Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Anyone running Hawk HIGH PERFORMANCE STREET 5.0 pads?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2015, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
PFC Z-rated needed some heat to stop good in the cold winter mornings(I live in SoCal so not really cold) the pedal does not feel as hard, I know that is a by product of pad material. Some people prefer a harder pedal. DS2500 clicked all these with about the same amount of dust too.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 09:04 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Nimpoc
So you must like the 2500's better? Why?
feel, in both cold & @ working temp.

The braking performance was more to my liking as well.

The ds2500 braking power felt more connected to my foot; very linear, vs all other pads imo.
Old May 4, 2016, 08:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
okay, back on topic about the HPS 5.0, I am thinking of trying them myself. Here is where I am at on experience:

Stock 2005 Evo 8 and I use Centric powerslot cyro rotors and stoptech streetperformance pads and RBF 600 fluid. AWESOME. Daily driving in all yearhot/cold West Virginia weather and they are have great grab, predictable grab,cold (first stop in winter driving to work) or hot (after several hardstops in August) Very little dust in normal driving.

Autocross:as the pad gets hotter and more frequent sudden stabs of the brake it stillgrabs consisted as it did daily driving. And no squeal. No initial hard grab atfirst touch of the pedal like an HP+, but still very consistent, linear andconfidentially predictable.

Track: I have run this set up on some track days at MidOhio. The hardest stop isat the end of the back straight going into turn 7 when I go from 120 mph to 55mph very quickly. This gets repeated every 2 minutes for 20-30 minutes, withother hard braking in the other 12 turns in between. Again the brakingcontinues to be as predictable as when I run them on the street, with no weirdchanges in initial bite, no fade at the end, never kicked in the ABS (unless Iwanted it to) it just makes a lot more dust than when I street drive and I weara lot more pad with that aggressive driving. When done and after brakes arecool and I drive home, they squeal slightly on gently street stopping pressure,but as soon as I hit the wheels with wheel cleaner and hose them off, thesqueal is gone. And the dust comes off pretty easy.

I have run this set up for 14,000 miles, including about 8 autocrosses andabout 8 track days and the rotors look fine and the pads are about 65 to 75percent wore out. So time to change thepads soon.

I was thinking about trying the Hawk HPS 5.0 this time. It’s performance isbetween the HPS and HP+. I have run both of those but not the HPS5.0 The HPS is a great street andautocross pad, better than stock, quiet, low dust, but not quite the grip ofthe stoptech street performance pad and it doesn’t hold up as well under hardhot braking on a track session (but it wasn’t meant too). The HP+ has a niceinitial grab when you hit the pedal, more than stoptech, which gives you alittle confidence when you late brake into a corner and wonder if the pad willfeel like it has a firm grab or is hot, tired and has weak grip. HP+ holds upjust as good as stoptech under some 20-30 minute track sessions, but squeals alot more. About the same dust under hard breaking, and about the same rotorwear (both easy on rotors).

So it would be nice to have an Hawk pad with a little more initial bite, a littleless squeal, and hold up better under repeated hard braking and still grip whencold with that first stop in daily driving. You know, a pad between HPS andHP+. That’s is what I am told is the HPS 5.0 (again, told, haven’t tried it,just the other two). But that is alsowhat I have experienced with the stoptech, so I am debating whether toexperiment with the HPS 5.0…will it be the same as the stoptech, a littlebetter or a little worse? Eh, only way to find out is try.

Two things I do know for any pad:

The bed in procedure is important for howthe pad will perform, and if changing to a different pad on the same old rotor,wash the rotors with soap and water thoroughly, dry, and then bed in the new pad.
Any brand pad the more aggressive you get (streetto performance to track) the more dust and better hot stops but worse coldstopping power you will get. Pick a pad for the way you drive most of the time.If you only street drive and put a track pad on, don’t expect monster stoppingpower unless your rotors are glowing orange hot…and that don’t happen on streetdriving, I don’t care how spirited it is.

Old May 5, 2016, 05:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
P.S. - Stoptech street performance pads are now called Stoptech Sport Brake Pads. I don't know if the pad material formula has changed.

Old Jun 20, 2016, 10:56 AM
Former Sponsor

bump'n

car is back together & my pads are thin!

looking for replacements soon.

TIA
Old Jun 20, 2016, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
My vote is still the Girodisc S/S pads. They aren't going to help with the dusting situation but as I mentioned before low dust seems to translate to low stopping power.

They should feel very similar to your DS2500's. Hell, if you dont like them I'll buy them off you, lol.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 06:55 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by heel2toe
My vote is still the Girodisc S/S pads. They aren't going to help with the dusting situation but as I mentioned before low dust seems to translate to low stopping power.

