Old Jul 1, 2013, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by griceiv
how do you know you have bump steer?
Because the car used to be fine over bumps and now for a while its been pulling in all different directions in a almost dangerous way sometimes over most bumps.

Last edited by breadn56; Jul 1, 2013 at 02:33 PM.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
What are the specs of your alignment?
Old Jul 1, 2013, 03:51 PM

I know the car is pulling to the right I think because the huge difference in the front tires camber. I know before he printed it the only thing in red was the "cross camber" which I know must be because the front camber variance.

Though I don't think this would cause bump-steer since lots of people told me camber only causes a pull not bump-steer.

Last edited by breadn56; Jul 1, 2013 at 03:54 PM.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Getting that camber fixed would be a good start I think...
Old Jul 1, 2013, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Raptord
Getting that camber fixed would be a good start I think...
After looking at my alignment how bad is the front camber off? I have no idea why it is even grayed out like that, it was like that before the alignment also but I was informed that camber wouldn't cause bump steer.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

Has your car even been an accident involving the right front? On stock suspension the only adjustment for camber is with the eccentric bolt which has a -1 or -2 setting so it is strange to see a -.4.

Forget about bump steer at this point. Get your alignment straightened out 1st then report back.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by heel2toe
Has your car even been an accident involving the right front? On stock suspension the only adjustment for camber is with the eccentric bolt which has a -1 or -2 setting so it is strange to see a -.4.

Forget about bump steer at this point. Get your alignment straightened out 1st then report back.
:[ Nope never been in a accident that I know of(second owner), only thing is that this bar shown below in the image on my car is bent(Note the image isn't my car, just shows the bar I am talking about that's bent on my car even though its not bent in this image, sorry I just forgot the name of this bar) But my mechanic says even with this bar bent it shouldn't cause the camber problem ... is he wrong or is something else wrong all together?

Last edited by breadn56; Jul 1, 2013 at 08:10 PM.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

Looks like just a frame brace?
Old Jul 1, 2013, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Raptord
Looks like just a frame brace?
Yeah I don't know, I research as much as I can on these forums but I am better with ECUFlash and stuff like that so far then all the mechanical names of parts on my car. I was told it shouldn't cause a camber issue but I guess something is very wrong considering someone asked if I ever been in a accident
Old Jul 1, 2013, 09:36 PM
Evolved Member

Difference of 2 degrees between left and right is quite big, yes. Are the camber bolts pointing in the same direction?
Old Jul 2, 2013, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

Something clearly isnt right with the camber. OP is your suspension completely stock? If not please share with us what has been changed.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
you don't have a bump steer problem, you have a crappy alignment. negative camber and large cross camber will definitely make the car wander over bumps (not the same as bump steer which is a suspension geometry design issue).
Old Jul 2, 2013, 08:37 AM

I see.... well the suspension is 100% stock as far as I know. So still not a clue why its off so bad, I will check if the bolts are facing the correct way like I was asked though.

Guess I need to take it to a REAL alignment shop instead of my friend doing it at his dealership

Last edited by breadn56; Jul 2, 2013 at 08:50 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bump Steer on stock suspension.