Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Tein Monoflex- good enough?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2014, 04:24 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Tein Monoflex- good enough?

i searched, but didin't quite find the info i'm looking for. i currently am on my stock Bilsteins with H&R progressive springs. while this was fine for daily driving, i have come to realize the suspension is now my weak point.

my original plan was to purchase Ohlins R&T, but i can not get any until May. i have at least one event between now and then, so choose to not wait.

plan b was a decent set of used coilovers that i can use for now and have rebuilt at a later date. KW V3s were what i was eye balling, but the seller and i couldn't come to an agreement.

so, my plan C is Tein Monoflex. i have a friend that ran the Flex on his Miata for two years or so. they seemed very capable and took anything he could throw at it. he has beat up on many, many, many other cars with his 260whp little monster.

i do about 2-6 HPDE per year and about 2-4 autox sessions. i can accept a harsh ride, though i'm concerned about the whopping 14k/10k springs on the Teins. my plan is to either run these until summer then buy the Ohlins, or upgrade the Tein springs to a set of Swift.

i don't mind using the Tein as a "for now coilover" despite the extra money i will spend. i do not plan to keep the Tein long-term, as my mind is dead set on the Ohlins.. unless the Teins somehow just blow my mind.

so.. in short: does anyone here have experience with these coilovers? if so, good or bad?

all i keep finding are threads of people talking about how slammed their cars are. thanks!

oh, this is on a 2006 MR.

Last edited by kaj; Mar 12, 2014 at 04:42 PM.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
I think you will be surprised how nice they will be. I actually wish I went with the mono flex as I opted for the super streets with edc , the mono's would of been about 300 dollars more then my setup. I must admit that I'm happy with my Tein setup and have had no issues with them in 20000 miles, I'm not saying there Ohlin's because not much are but there very respectable for the money. When driving pretty hard on some good back roads the car is much funner and stable. I have also noticed by running firmer dampening on the back it tends to understeer less. On the softest setting they ride very nice and actually better then my 335 xi on TC Kline h+r / koni SA coilovers . GLW your decision.

Last edited by ctfpevoVIII; Mar 12, 2014 at 05:30 PM.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 05:38 PM
kaj

i always run the stiff springs in the back, yes. i've been educated on the math as to why LOL. i would love to be happy with the Tein, as i'm not looking forward to losing a bunch of money when i sell them. if i am happy with them, they will stay. the MAIN reason for my wanting the Ohlins is because of their valving in regards to daily driving. from what i can tell, most of these coilovers (ast, ohlins, tein, kw) perform closely at the track (comparing products in the same price range, of course) but the Ohlins are awesome around town. that would be nice because i won't need to talk my GF into taking her car everywhere. haha.

i will still end up with Ohlins, for a number of reasons. hopefully i will be happy with the Tein so that i can get some decent use out of them before i sell.

has anyone upgraded the springs? i'm really curious of how an 8k/10k Swift setup would work. if so, which length springs did you go with and did you use helpers?
Old Mar 13, 2014, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ohlins and Monoflex don't belong in the same sentence. If you can hold out until you can buy a set.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 02:43 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
Ohlins and Monoflex don't belong in the same sentence. If you can hold out until you can buy a set.
i started reading your sig before i realized it was a sig and not your reply. haha. anyway, i know they are not near the same and i wasn't implying they were. my question is if the Teins are a reasonably capable coilover so that i can get some use from them until the Ohlins become avail. either way: no Ohlins until May unless i wanna pay $2,400 for a used set from another member here.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 04:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got damn.......2400 for a used set. Geez. I paid under 3k for some brand new.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 12:18 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
Got damn.......2400 for a used set. Geez. I paid under 3k for some brand new.
I have two quotes for $2525 shipped, once they are in. This guy bought his back when they were $3100. I couldn't get him to sell for less than $2400. I respectfully declined.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 09:26 AM
kaj

real quick, guys:

are KW V3s worth $250 more than the Tein Monoflex? experienced opinions, please? thanks in advance.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 07:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't spend the money on Ohlins unless you're trying to be competitive, and you'll know when you get to that point. If its just back roads you're trying to carve, Teins will do just fine.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 08:06 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by EVILutionVIII
Personally, I wouldn't spend the money on Ohlins unless you're trying to be competitive, and you'll know when you get to that point. If its just back roads you're trying to carve, Teins will do just fine.
Well, HPDE ain't cheap. Neither is autox. I'd like to get my money's worth on the Times I post. What mostly makes me want the Ohlins is I hear the ride around town is unmatched by anything in it's price range. A decent ride and great handling? Yes, please!
Old Mar 15, 2014, 08:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kaj

Well, HPDE ain't cheap. Neither is autox.
Compared to what?? It doesn't get any cheaper, bud...

If you're thinking these coilovers are gonna magically shave seconds off your lap times, you're in for a rude awakening. There's nothing more valuable than time behind the wheel and I don't mean on a back road. Your money would be better spent on some decent rubber.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 07:23 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by EVILutionVIII
Compared to what?? It doesn't get any cheaper, bud...

If you're thinking these coilovers are gonna magically shave seconds off your lap times, you're in for a rude awakening. There's nothing more valuable than time behind the wheel and I don't mean on a back road. Your money would be better spent on some decent rubber.
compared to: i spend hard-earned money on these events to have fun and i'd have more fun if i went faster and the car was a bit more predictable.

coilovers are going to shave time off my laps when i'm currently wagging the tail under hard braking into Bus Stop at BW.

i don't drive back roads and i have plenty of decent rubber, but thanks.

Last edited by kaj; Mar 16, 2014 at 09:03 AM.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
compared to: i spend hard-earned money on these events to have fun and i'd have more fun if i went faster and the car was a bit more predictable.

coilovers are going to shave time off my laps when i'm currently wagging the tail under hard braking into Bus Stop at BW.

i don't drive back roads and i have plenty of decent rubber, but thanks.
Tail wagging under braking can be an alignment issue as well as bushing issue in the rear. Do you have the rear trailing arm bushings and the bump steer bushings for the rear? Another issue is unloading the rear suspension ( too soft front spring rate which you alluded to ) or too much braking force in the rear ( front rear bias wrong pad mix etc ).
Old Mar 16, 2014, 11:20 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by WRC-LVR
Tail wagging under braking can be an alignment issue as well as bushing issue in the rear. Do you have the rear trailing arm bushings and the bump steer bushings for the rear? Another issue is unloading the rear suspension ( too soft front spring rate which you alluded to ) or too much braking force in the rear ( front rear bias wrong pad mix etc ).
i have not replaced the bushings, and they have 120k miles on them! well used. the car will be down soon, that is part of my maintenance plan. no bump steer either; i didn't consider it seeing how i'm nearly stock height (H&R lowering springs). my pads are matched.

this only happens on the one turn as i'm braking HARD and trying to give a bit of steering input. the car handles most turns on most tracks decently.

i am running Hawk DTC60 and Hankook R-S3s with stock Bilsteins (unkown mileage) and the progressive-rate lowering springs. obviously not the best setup LOL. i need suspension that can at least keep up with the rest of my setup. the car dives and rolls all over the place.

*edit: alignment is to OEM spec in the rear.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 01:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WRC-LVR
^this!

Quick Reply: Tein Monoflex- good enough?