Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Rotors ARE warped.. can I still use old pads?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2014, 10:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rotors ARE warped.. can I still use old pads?

I took my centric premium rotors to get cut afters my steering wheel has been shaking whenever I press on the brakes for a while now and the shop says they are warped. The pads have plenty of life left. Am I able to still use the old stoptech street pads (which have plenty of life left) with the new centric premium rotors I'm buying? Should I just go ahead and buy new pads also? The reason this happened was because of stopping on hot rotors while trying to bed in the pads. I live in the middle of the city and literally cant find a long enough low traffic area to do the bed in procedure. I guess I stopped on the hot rotors while bedding them in originally which caused this. I literally only street drive this car and never track or anything. I know everyone says you have to do the bed in procedure but can I just drive normal and let them bed in overtime? I don't want to take a chance on buying new pads and rotors a third time.. Obviously I'm a newb, thanks.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 10:18 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
the "warping" is pad material stuck to the rotor. your old pads will be fine, and there isn't really any reason to bed in street pads.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New rotor u should use new pads
Old Jul 20, 2014, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Buy new everything and be done with it.. you shouldnt have had issues bedding them at all---if you generated that much heat during the procedure then you generated way too much and over did it. Take it easy. Brake once or twice and let it go and see what happens
Old Jul 20, 2014, 10:21 AM

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
If you dont want to take a risk, then get new pads. Also have the new rotors ground with an on-the-car type brake lathe.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 03:23 PM

Can only recommend new pads... BUT if were me I'd just use the old ones... No better feeling than recycling lmao
Old Jul 20, 2014, 03:33 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by jbtsurf
Can only recommend new pads... BUT if were me I'd just use the old ones... No better feeling than recycling lmao
same here, if they are street pads LOL. as mentioned above, if you CAN get new ones, may as well. if i remember right, regular pads are really cheap.

The only pads you really want to bed in with an aggressive procedure are track pads. If you did this with street pads, you most likely over cooked them and then, as you know, pad material got stuck to the rotor when you came to a stop. Any reason you decided to not turn them to get the material off?
Old Jul 20, 2014, 06:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kaj
same here, if they are street pads LOL. as mentioned above, if you CAN get new ones, may as well. if i remember right, regular pads are really cheap.

The only pads you really want to bed in with an aggressive procedure are track pads. If you did this with street pads, you most likely over cooked them and then, as you know, pad material got stuck to the rotor when you came to a stop. Any reason you decided to not turn them to get the material off?
actually I took the two front rotors to one shop and they tried to tell me they were "warped" and couldn't be cut. Then I took them to a different shop because I thought it had to just be pad transfer and they were able to cut them and they look great now. I will be installing these rotors back on and am wondering if Ill be alright with the old stoptech street performance pads. They have plenty of meat left.. I just didnt know if the old pads might mess up the newly cut rotors? Thanks again for all the help guys
Old Jul 20, 2014, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

Rotors CAN actually warp. Commonly you will notice most vibrations only happen after the rotors get hot, which is brake pads material being transferred to the rotor surface. But rotors can actually become warp. I've machined a LOT of rotors my self to see that the cutting bits will only touch half the surface of the rotor as it spins.

I'd certainly reuse the pads if there is good life left in them. It won't affect anything. The bed in procedure, in my opinion isn't necessity. They will bed in over time on their own. The bed in procedure simply does this quickly, so you can use the pads to their full potential as soon as possible. It's just a street car, don't over think it too much.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 06:38 PM
kaj

I'll say I actually HAVE seen rotors warp, but it was cold water washing over really hot rotors. That's pretty rare. I've just never seen any do it due to getting hot from street pads. Usually the pads go first.

Last edited by kaj; Aug 12, 2014 at 08:12 PM.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Turn the rotors and re-use the pads.

I just would not go the other way, new pads, re-use rotors.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 07:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mitsuozboi
Turn the rotors and re-use the pads.

I just would not go the other way, new pads, re-use rotors.
Alright cool, Ill reuse the pads and the rotors look good after being cut. Ill keep you guys updated after driving around for a while. Hoping I can finally enjoy pressing on my brakes again lol
Old Jul 20, 2014, 08:30 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by beasters
Alright cool, Ill reuse the pads and the rotors look good after being cut. Ill keep you guys updated after driving around for a while. Hoping I can finally enjoy pressing on my brakes again lol
It'll put a smile back on your face.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 08:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MitsuJDM
Rotors CAN actually warp. Commonly you will notice most vibrations only happen after the rotors get hot, which is brake pads material being transferred to the rotor surface. But rotors can actually become warp. I've machined a LOT of rotors my self to see that the cutting bits will only touch half the surface of the rotor as it spins.

I'd certainly reuse the pads if there is good life left in them. It won't affect anything. The bed in procedure, in my opinion isn't necessity. They will bed in over time on their own. The bed in procedure simply does this quickly, so you can use the pads to their full potential as soon as possible. It's just a street car, don't over think it too much.
Its called Disc thickness variation. Google it and it will explain why your cutting bit will only touch half the surface.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 08:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Get two peice rotors and never worry about warp again. Then reuse your pads.

Quick Reply: Rotors ARE warped.. can I still use old pads?