Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Free caster mod

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2014, 06:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Free caster mod

Found an easy way to add caster and would like some opinions on this... I'd like 0.5-1* more in the front.

What do you think of this:
Reslotting oem top mounts to add some positive caster to the front suspension. I think it's doable on our evos and theorically it would yeld only positive results, except for harder steering input, which is quite light anyway on a stock Evo.

The mr2 owner in the link below redrill them, but I think what would be best is to slot them, exactly like aftermarket parts are made. Then get a proper alignment to dial the same caster on each side.
http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?...t=strut+caster

Looking at the stock mount, there is not much room to slot, but still maybe getting a 0,25* free is worth it IMO.
http://static.camskill.co.uk/smsimg/...mount-2-17.jpg

When slots are made, I think the torque on the studs nuts would itself hold the top mount from shifting.

Please don't tell me to get aftermarket camber/caster plates instead, because don't want the added NVH they give.

Last edited by domyz; Oct 15, 2014 at 06:24 AM.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 06:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
not free---but I am not sure you want a slotted solution either. Something about clamping force pressure on a 3000ibs car in motion doesn't sit well with me..but then that's me. Check this out is you want more caster.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ve...rs-review.html
Old Oct 15, 2014, 06:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by meckert
not free---but I am not sure you want a slotted solution either. Something about clamping force pressure on a 3000ibs car in motion doesn't sit well with me..but then that's me. Check this out is you want more caster.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ve...rs-review.html
Thanks for your opinion, but the PSRS kit add a lot of NVH from what I heard. It's still my daily driver so I want best of both worlds
Old Oct 15, 2014, 10:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
IMO not. Slightly more harshness over road divider dots. That's all.

Everything else is win-win. More caster and better straight-line stability. More precise and accurate steering. Less squirrely road handling. More dynamic camber. Better turn-in. Less toe-change/bump-steer. Slightly better turning circle. All makes for a better daily driver, as well as for a better track toy.

A mod with very few downsides - like a TRE diff and an ACD reflash and a good set of lowering springs ....

Originally Posted by domyz
Thanks for your opinion, but the PSRS kit add a lot of NVH from what I heard. It's still my daily driver so I want best of both worlds
Old Oct 18, 2014, 06:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alleggerita
IMO not. Slightly more harshness over road divider dots. That's all.

Everything else is win-win. More caster and better straight-line stability. More precise and accurate steering. Less squirrely road handling. More dynamic camber. Better turn-in. Less toe-change/bump-steer. Slightly better turning circle. All makes for a better daily driver, as well as for a better track toy.

A mod with very few downsides - like a TRE diff and an ACD reflash and a good set of lowering springs ....
The correct way of increasing caster is adjustable camber plates. I have Ground Control plates on my Talon. They have adjustment for camber and caster. I have about 5* of caster on the Talon
Rick
Old Oct 18, 2014, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
FWIW, loosing the stock sloppy rear LCA bushing is one of the better things you can do on an Evo. Whether it is a Ralliart Group N bushing, PSRS or Whiteline one does not matter so much.

While you car doing that you might as well go with the increased caster the Whiteline or PSRS offers.

There are some geometry benefits to using the bushing to increase caster. Which is not to say that camber/caster plates cannot also be utilized. But then you get into stack height, ride height and ideally you want double ride height adjustable coil-overs. IMO, in light of this, especially with lowering springs only, an offset bushing is a good solution - has been used in motorsports for donkeys years to hoodwink inspectors and so on.

Originally Posted by pagosa dsm
The correct way of increasing caster is adjustable camber plates. I have Ground Control plates on my Talon. They have adjustment for camber and caster. I have about 5* of caster on the Talon
Rick
Old Oct 24, 2014, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The great thing about the Perrin kit, and other bushing kits, is that it moves the lower point forward to add caster instead of moving the top rearward. So it adds caster and slightly increases wheel base which helps with stability. Double the benefits. I also head through the grape vine that Perrin may be discontinuing certain items, and I believe this kit is one of those items.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mouseIX
The great thing about the Perrin kit, and other bushing kits, is that it moves the lower point forward to add caster instead of moving the top rearward. So it adds caster and slightly increases wheel base which helps with stability. Double the benefits. I also head through the grape vine that Perrin may be discontinuing certain items, and I believe this kit is one of those items.
Yes,Perrin discontinue all EVO parts
Alternative is Whiteline KCA400M
Old Oct 24, 2014, 11:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you have firsthand experience with additional NVH caused by camber/ caster plates? It's the first I've heard of such a concern and I didn't notice any NVH difference at all when going to Vorshlag camber plates.

And, based on your sig, you must not be all too concerned with NVH if you have "Whiteline bushings all around." In my experience, nearly any Whiteline bushing will add more to NVH than camber plates.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BriK
Do you have firsthand experience with additional NVH caused by camber/ caster plates? It's the first I've heard of such a concern and I didn't notice any NVH difference at all when going to Vorshlag camber plates.

And, based on your sig, you must not be all too concerned with NVH if you have "Whiteline bushings all around." In my experience, nearly any Whiteline bushing will add more to NVH than camber plates.
Thanks for your experience. I never tried camber plates on my car, so I don't know what to expect. The threads about people confirming more NVH with camber plates are all over the forums, so that's why I think it will add NVH.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 02:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by domyz
I'd have to disagree. My car is a dd and I run the PSRS...I can barely notice any change in noise, vibration and harshness and I live in downtown Vancouver. The biggest change will be the steering feel. It'll feel a little more dead around the center of the steering wheel, but it will turn better as you move left/right. Also you turning radius is improved...which is a great side benefit with a daily driven evo. Things like your exhaust setup, motor/tranny mounts, struts, springs and tire sizing will play a larger role in compromising the "streetability" of a dd evo If I were you I'd just run the PSRS.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Anytime you replace a rubber bushing with a solid piece, it is going to add NVH. Personally I didn't notice much of a difference except for when I drive over expansion joints for bridges but even then its not that bad. The challenge is that it is a matter of opinion so what is seen as unacceptable to some is completely tolerable to others.

Maybe I am one of the crazy types as my car has upgraded bushings all around, the PSRS, spherical bearing top hats and 10k/12k springs on my Ohlins and I think the car rides great. Oh and I daily drive my car so it's not like it sits at home in the garage all week and is only taken out on the weekends...
Old Oct 24, 2014, 02:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
If you're on Ohlins you're car more than likely rides like a dream. I'm on Bilstein MR+Swift Spec R by comparison.

I want some R&T so bad....*shrug*....one day.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 03:03 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the experience guys, I'm sold. Will get the kit before they discontinue it.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 06:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didnt notice a difference at all for some reason. I did it same time with the Roll center kit.
All that work for nothing...besides having more caster and having to remove my fenderliners.

Quick Reply: Free caster mod