Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Clunk/pop Noise Coming From the Rear

Old Nov 19, 2014, 09:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Clunk/pop Noise Coming From the Rear

My car recently developed a pop sound from the back a few weeks ago. It started when I was going over a speed bump at low speed and ever since then I get the same clunk/pop noise when I do over uneven ground at lower speed (usually under 30mph or so) and especially over speed bumps or large dips. When I go over speed bumps I get two pop sounds; one when I begin going over the bump and the second one as I make my way over. I don't know what it could be but I got it looked at by a mechanic and he said that I need to replace my rear struts and strut mounts. About a week later I replaced the rear struts with an OEM set but the noise is still there. I didn't replace the strut mounts as I couldn't find any online and I don't know if the new set came with them or not and I still don't know if rear strut mounts even exist because my google searching has only turned up strut mounts for the front. Anyhow. I'm kind of at a loss as to what this could be as it seems to be an issues others on this forum have had and they all seems to have issues finding out what exactly the cause is. If anyone has any advice as to where to go from here that would be much appreciated.

Last edited by dustin11; Nov 19, 2014 at 09:38 AM.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 06:29 PM

Maybe check your rear lower control arms. I had a similar type noise and found my control arms to be very loose. Replaced both control arms and the noise was gone. I may not be right but just throwing the suggestion out there.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Put the car up on jack stands and check the rear lower control arm ball joints. Use a large pry bar. Any looseness in the joint on either side and you have found your problem. I had this exact same issue and had about 1/16 '' play on the passenger side ball joint. Every time i went over a bump it would clunk. Later when the play got worse you could feel it clunking during cornering.

There is no replacement ball joint so if you find one bad, you will have to source new arms ( best to replace them both ) or find good used ones.

Good luck
Old Dec 23, 2014, 09:01 AM

I took it to a mechanic and they weren't able to find anything wrong with anything in the rear suspension including the control arms. They did notice that my front driver side wheel hub needed replacing as they could rock the wheel back and fourth but that was just about it. When I was backing into my driveway yesterday I noticed that when I was coming to a stop I heard the same kind of popping noise as I was releasing my breaks but this time it wasn't one or two larger popping noises like it has been, this time it was a lot of smaller ones in rapid succession almost like a louder than normal creaking noise but still coming from the same side (rear passenger). I'm thinking I may need to take it to another place to be checked out since the shop I took it to this past week was having a difficult time replicating the noise when they took it on a test drive.