Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

WTB coilover suspension, but need help choosing??!!??

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2015, 04:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WTB coilover suspension, but need help choosing??!!??

Whats up evo owners?
I own a 2006 EVO 5speed and I can feel that my front shocks are knocking a little bit and the car bounces around on some roads which leads me to believe that my OEM shocks are going bad. The car has only 60,000 miles on it and its my daily, so it seemed early for them to go bad but thats besides the point. I don't goto the track or race the car, i'm just looking for a nice ride when its lowered and the option to raise it back up in the winter months of Connecticut. I always wanted to lower the car anyways and since my shocks are going bad... So much for buying Swift Spec R springs by themselves . So my question to ya'll is what coilover setup should I buy so I can kill two birds with one stone and get my shocks replaced as well as the option to lower the car in nicer weather and raise it back up for winter???? all feedback will be helpful..i don't really want to spend more then $1300 so please keep that in mind also.
THANKS!!!!!
Old Feb 22, 2015, 08:33 PM
Evolving Member

I recommend Apexi N1 coilovers for around 1k$... i know a lot of members have had success for this budget
Old Feb 23, 2015, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
FA 500's

But at that price range, it doesn't matter. Pick whatever color coilovers you like best and buy them. Fortune Auto's are good because they're a US-based company and can rebuild them when they blow or start leaking
Old Feb 23, 2015, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by llDemonll
FA 500's

But at that price range, it doesn't matter. Pick whatever color coilovers you like best and buy them. Fortune Auto's are good because they're a US-based company and can rebuild them when they blow or start leaking
2nd'ed

I have these on my Evo VIII, and you can have them upgraded with the swift springs.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 09:50 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DonHugo
2nd'ed

I have these on my Evo VIII, and you can have them upgraded with the swift springs.
If u can afford them, thumbs up for FA500's
Old Feb 24, 2015, 08:52 PM
Evolved Member

If keeping it under 1500 is a requirement then FA's are my vote.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 11:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Looks like the FA's would be the best option as other said given the price point.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 05:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I posted a thread just like this last year, FA was suggested by nearly every person. I think I got up to 2 pages worth of suggestions with probably most or all saying go with FA's...and I would have but a local buddy returned his Evo to stock so he traded me his D2 setup for my stock setup plus some cash and he installed them for me so it was too good to pass up.

This is what I'm running. Can't wait to get them on the track and see how they do since these are more of a drag-specific setup (they do well in daily driving curves)
http://www.streettunedmotorsports.co..._coilovers.htm

Last edited by NSDQ; Mar 1, 2015 at 05:54 AM.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 03:10 PM

thanks everyone for your responses...i ended up going with fa 500 series 8k front 8k rear with radial bearing mounts for less noise, for what I'm using the car for it was a great deal for the buy, ill be posting about them after the install after all this damn snow melts. thanks
Old Mar 18, 2015, 05:01 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by c.scatena
thanks everyone for your responses...i ended up going with fa 500 series 8k front 8k rear with radial bearing mounts for less noise, for what I'm using the car for it was a great deal for the buy, ill be posting about them after the install after all this damn snow melts. thanks
The spring rates aren't really optimal for our cars. Regardless, keep one thing in mind. Each time you lower and/or raise the car, you'll need an alignment. Good luck.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by FJF
The spring rates aren't really optimal for our cars. Regardless, keep one thing in mind. Each time you lower and/or raise the car, you'll need an alignment. Good luck.

When you say the spring rates aren't optimal, are you meaning the ones I went with or just in general for an evo? I was in contact with the company Fortune Auto. I had sent them an email explaining what my car is and what I eventually want out of it and they recommended 8k front and rear rates. Daily driver with no tracking/racing. I didn't want a super bumpy ride cause that's what im getting now with blown struts. I wanted a lowered aggressive look that will wont absolutely destroy handling and comfort. Ive owned lowered cars before and understand that after lowering they are going to ride stiffer, but that is part of the reason I set my budget to 1300$ so I can try and combat that area. thanks again
Old Mar 19, 2015, 04:50 AM

I forgot to mention. After doing some reading, it seems like, most people after they lower their cars with coilovers don't usually adjust the height very often. So thanks for the alignment advice. But honestly, ive been thinking and I don't think im going to touch the height after I set it to my liking. Probably only if im taking a long trip somewhere with unfamiliar roads. I wont even raise it up for the snow, ill just have to use my best judgement for storms that might be too deep to go underneath the lowered car.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 06:03 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by c.scatena
When you say the spring rates aren't optimal, are you meaning the ones I went with or just in general for an evo? I was in contact with the company Fortune Auto. I had sent them an email explaining what my car is and what I eventually want out of it and they recommended 8k front and rear rates. Daily driver with no tracking/racing. I didn't want a super bumpy ride cause that's what im getting now with blown struts. I wanted a lowered aggressive look that will wont absolutely destroy handling and comfort. Ive owned lowered cars before and understand that after lowering they are going to ride stiffer, but that is part of the reason I set my budget to 1300$ so I can try and combat that area. thanks again
Your rates are Ok for what you have noted. I run track FA510's & have worked direct w/FA on their set-ups. An 8k/8K set-up is great for the street & is set for a more neutral or understeer attitude.

If you went w/the more traditional higher rate rear i.e. 8k/10k the EVO would have more ability to oversteer when needed
Old Mar 19, 2015, 07:26 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Your rates are Ok for what you have noted. I run track FA510's & have worked direct w/FA on their set-ups. An 8k/8K set-up is great for the street & is set for a more neutral or understeer attitude.

If you went w/the more traditional higher rate rear i.e. 8k/10k the EVO would have more ability to oversteer when needed
Actually, no. 8K/10K would give a more neutral balance. Keep in mind our motion ratio.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 08:19 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
+1 for FA. be realistic about your needs. no sense in going too stiff. that's about all the advice i can give LOL

Originally Posted by FJF
Actually, no. 8K/10K would give a more neutral balance. Keep in mind our motion ratio.
agreed.

Quick Reply: WTB coilover suspension, but need help choosing??!!??