Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Very Mushy Brake Pedal (Bleed Twice Now)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2014, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very Mushy Brake Pedal (Bleed Twice Now)

A few weeks ago I was driving and my brake pedal went from normal to down to the floor in 10 stops. I have no idea why. Stopped the car and Reservoir was empty. Filled it up (was close to a WalMart) and limped the car home. I had pressure, but it would require 75% pedal travel to get decent brake contact.

Fast forward. Since then I've replaced the crush washers on the front lines (SS lines) with new, copper ones to protect against corrosion. I've bleed the whole system twice with a buddy on two separate occations. Followed this both times (http://www.joe250.com/cars/evo8/brak...ebleeding.html) and have bleed brakes many times before.

I am still not getting pressure in my brake pedal. Reservoir is full and when I bleed the calipers, all that comes out is pure liquid. It's no better than it was before the bleedings. Pads have ~.375" of meat left. Driven it around the block and still need 75% pedal movement to get decent bite. If I pump the pedal while the car is off, it firms up right away. That gave me false hopes.

I feel like there has to be air in there somewhere. Master cylinder need bleed? Is there a good how-to on this? Also it's worth noting that the driver's side front, inside bleeder valve stripped so I wasn't able to bleed that one at all. But the pedal is no better than it was before so I don't think that's the main culprit.

Suggestions
Old Feb 19, 2014, 05:01 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by Talon
A few weeks ago I was driving and my brake pedal went from normal to down to the floor in 10 stops. I have no idea why. Stopped the car and Reservoir was empty. :
^^^This is the part I would be concerned about. Where did the fluid go?
Old Feb 20, 2014, 05:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
^^^This is the part I would be concerned about. Where did the fluid go?
I am also concerned about that. I think one of the washers that sits between the brake line bolt and spherical fitting corroded, because as my buddy and I were bleeding the brakes we noticed fluid spraying out of that location. However, we didn’t notice that until we had done three of the calipers already. So maybe it was a slow leak that turned into a big one… I dunno. That’s why I replaced them with new, copper washers and it stopped the spraying.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 06:58 PM

so is it fixed then? after the washer replacement??
Old Feb 20, 2014, 07:09 PM
Evolving Member

If you bled the reservoir dry then you may need to bleed the master cylinder which requires a different procedure.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 08:48 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
first things first......did you find your initial brake fluid leak? fix that, otherwise you'll continue to have issues.

if your evo has abs, there is a lot of air in the abs manifold.

buy lots of brake fluid....buy yourself a motive brake bleeder & crack each line going into the abs manifold, you will see / find air.

GL
Old Feb 20, 2014, 08:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would look for the leak. That fluid went somewhere. Look at your brake lines for any leaks. You can actually use your power bleeder to inspect for leaks. Pressure up the system and inspect your brake lines.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Boostin_hard
so is it fixed then? after the washer replacement??
The leak is gone, but the pedal is still mushy. There is definitely air in the system still.

Originally Posted by TSiAWD666
If you bled the reservoir dry then you may need to bleed the master cylinder which requires a different procedure.
That's what I am thinking next. Bought a MC bleeder kit today.

Originally Posted by Aby@MIL.SPEC
first things first......did you find your initial brake fluid leak? fix that, otherwise you'll continue to have issues.

if your evo has abs, there is a lot of air in the abs manifold.

buy lots of brake fluid....buy yourself a motive brake bleeder & crack each line going into the abs manifold, you will see / find air.

GL
Where is the ABS manifold?

Thanks,
Old Feb 21, 2014, 11:20 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by Talon
The leak is gone, but the pedal is still mushy. There is definitely air in the system still.

That's what I am thinking next. Bought a MC bleeder kit today.

Where is the ABS manifold?

Thanks,
Engine bay firewall offset to the curbside
Old Feb 21, 2014, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Is that what the flexible rubber line goes to?
Old Feb 21, 2014, 04:53 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Hoping you found it but if not look just past the dip stick in this pic & youll see the ABS valve & manifold

Old Feb 24, 2014, 05:38 AM
Evolved Member

Well, got the problem fixed. Ended up bleeding the system two more times, which made for five total. I guess there was a bubble somewhere that was being extra stubborn. Really didn’t want to do the MC unless I really had to so decided just to try a couple more bleedings. Pedal felt really good after two more cycles so I took it out to test it (just around my block). Still felt really good and was even able to get the ABS to kick so I think all is good. Drove it to work today.

Thanks for all your suggestions.