They should feel very similar to your DS2500's. Hell, if you dont like them I'll buy them off you, lol.
Haha, thanks for the offer. Says a lot on how you feel about them.

iirc, when i researched the girodisc's, a # of people claimed of brake squeal.

i will re-look into them. Thanks for your input & advice.

fwiw, here is where im @ with the pads i have run in the past.

past pad experience in ranking order Best / worse:

ds2500.....nice pads, no fading issues @ all (never used @ track), LOTS of dust, but really quite for me....worked the best when cold, driving away in the morning, i liked these pads the best on the street – 3rd gear pulls, great pads. but the dusting sucks & made me look elsewhere. Still bought them a 2nd time 

Stoptech Street pads......eeh, some noise with little pedal pressure, dusting ok, works so-so when cold, ok braking when warm / hot. A downgrade in overall performance from ds2500’s, just not in love with them, looking for something else.

et800's.....they are nice, no fading isues @ all, low dust, kinda noisy with light brake pedal effort, works well when cold, driving away in the morning. The light pedal pressure noise ruined it for me.

ebc red......didn’t care for them, fade/shudder when slowing my car down from a 3rd gear pull, low / no dust....made some noise with light pedal effort - coming to a stop light/stop sign, works well when cold, driving away in the morning.

Duralast Ceramics…… I needed something to replace pfc. Better than pfc, but I would never buy again… they are sitting on my shelf as spares / for emergency use only.

PFC-Z rated…… garbage, took them out quickly & sold them…bad feel, no confidence

Project mu.....worse pads i ever tried....removed after the 4th day, put stockers back in & got something else.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 06:57 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
I went from ET800's on the front of my car to their next pad up, the XT910's. I'm likening them so far. A bit more dust, but they don't squeal at low pedal pressure. The et800's in the rear still squeak a bit, but it's not as bad.

Last edited by letsgetthisdone; Jun 22, 2016 at 07:11 AM.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Great summary of the different pads you've tried; I can see that feedback being useful to others folks in the market for pads. So you are clearly very particular which I think is important but I still think you need to figure out what is most important to you and go from there.

I know I said this before but you are not going to find a pad that does it all; it's just not going to happen. So once again its up to you to decide what is acceptable from a noise power dusting longevity price etc.

As far as noise is concerned, you are right the S/S pads can make some noise at times. I haven't been able to pinpoint what scenarios cause them to squeal but they are not silent. My first set of them IIRC remained almost silent the entire time. But for some reason this set has been noisier for me. I used the high temp brake grease which usually helps but I think I smoked most of it off which is probably where some of the noise is coming from. I've also been dinking my car around the past 9 months so maybe the lack of hard stops has scrubbed off the transfer layer and they just need to be rebedded. But and then again if I press the pedal hard especially once they get a lil heat in them they have great power and I find it to be quite linear which is a must for me.

But for me noise and dust is really just part of the gig and its something I'm willing to look past because their performance is solid.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 01:07 PM
Former Sponsor

still looking for evo user input on HPS 5.0's....

I read a lot of happy users of different cars, m3's, gti's, s4's..... but not much evo user experience.

current pads are getting thin...... hmmm....ds2500's or HPS 5.0's
Old Oct 25, 2016, 02:07 PM
EvoM Guru

Hard to say if the positive reviews cross over to the Evo. I think all of those cars use a floating caliper. If you can find some reviews from STI's guys I think you'd be good.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 07:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I run the Hawk HPS 5.0 on the front and HP+ on my rear and like others have said dust is an issue. I have added shims on the front and have zero noise for the most part even when my wheels are covered with brake dust. I went from O'Riley auto parts quite ceramic pads which were ok but nothing like the 5.0. I love my brakes and use my car for autocross and also I use the Stoptech Cryo treated rotors and the car is amazing. Not sure what brake oil I have but no issues with the car with this current setup.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 08:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
Hawk hps.
Intermittent squeak.
Once hot they stop on a dime.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 10:30 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
I went from ET800's on the front of my car to their next pad up, the XT910's. I'm likening them so far. A bit more dust, but they don't squeal at low pedal pressure. The et800's in the rear still squeak a bit, but it's not as bad.
any updates on the XT910 pads?
Old Nov 21, 2016, 11:25 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Aby@MIL.SPEC
any updates on the XT910 pads?
Yes, they actually make less dust than the ET800's, and they're quieter than the ET800's. They are also lasting a significant amount of time longer. They work great for high speed canyon stuff, no fading issues. And they've handled a few autocrosses. They do make some noise at low pedal pressure now, but I'm only running girodisc Ti shims. I don't have the OEM angle cut shims in place. I also don't "lube" the backing plate, all of which could be the cause. As of right now, I will be buying these again. I currently have about 5,000 miles on them.

Interestingly enough, the XT910 is now listed as a "street" pad on racing brakes website, it's no longer under "motorsport" pads.
http://www.racingbrake.com/Brake-Pad...ion-s/5786.htm

For my GF's '12 MR, I may try the Hawk 5.0's when she needs brakes, which will likely be within a few months.

Quick Reply: Anyone running Hawk HIGH PERFORMANCE STREET 5.0 pads?